X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karafan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
    This afternoon, I listened to Kempe and the Munich Philharmonic; wow! what a marvellous experience. The speeds are brisk and energetic where appropriate, and - well - the woodwind section of said orchestra at the time of the recording are sheer brilliance. Surely at the time the very best in the best in the business, and this symphony gives them a superb opportunity of a chance to shine, which they certainly do. This is all augmented by the magnificent expertise of the then EMI recording team. Such clarity, balance and realism. I have the Disky set, licensed from EMI. Get it, is my advice.
    I would in a breath, if it wouldn't involve remortgaging Karafan Towers!
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

Hi Karafan

Well, maybe it will re-surface at some point in the future at an affordable price. I certainly hope so, for your sake. When I spied this in a sale (HMV, Oxford Street) many years ago, in the days when their sales really were sales, I even hesitated before buying, naively wondering whether it would be "any good!" would you believe! So my £9.99 was well-invested, it seems. It is a wonderful set. Another set I like a lot, is the Decca Schmidt-Isserstedt, which also includes the complete piano concertos, violin concerto, and the usual 'fill-ups' of some overtures.

Comment

• Karafan
        • Nov 2010

The Kleiber Beethoven recordings (symphonies 4, 6 and 7), on Orfeo d'Or, are a bit of an odd bunch. Don't get me wrong: not in terms of performance. They are all stupendous and I certainly wouldn't be without any of them. I just find it odd that No 4 is issued on an ordinary CD (no fill-up of any kind), No 6 is also on ordinary CD* and No 7 is SACD.

All date from 1982 and 1983. *Irritatingly and inexplicably in equal measure, the Pastoral has been subjected to some special "copy protection" treatment rendering the disc unplayable in Macs or PCs. It carries a small warning to this effect on the case, where we are also alerted to the fact that "playback problems may be encountered on some equipment".

So no easily ripping it to a portable player etc (without some elaborate workarounds). Quite why they chose to do this to this CD is a mystery to me - unless it was some stricture laid down by Kleiber fils? Cannot imagine why and I have never come across another Orfeo CD, or indeed any label, with this problem. There is no word of explanation in the booklet, incidentally.

Karafan
        Last edited by Karafan; 22-11-11, 21:43.
        "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Can't believe he picked Carlos as a library choice. Surely Erich's ACO recording is way ahead....

Comment

• Biffo

Karafan: I tried the Orfeo disc in my PC. It played with foobar2000 (the player I usually use) but there was a lot of distortion. I then tried it in Windows Media Player and it was fine. I have Windows Vista but have had so many updates to it I haven't a clue which version I am using.

Comment

• Karafan
              • Nov 2010

Interesting - mine all refused point blank. Still no idea why they would want to impose this restriction in an age when people legitimately buying a disc, feel the right to be able to rip it to their personal player (and, moreover, be able to at least play it on their PC/Mac if that is where they end up sitting a lot).

K.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

I wonder if they did it because of its personal provenance from his son's cassette tape?

I bought the C. Kleiber when it appeared, was disappointed in the sound, could perceive a brisk performance though wouldn't have said a truly outstanding one. Mum kindly adopted it for the car.

Last night I played Norrington's live SWR reading again - that really is great, brisk and full of joy (if a little too metrical) in the first movement, with wonderfully uncouth shouts from the winds at the first climax; and with a remarkable Scene by a Brook, flowing along at 11"32 with a true cantabile through the phrase, softly-breathed and sung. This movement might well surprise RN's detractors, it really compels attention.

The three linked movements enchant ear and heart with their precisely-interlocking dance rhythms, warm and colourful wind solos, the storm's blunt, barked-out sonorities (thunder goes better without vibrato!) giving on to the finale's spiritual uplift, which is marvellously intense and radiant at a true tempo giusto.

Throughout one is keenly aware of a clarity of texture, the winds, horns and strings layered with a transparent, lucent beauty. Far from being a historical technician, RN makes the most of the expressive contrasts of phrase and dynamic to convey both mood and scene.

Vibrato-less or -lite playing will always be controversial, but this performance is one of the most convincing and beautiful examples I've heard.
                Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                Interesting - mine all refused point blank. Still no idea why they would want to impose this restriction in an age when people legitimately buying a disc, feel the right to be able to rip it to their personal player (and, moreover, be able to at least play it on their PC/Mac if that is where they end up sitting a lot).

K.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Fascinating as the Carlos Kleiber is I still say Bohm , E.Kleiber ,Cluytens and Boult are enough for me !

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Those good reports of the Kletzki are made out. A glorious performance with wonderfully characterful playing by the Czech PO - for once the finale is a particular delight. Highly recommended .

Looking forward to the rest of his Supraphon cycle now .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

As much as I still love those performances I now think the Philharmonia/Karajan the most beautiful and moving account of all.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        As much as I still love those performances I now think the Philharmonia/Karajan the most beautiful and moving account of all.
                        He certainly had the musicians in that orchestra, for that to be so.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lordgeous
                          • Dec 2012

I grew up with the Beecham/RPO Pastoral (on a Fontana 10" LP as I recall). Not a conductor one associates with Beethoven, I know, but I remember it as being thrilling (in the 'storm') - though what would I would make of it now, about 60 years on? I wonder if it exists anywhere still? I found this on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1NgIk0PUyw which is on Columbia but goodness knows if its the same recording? Seems unlikely as Fontana was a Philips label.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                            I grew up with the Beecham/RPO Pastoral (on a Fontana 10" LP as I recall). Not a conductor one associates with Beethoven, I know, but I remember it as being thrilling (in the 'storm') - though what would I would make of it now, about 60 years on? I wonder if it exists anywhere still? I found this on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1NgIk0PUyw which is on Columbia but goodness knows if its the same recording? Seems unlikely as Fontana was a Philips label.
                            Same recording - when it was released Columbia were released on Philips/Fontana before CBS label started to release her in the 60s. I believe it was released on a Fontana Masters of Art LP EFL2505 - coupling was Schubert Unfinished. The Pastoral is available as a cheap download on Amazon!

Comment

• Lordgeous
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Same recording - when it was released Columbia were released on Philips/Fontana before CBS label started to release her in the 60s. I believe it was released on a Fontana Masters of Art LP EFL2505 - coupling was Schubert Unfinished. The Pastoral is available as a cheap download on Amazon!
                              Many thanks - what detective work! Yes, I remember it now.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Intrigued I have found a second hand copy on Amazon for £2.82 and look forward to hearing it .

Comment

Working...
                                X