Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

No sign of any mention of Erich Kleiber either . It is as if Deathridge did not want to play excellent versions that might show a different approach to that preferred by him can succeed.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

I rather enjoyed his hated extract of the 1944 Furtwangler !
      So did I, Barbirollians - and the Rattle

As for Clootens or perhaps Clooeetens or maybe even Clutense....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

As for Clootens or perhaps Clooeetens or maybe even Clutense....

Barb, I think you and Ammy are being a little unfair on JD... I just fast-forwarded through the review, pausing to listen to each occurrence of "Cluytens" - his vagaries aren't that bad! It's only a product of how quickly he was speaking at the time. The two "Scherchen" s I heard were pretty consistent too.

I did have another giggle, though, when he said he had to part company with Walter "and Cluytens as well", the "as well" pronounced with a most odd Peter Sellers / Clouseau French accent ... "as will-euh"... Most odd.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          The two "Scherchen" s I heard were pretty consistent too.
          Worry not Barbs - "pretty consistent" I arkses ya!

Comment

• subcontrabass
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Mr Deathridge
            Professor Deathridge (or at least Dr Deathridge).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Worry not Barbs - "pretty consistent" I arkses ya!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                How you can put that thing back in your mouth ...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

well i found it great value for me license fee ... argumentative, informative and unapologetic ...more please

... and i will get the Kleiber ....
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                    well i found it great value for me license fee ... argumentative, informative and unapologetic ...more please
                    And also economical of time! I heard several BALs a few months ago where the expert had to indulge in a 'question-and-answer' session with Andrew MacGregor. Unsurprisingly these languished on for an hour or more, with, inevitably, AMcG not allowing the expert to get a word in! It was nice to get back to the old format: an expert delivering a concisely scripted review - with none of this "Well, James, what did you think of that?'"! or, more usually, "I thought.............!"

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                      And also economical of time! I heard several BALs a few months ago where the expert had to indulge in a 'question-and-answer' session with Andrew MacGregor. Unsurprisingly these languished on for an hour or more, with, inevitably, AMcG not allowing the expert to get a word in! It was nice to get back to the old format: an expert delivering a concisely scripted review - with none of this "Well, James, what did you think of that?'"! or, more usually, "I thought.............!"
                      A joint BaL could be a good thing, if they didn't feel the need to agree all the time. The one of Beethoven's Violin Concerto was the worst one I've ever heard - Roy Goodman and Andrew McGregor.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
                        Krivine: wasn't a specific recommendation, but he mentioned Norrington's & Hogwood's early versions, said he liked JEG's, but was impressed by 2 recent contenders: Krivine & Immerseel. He played extracts from both, & proceeded to rubbish some of Immerseel's tempi/transitions (& his liner notes...). The Krivine sounded really rather good: the complete set is up for discussion next week, along with the Chailly and another recent set which I can't recall at the moment.
                        I hope the Krivine 6th is better than the excerpt from 7th on the CFM Magazine cover CD - sounds dreadful!

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                          Impressed that you managed to obtain the Kempe/Munich set, 'Visual'. I take it you must have had that a while....I keep my eyes peeled for it but have to be satisfied with the few crumbs offered in the EMI Kempe 'Icon' box....

K.
                          Me too that Disky box came and went from the catalogue very swiftly!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                            • Nov 2010

I'm glad I spied it in an HMV sale (Oxford St) some years ago... hopefully it will re-emerge for you at some point in the future.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              A joint BaL could be a good thing, if they didn't feel the need to agree all the time. The one of Beethoven's Violin Concerto was the worst one I've ever heard - Roy Goodman and Andrew McGregor.
                              I missed that one! WHY would a violinist of RG's standing need the ubiquitous Mr McG to hold his hand?

Comment

• knodge41

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                                Impressed that you managed to obtain the Kempe/Munich set, 'Visual'. I take it you must have had that a while....I keep my eyes peeled for it but have to be satisfied with the few crumbs offered in the EMI Kempe 'Icon' box....

K.
                                Yes, it is a great pity that the complete Kempe (Munich SO) Beethoven cycle is currently unavailable, but the 'Icon' set does include symphonies 1,3, 5 & 6. I have part of this excellent set and the sound quality - an aspect not given much critical weight on recent BaL reviews - is excellent.

(with brief excerpts)

Comment

Working...
                                X