• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    Well that's marvellous. Why bother with anyone else?
    ......but I just wanted to know which of the Heifetz Prokofiev 2nds I should listen to...
    I only know the Mravinsky offhand. There must, surely, be others.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Well that's marvellous. Why bother with anyone else?
      ......but I just wanted to know which of the Heifetz Prokofiev 2nds I should listen to...
      Koussevitsky. Pretty sure that’s the one in the RR - the one with the fastish Andante.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
        Koussevitsky. Pretty sure that’s the one in the RR - the one with the fastish Andante.

The perhaps better known version is the stereo account with Munch - and the Andante hardly dawdles there - it is 11 seconds quicker at 7.59 rather than 8.10.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          The perhaps better known version is the stereo account with Munch - and the Andante hardly dawdles there - it is 11 seconds quicker at 7.59 rather than 8.10.
          Interestingly he Koussevitsky is Enhes’ favourite version !

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Are you suggesting he told Ben Gernon that ?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Are you suggesting he told Ben Gernon that ?
              It’s on this blog

The ultimate classical music collection in one app ✓Exclusive video concerts ✓Lossless sound quality ✓Best search ✓Curated by performers and experts ▷ Discover IDAGIO now

I’m assuming he’s referring to the 1937 recording.
              The headline is a bit misleading . It’s from another violinist.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

My tolerance for historicals seems to lessen with age and infirmity, so I found the Heifetz/Koussevitsky 1937 sonics a sonic bridge too far in the two masterings I tried....the sound barrier remained unbroken.
                Couldn't hear the orchestra properly, and I love what Prokofiev does with it here.

Boston/Munch went much better of course...
                I can see the Heifetz attraction but.... can't join in the adulation.

Genuinely taken with Ehnes/Noseda, more on each revisit.... if I wish to hear these concertos I'll probably return to that...
                Or for No.2, Kopatchinskaja (to whom I'm always drawn whatever she does - elective soloistic affinities are very subjective, aren't they...? Rooted deep in the temperamental soul....).
                Marvellous orchestra too (especially the LPO lower strings, so important here and in Prokofiev generally). Jurowski matches her point-to-point for sheer originality and individuality, both leading and following his soloist with uncannily creative fidelity. Stunning partnership!

What a gift Qobuz has been to the curious ear!
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-01-23, 18:58.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

My tolerance for historicals seems to lessen with age and infirmity, so I found the Heifetz/Koussevitsky 1937 sonics a sonic bridge too far in the two masterings I tried....the sound barrier remained unbroken.
                  Couldn't hear the orchestra properly, and I love what Prokofiev does with it here.

Boston/Munch went much better of course...
                  I can see the Heifetz attraction but.... can't join in the adulation.

Genuinely taken with Ehnes/Noseda, more on each revisit.... if I wish to hear these concertos I'll probably return to that...
                  Or for No.2, Kopatchinskaja (to whom I'm always drawn whatever she does - elective soloistic affinities are very subjective, aren't they...? Rooted deep in the temperamental soul....).
                  Marvellous orchestra too (especially the LPO lower strings, so important here and in Prokofiev generally). Jurowski matches her point-to-point for sheer originality and individuality, both leading and following his soloist with uncannily creative fidelity. Stunning partnership!

What a gift Qobuz has been to the curious ear!
                  Pat Kop's record used to be available on Amazon Prime and I was rather taken with it but rather short measure - Chung's disc includes Prokofiev 1 as well as her classic Stravinsky account. I was fascinating to read something she said about Jurowski how she loved working with him but he refused to conduct her in Tchaikovsky's VC because he disagreed strongly with her interpretation.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

Pat Kop's record used to be available on Amazon Prime and I was rather taken with it but rather short measure - Chung's disc includes Prokofiev 1 as well as her classic Stravinsky account. I was fascinating to read something she said about Jurowski how she loved working with him but he refused to conduct her in Tchaikovsky's VC because he disagreed strongly with her interpretation.
                    Shades of Richter / Karajan who went so far as to commit their disagreement on tempi in the Tschaik Bflat minor to record .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                      Shades of Richter / Karajan who went so far as to commit their disagreement on tempi in the Tschaik Bflat minor to record .
                      Have you heard her recording with Currentzis - I think Jurowski has a point and I think IGI once of this parish gave it a kicking in his recent Gramophone collection on the concerto.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Have you heard her recording with Currentzis - I think Jurowski has a point and I think IGI once of this parish gave it a kicking in his recent Gramophone collection on the concerto.
                        I was stunned with that Kop-Current Tchaikovsky, just adored it immediately, it was music renewed in an inspired act of defamiliarisation. And Les Noces was the perfectly poetically inspired coupling...
                        You need someone to do that, sometimes, with such a work - shake it up, break it up... put it back together in a new expressive form....

...and playing now....wow.
                        !
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-01-23, 20:33.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Just noticed Nathan Milstein's 1960s recordings must be out of the catalogue . I am rather fond of them.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            I think she only did the First…(?)
                            Like Julia Fischer I think.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              I couldn't agree more. I really do continue to wonder what criteria the reviewers / programme makers employ, in making their (very) shortlists.
                              Quite. A singularly unenlightening BAL I found (quite apart from any issue of partiality)
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                                Quite. A singularly unenlightening BAL I found (quite apart from any issue of partiality)
                                Great shame this wasn’t given to Marina Frolova Walker.

Comment

Working...
                                X