Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
    Absolutely right.
    Thirded!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      Thirded!
      Is it the phrasing? There’s something about Heifetz’s playing that goes right to the heart of the music. It never sounds look note spinning no matter how many he’s getting through.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

I'm not at home at present (or have other access) so need to check later, but I don't think that the Stern/Philadelphia/Ormandy version that I have has such a purgative effect!
        Chung sadly not considered.
        Or Shaham I think but was on phone briefly.

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

A great piece but surely shaded by the genius of Noel Coward's 'There are bad times just around the corner' -John Rutter's current earworm in the preceding part of the programme.
          I performed this satirical (1952) Coward classic "live" at The Pheasantry in October 2012. The song "rollicks along with macabre glee" (NCMI) and I love perf...

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
            A great piece but surely shaded by the genius of Noel Coward's 'There are bad times just around the corner' -John Rutter's current earworm in the preceding part of the programme.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX-pUFPTN6E
            Thanks for that. Brilliant!
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• mikealdren
              • Nov 2010

I certainly agree with the comments about Ehnes, technically superb but rather faceless. However I don't don't see the similarity to Bell who I find less technically assured and with a tendency to be over indulgent.

The Stern I have is the earlier (Bernstein) version - not good - and my Mullova version is the earlier Previn version. He did mention Shaham and never really explained why he had rejected it. In fact he didn't seem to summarise why he didn't like the Mullova, Jansen or the Batiashvili either or even why he rejected the Kopatchinskaja. The latter is not a safe library choice but it's by far the most interesting version.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

One of the (I suppose inevitable) features is when a new version gets introduced favourably near the end of the discussion with no comment about how that version fared up to that point.
                In this case, iirc, Mullova's third movement was used, but we don't know if she passed the tests for the first two movements.

Comment

• Wolfram
                  • Jul 2019

Thirded!
                  Fourthed!
                  Quite taken by Mintz on the little bit played this morning. Heifetz is superb, and I like Shaham’s recording very much. I thought the BaL this morning was a bit of a muddle, particularly at the end where it was all unceremoniously wrapped up and brought to a very hasty conclusion.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    I don’t really get James Ehnes . He is like Joshua Bell for me - plays wonderfully but doesn’t really ever move me.

He has close connections with the BBC Phil I think like Gernon. Perhaps you get to prefer recordings by soloists you know and have worked with ?
                    And are great mates with, apparently.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

Chung sadly not considered.
                      Just played the Chung this morning to see if memory had played tricks but, no, still as exciting and fresh as the day it was set down in the studio. Previn and the LSO provide superb accompaniment. c/w an equally stunning 1st concerto and the Stravinsky. No issues with sound quality so why the neglect on BAL?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I still like Vengerov’s. who won, btw?
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                          I still like Vengerov’s. who won, btw?
                          Ehnes to the collective bewilderment of many on this forum . The Chung / Previn is a bit of a classic IMHO and the Heifetz a notch above that.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                            And are great mates with, apparently.
                            https://twitter.com/GernonBen/status...B-wjGPWQnv_dXg
                            I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this.

Is it what the politicians would call a conflict of interest? My answer would be 'yes'. At the very least it makes the reviewer's choice of little value.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this.

Is it what the politicians would call a conflict of interest? My answer would be 'yes'.
                              People in the Arts world log rolling for their mates? Just doesn’t happen…
                              On a wider note I worry about the tendency to get professional musicians ( especially conductors with their unique power ) to do music and record reviews . There has to be some conflict unless it’s a radically different field from theirs . So for example Joanna McGregor on The Tchaikovsky piano concerto was fine.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                                Just played the Chung this morning to see if memory had played tricks but, no, still as exciting and fresh as the day it was set down in the studio. Previn and the LSO provide superb accompaniment. c/w an equally stunning 1st concerto and the Stravinsky. No issues with sound quality so why the neglect on BAL?
                                I couldn't agree more. I really do continue to wonder what criteria the reviewers / programme makers employ, in making their (very) shortlists.

Comment

Working...
                                X