X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Mal View Post
    Was it Renaud Capuçon, Gautier Capuçon, Frank Braley? Or were they later than that?
    Earlier. I will dig it out today

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Not available on Spotify - but is (I read) available on Apple Music. Why do Hyperion favour one streaming service over another? They should at least make extended highlights available on Spotify... which should show them at their best compared to others... For instance, Penguin say the Capucons are a little overpowering in the louder passages. So why don't Hyperion release the Florestans playing the movements in which these particular passages appear? If I had a chance to hear them, and find them superior to the Capucons, and am "blown away" (as I should be by a best performance...) then I'd be dashing to buy the CD.
      Apple purchased Primephonic, which was a Classical Music only streaming service. I have observed that their catalog tends to have selections not available elsewhere and I am guessing that some companies had originally made a deal with Primephonic

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Was it Renaud Capuçon, Gautier Capuçon, Frank Braley? Or were they later than that?
        So this is a CD-R that I made years ago, the original having passed out of my collection ages ago. I didn’t copy the artwork, but wrote the musicians names as “Barda/Caracilly/Heitz”
        I love this performance and have played the heck out of it but if anyone can enlighten me as to who the players are it would be much appreciated

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Later, according to the Presto site:

Ravel: Piano Trio
          Work length 27:30

Renaud Capuçon (violin), Gautier Capuçon (cello), Frank Braley (piano)
          Recorded: 2001-04-11
          Recording Venue: 9-11 April 2001 / Studio Tibor Varga, Sion
          It is in the big Warner Ravel box!

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            It is in the big Warner Ravel box!
            Indeed, as mentioned in my post #12.

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              So this is a CD-R that I made years ago, the original having passed out of my collection ages ago. I didn’t copy the artwork, but wrote the musicians names as “Barda/Caracilly/Heitz”
              I love this performance and have played the heck out of it but if anyone can enlighten me as to who the players are it would be much appreciated
              I think your recording is by Henri Barda, Yvon Caracilly and Klaus Heitz which was released by Calliope.

"I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Beresford
                • Apr 2012

I very much like the version by the Altenberg Trio. It is in the same style as Radu Lupu piano performances - can seem a bit neutral at first, but it digs out the sweet/sour (or definite/gossamer) passion in the music, without having as much added dynamics as in the Dali and Florestan trios that the reviewer liked so much. The Altenberg's reading does not wear thin on repeated listenings, on the contrary I keep finding more and more interesting things in it.

But if you like Ravel more rumbustious, then the Dali or Florestan will offer that.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                  I think your recording is by Henri Barda, Yvon Caracilly and Klaus Heitz which was released by Calliope.

Thank you

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                    That's interesting. I love 'Bolero'. The Ravel work I don't like is 'Tzigane' which used to turn up on Radio 3 far too often . Oh, and I've never been able to get into his operas, I'm afraid.

Yan Pascal Tortelier orchestrated the Trio after playing it many times with his father and sister. He said he spent approximately 1,000 hours on the task, which seems rather a lot for a work of that length. The result was beautiful, though .
                    This does deserve a higher profile doesn't it? The Chandos CD is stunningly recorded, with a very wide dynamic range, and includes some lovely performances of the other Ravel items, including the early Shéhérazade Overture, before the Trois Poèmes...

There aren't that many truly successful full-orchestral adaptations (Schoenberg/Brahms, Ravel/Moussorgsky...etc), but I feel this is certainly one of them... almost forgotten now.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      There aren't that many truly successful full-orchestral adaptations (Schoenberg/Brahms, Ravel/Moussorgsky...etc), but I feel this is certainly one of them... almost forgotten now.
                      Ooh that’s a good tip, thank you. I’ve never heard this…

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
                        I very much like the version by the Altenberg Trio. It is in the same style as Radu Lupu piano performances - can seem a bit neutral at first, but it digs out the sweet/sour (or definite/gossamer) passion in the music, without having as much added dynamics as in the Dali and Florestan trios that the reviewer liked so much. The Altenberg's reading does not wear thin on repeated listenings, on the contrary I keep finding more and more interesting things in it
                        Another good tip (as I love the Fauré trio too, and have never heard the Martin):

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                          Ooh that’s a good tip, thank you. I’ve never heard this…

My Chandos CD issue has different, less familiar couplings - the Shéhérazade Overture is fascinating and rarely heard....
                          But the sound is classic early-90s Chandos-CD.....Get it while you can! (and avoid yet another La Mer...)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                            My Chandos CD issue has different, less familiar couplings - the Shéhérazade Overture is fascinating and rarely heard....
                            But the sound is classic early-90s Chandos-CD.....Get it while you can! (and avoid yet another La Mer...)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sheherazade...ar%2C56&sr=1-1

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                              The YPT Debussy and Ravel recordings were regrouped for the box sets - I do like his records!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                The YPT Debussy and Ravel recordings were regrouped for the box sets - I do like his records!
                                There was an absolutely cracking performance of Sibelius’s Lemminkainen’s Return by YPT and the BBC Philharmonic on Through the Night a few weeks back - probably the best I’ve ever heard.

Comment

Working...
                                X