Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Just thinking - two Russian giants, Svetlanov and Rozhdestvensky did not get a mention yesterday!

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Just thinking - two Russian giants, Svetlanov and Rozhdestvensky did not get a mention yesterday!
      Nor Karajan, I believe, who recorded it five times! For whatever reason BaL seems to have it in for HvK and his recordings get passed over as if they never existed. It's one reason why I don't take BaL seriously any more.

I played the 1950s Philharmonia twice last week and it's excellent with, presumably, Dennis Brain as the horn soloist.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

I think HvK was the recommended ‘Pathetique’ when Marina Frilova-Walker did it about 5 years ago. The 1971 EMI one, that is.

Mind you, I have to say that Jansons is my favourite for the fifth.
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Nor Karajan, I believe, who recorded it five times! For whatever reason BaL seems to have it in for HvK and his recordings get passed over as if they never existed. It's one reason why I don't take BaL seriously any more.

I played the 1950s Philharmonia twice last week and it's excellent with, presumably, Dennis Brain as the horn soloist.
          It has become fashionable to decry H Von K - too smooth , too much legato , too polished . I’ve been listening to quite a bit of his Bruckner recently and I just don’t agree...

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

I always liked his 1st DGG 5th!

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I played that to death!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• silvestrione
                • Jan 2011

My favourite. Lean and concentrated. Play Gergiev/VPO after that and it seems unbelievably self-indulgent!

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                  My favourite. Lean and concentrated. Play Gergiev/VPO after that and it seems unbelievably self-indulgent!
                  Yes, I don't understand BaL's agenda with Karajan where his recordings are either routinely dismissed with a few disparaging words or ignored altogether. The knock-on effect is that his recordings don't enter the discussion much here either. i played quite a few of those 1950s Philharmonia discs last week and they are outstanding, especially in Warner's latest re-mastering which brings them up as fresh as paint.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Parry1912
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                    It has become fashionable to decry H Von K - too smooth , too much legato , too polished . I’ve been listening to quite a bit of his Bruckner recently and I just don’t agree...
                    I’ve got the big DG/Decca box and the EMI/Warner boxes and I don’t agree with those criticisms either.
                    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• PHS
                      • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                      I’ve got the big DG/Decca box and the EMI/Warner boxes and I don’t agree with those criticisms either.
                      I have those sets too and love them. The DG 1960's, 70's & 80's sets were remastered which makes them less 'string heavy'.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                        I think if you follow his Beethoven from Philharmonia days through to the final DG/BPO set it is fair to say that the polish got ‘thicker’ perhaps because he was tempted to play with the controls on the final mix so much but some of the Bruckner (and Mahler ) is just wonderful
                        PS as is the Brahms and L van B

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

The 1950s Hvk boxes are terrific. Just ordered the one with the Tchaikovsky symphonies which I had missed before.

Comment

• Goon525
                            • Feb 2014

I’ve owned the winning Oslo/Jansons version since it came out in the mid 80s, but will admit I hadn’t listened to it in decades. Prompted by BaL, I did yesterday. In all honesty, I was a fraction disappointed. I found the recording - considered demonstration class back in the day - a touch strident, and the performance good, but a bit low in temperature. I found myself wondering what Currentzis, whose Pathetique of a couple of years ago I thought magnificent, would make of the 5th. As for this Jansons, straightforward enough performance, ok as a Library choice, I suppose, but not as good as my memory of it.

Comment

• Wolfram
                              • Jul 2019

Just listened to the 1971 Karajan from the Warner remastered box. Not quite sure why one of HvK's recordings didn't get a look in.

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Wolfram View Post
                                Just listened to the 1971 Karajan from the Warner remastered box. Not quite sure why one of HvK's recordings didn't get a look in.
                                Perhaps - like certain composers - certain conductors are expected to experience a period of neglect, although I'm not sure who decides who shall be banished and for how long.

Comment

Working...
                                X