• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
    Fair point. You like the contrast; I like the mud! Very Russian!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

'Once I couldn't stand it
      Now I like it more and more (and more)'
      Full marks!

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I didn't need to listen to this BaL as I'm not in the market for another Tchaikovsky 5 to go along with the 24 already on my shelves but from reading the comments here I'm left wondering just how many versions Mr Mival considered.

It feels different from a more normal post-BaL Saturday on here in that discussion is centred around Mr Mival's disparaging comments with little bounce back on any versions actually considered. The impression I'm getting is that it was all a bit uninteresting and not up to standard.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          I didn't need to listen to this BaL as I'm not in the market for another Tchaikovsky 5 to go along with the 24 already on my shelves but from reading the comments here I'm left wondering just how many versions Mr Mival considered.

It feels different from a more normal post-BaL Saturday on here in that discussion is centred around Mr Mival's disparaging comments with little bounce back on any versions actually considered. The impression I'm getting is that it was all a bit uninteresting and not up to standard.
          I think it was pretty good but I got distracted during the first ten minutes (either by commenting in other threads or reading the paper). He ( or Andrew ) seemed to imply that he had heard a lot of versions in preparation . But pretty soon it became clear there were 3 in contention - Gergiev/VPO live , Jansons and Mvarinsky . He thought the Gergiev wonderful but marred by the odd error. The Mvarinsky horn solo , which he did not care for , has been discussed ad nauseam . In the end he plumped for Jansons to the delight of two ( I think ) forumites who had convinced themselves it would not gain ascendancy. He also like Jurowski a lot . All in all I think Mival did a good job.

Comment

• Maclintick
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
            All in all I think Mival did a good job.
            I'd agree with that, but strange, as has been pointed out here, that the R3 blurb implied that Dudamel & Karajan had been up for consideration, yet there was no mention of either on-air. Did the reviewer give any reason for his preference for Jansons' earlier account with the Oslo Phil over his later one with BRSO ? (my attention may have lapsed -- OK, this one was less-than-riveting)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
              I'd agree with that, but strange, as has been pointed out here, that the R3 blurb implied that Dudamel & Karajan had been up for consideration, yet there was no mention of either on-air.
              I've long suspected that the website is written either by bots, or by work-experience journalist hopefuls. Judging by the photographs repeated on a daily/weekly basis, I suspect they don't like the presenters much.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Well that was rather disappointing - far too many inanities from AMcG - and how Gergiev’s performance with tempi pulled all over the place came so high up heavens knows.

Szell streets ahead of most of those IMO - though the Mravinsky holds its thrill . The winner is very good but I have always felt it no better than that since buying it in the mid 1980s - Barbirolli,HVK (DG 1970s) , Cantelli big omissions for me too .

Comment

• visualnickmos
                  • Nov 2010

Here's a thing; I was looking at my few Tchaikovsky 5s, and came across one that had completely escaped me - I then remembered buying it years ago in good old Gramex! It was an EMI, Celibidache/Munchener Philharmoniker. I had never played it; the only Celibidache CD I posess, him being a conductor that has never really appeared on my radar. Anyway, gave it a spin - and - wow! I found it thrilling, sounding so 'different' and yet so 'right' at the same time.... Am I displaying "Immature Musical Tastes?"

This has led me to think about seeking out one or two more Celibidache recordings that you may recommend. Tall order, I admit, as the impression I've gained from this forum is that Celibidache is perhaps not one of the most favoured baton-wielders!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

This has led me to think about seeking out one or two more Celibidache recordings that you may recommend.
                    I would echo your own re Bruckner 6!

Celibidache - to my own total surprise, I found this very tempting indeed.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Here's a thing; I was looking at my few Tchaikovsky 5s, and came across one that had completely escaped me - I then remembered buying it years ago in good old Gramex! It was an EMI, Celibidache/Munchener Philharmoniker. I had never played it; the only Celibidache CD I posess, him being a conductor that has never really appeared on my radar. Anyway, gave it a spin - and - wow! I found it thrilling, sounding so 'different' and yet so 'right' at the same time.... Am I displaying "Immature Musical Tastes?"

This has led me to think about seeking out one or two more Celibidache recordings that you may recommend. Tall order, I admit, as the impression I've gained from this forum is that Celibidache is perhaps not one of the most favoured baton-wielders!
                      Or there’s this one which he prepared earlier!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Or there’s this one which he prepared earlier!

https://www.popsike.com/LXT-2545-Og-...371158566.html
                        Much, much earlier! Possibly gone cold by now..... but I take your point.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Don't mess about. Order the Warner Munich Years boxed set. I don't think you would regret it.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Don't mess about. Order the Warner Munich Years boxed set. I don't think you would regret it.

You did it then Bryn?

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              You did it then Bryn?
                              I did, and with no regrets.

Comment

• gradus
                                • Nov 2010

Talk of Celibidache reminds me of how highly he was regarded in the early sixties - an exotic rarely heard musician with fabled powers not unlike the view held of Michelangeli. Unfortunately I never attended a live concert from either but I sure wish I had.

Comment

Working...
                                X