Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

This was one of Ricardo Chailly’s earliest recordings for Decca with the VPO in 1983. Great things were to come from this signing. Though an early digital recording, the LP provided a more realistic soundstage and a less fraught experience than the (stereo or mono) Mravinsky that was, and still is, held as the yardstick.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
      This was one of Ricardo Chailly’s earliest recordings for Decca with the VPO in 1983. Great things were to come from this signing. Though an early digital recording, the LP provided a more realistic soundstage and a less fraught experience than the (stereo or mono) Mravinsky that was, and still is, held as the yardstick.
      Yes, but Decca early digital recordings were excellent in a way that some others (especially DG) were not.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
        Thought I'd try tracking the Monteux down.....

Recordings listed here (although, would it ever be possible for it to be complete?):

And it seems to be this recording (amongst those listed) – this is a download site:

Not sure I’m tempted by the 5th to buy a further recording but Monteux was a fine conductor. The excerpt sounds - well,its quite a resonant hall, but I wouldn't say the recording sounds compromised and really doesn't particularly show its age. Volume one on that site comprises Tchaikovsky Rome and Juliet; Piano Concerto No. 1: with John Ogdon.

My first 5th? EMI Klemperer. It took a little while to discover Mravinsky, and led me to writing Klemperer off for a long time. Except from accepting the universal recommendation for his Brahms Requiem and Beethoven Missa Solemnis – only after borrowing the Gramophone Library copy to check them out. (I remain grateful my first St Matthew Passion was in the blue DG Bach box of LPs so that would be Munchinger….).
        If it was DG probably Richter, Munchinger was on Decca - that’s my pedantic bit. As for the rest CS, the survey of the Tchaik 5 was really good. As to the LSO recordings of the Monteux, recorded at the Vienna Festival, but they are or were available as a part of the Bach Guild Big Tchaikovsky box as a very cheap download - I think from the company that Dave recently put on the Bargains thread - classics select.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

Yes, Cloughie, of course it would have been Richter... My vinyl is in store but I fancy, in the one box I kept one or two of those blue box sets for old times sake. (Never got the full set).

Comment

• Keraulophone
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Yes, but Decca early digital recordings were excellent in a way that some others (especially DG) were not.
            Indeed. Their very first one at the 1979 NYD concert (Boskovsky) was a good omen, pronounced ‘astoundingly vivid and atmospheric ... the results are phenomenal’ by Gramophone.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Yes, Cloughie, of course it would have been Richter... My vinyl is in store but I fancy, in the one box I kept one or two of those blue box sets for old times sake. (Never got the full set).
              thebachguild.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, thebachguild.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

1Romeo And Juliet (Fantasy Overture)The London Symphony Orchestra, Pierre Monteux20:46 2The Year 1812, Festival Overture In E Flat Major, Op. 49Vienna State Opera Orchestra & Mario Rossi14:50 3Capriccio Italien, Op. 45Vienna State Opera Orchestra & Mario Rossi16:00 4Serenade For Strings In C, Op. 48: I Pezzo In

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                • Jan 2014

Thanks again Cloughie, but there has to be significant attraction to get involved in big box downloads (specifically managing them...).

However, I found them on Naxos Music Library*:
                Vanguard Classics Catalogue No.: Symphony No 5, Monteux - Romeo and Juliet; Piano Concerto No. 1: with John Ogdon on ATM-CD-1894.
                EDIT: I previously cited ATM-CD-1198 Symphonies - but there - Oops - note ONLY No 5 is by Monteux. No 6 is Vienna St Op Orch Golschmann , Serenade for Strings Australian CO , Pini.

Sound not as good, and I’m busy – but – good sign –Monteux’s interpretation is making me stop and listen. Very appreciative audience at the end. I’ll listen again and having tried might be tempted to buy the FLAC downloads from CRQ....... (its only hard drive space after all...).
                (*NML: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthread.php?7506-Online-Naxos-music-library/page2)
                Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 23-03-21, 16:33.

Comment

• makropulos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Several here of this gorgeous work, mainly Russian, but it usually comes out at Svetlanov Live in Tokyo 1990 (Pony Canyon HDCD, later Exton etc...)...
                  That's pretty much where I usually end up too –absolutely thrilling. I've plenty of other favourites of which the ones I play most often are probably Mravinsky (stereo), Matacic/Czech PO, Kempe/LSO (BBC Legends), Böhm/LSO, Svetlanov's earlier EMI/Melodiya version, Jurowski/LPO...

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Thanks again Cloughie, but there has to be significant attraction to get involved in big box downloads (specifically managing them...).

However, I found them on Naxos Music Library*:
                    Vanguard Classics Catalogue No.: Symphony No 5, Monteux - Romeo and Juliet; Piano Concerto No. 1: with John Ogdon on ATM-CD-1894.
                    EDIT: I previously cited ATM-CD-1198 Symphonies - but there - Oops - note ONLY No 5 is by Monteux. No 6 is Vienna St Op Orch Golschmann , Serenade for Strings Australian CO , Pini.

Sound not as good, and I’m busy – but – good sign –Monteux’s interpretation is making me stop and listen. Very appreciative audience at the end. I’ll listen again and having tried might be tempted to buy the FLAC downloads from CRQ....... (its only hard drive space after all...).
                    (*NML: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthread.php?7506-Online-Naxos-music-library/page2)
                    At the price of the download I cherry picked a few works and produced some selected CDRs - finding listening time is another thing entirely!

Comment

• CallMePaul
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      I appear to have a mere 25 versions on my shelves or in various boxes, though it's a good while since I played any of them. My first one on LP was the stereo Leningrad PO/Mravinsky, as it probably was for many, and it still stands up well. After all these years it will still probably 'win'.
                      The problem with the stereo Mravinsky in its present incarnation is that it is spread across two discs, to fit the last 3 symphonies onto a 2-disc set. As I prefer nos 4 and 6 this is not a major issue for me but it will put off many people from buying these outstanding performances.
                      Last edited by CallMePaul; 23-03-21, 19:20. Reason: correction of typo

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                        The problem with the stereo Mravinsky in its present incarnation is that it is spread across two discs, to fit the last 3 symphonies onto a 2-disc set. As I prefer nos 4 and 6 this is not a major issue for me but it will put off many people from buying these outstanding performances.
                        Simple - burn off a CDr

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Simple - burn off a CDr
                          Cleveland/Szell and Halle /Barbirolli for me.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

Thought I'd try tracking the Monteux down.....

Recordings listed here (although, would it ever be possible for it to be complete?):

And it seems to be this recording (amongst those listed) – this is a download site:

Not sure I’m tempted by the 5th to buy a further recording but Monteux was a fine conductor. The excerpt sounds - well,its quite a resonant hall, but I wouldn't say the recording sounds compromised and really doesn't particularly show its age. Volume one on that site comprises Tchaikovsky Rome and Juliet; Piano Concerto No. 1: with John Ogdon.

My first 5th? EMI Klemperer. It took a little while to discover Mravinsky, and led me to writing Klemperer off for a long time. Except from accepting the universal recommendation for his Brahms Requiem and Beethoven Missa Solemnis – only after borrowing the Gramophone Library copy to check them out. (I remain grateful my first St Matthew Passion was in the blue DG Bach box of LPs so that would be Munchinger….).
                            Thanks CS, I was trying to remember the rest of the contents of that Montez recording. My DVD Audios are largely packed away somewhere but I am going to dig that one up.
                            I was listening to Pletnev today in multichannel on Pentatone. I remember being underwhelmed by this 5th previously but today I must be in a forgiving mood, finding it involving

I dug up the Montez. The companion pieces listed are the R&J overture, but also the PC1, with John Ogden
                            Last edited by richardfinegold; 23-03-21, 23:36.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              Cleveland/Szell and Halle /Barbirolli for me.
                              Can’t imagine Barbs being a Tchaikovskian.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                                Can’t imagine Barbs being a Tchaikovskian.
                                Why on earth not BBM? He did not record much Tchaik over his long career but his 4/5/6 are excellent as is his Serenade for Strings and a good Francesca - one of his last recordings was an incomplete Romeo & Juliet. A performance of Sym 6 with his beloved Halle in the Sheffield City Hall in the 60s was the most moving I have ever had the good fortune to hear.

Comment

Working...
                                X