• Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    The whole of the 2012 Prom including the Mena 6th is available here:

https://youtu.be/-IMR3knAPso
    The Mena 6th from that Prom is avaiable in 'HD Sound' on 'BBC Sound' at the moment (320kbps AAC-LC) (TtN last Thursday, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000z69y (about 2 hours in), as mentioned a few days ago. Good to be able tosee it, though. Even with less well defined sound.

Comment

• goldnet
      • May 2017

Just came across this thread, having read of Norrington's retirement today, and while listening to his live 6th with OAE. First movement was promising but playing in the slow movement is pretty painful.

I had the Klemperer LP for years but it was the Philharmonia with Salonen that really sold the symphony to me and it has become a firm favourite of mine since. It was a late programme substitution for a Scandinavian tour. Not someone that comes to mind as a Bruckner conductor, his 'young man's' unfussy interpretation, and the PO's playing was fabulous - thundering timpani in the first, an unworldly spiritual oboe solo, silky strings and dying, falling emphases, a crisp, brisk, almost military, scherzo and heavenly yet weighty brass in the finale. No commercial recording of course. I just rechecked my list of radio recordings - seems I have performances from Hamburg and Copenhagen (which must been pretty close to the opening of the new DR concert hall in 2009). Must see if I can find them and re-listen to see if the performances were as fine as memory recalls!
      Last edited by goldnet; 08-11-21, 19:21.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by goldnet View Post
        Just came across this thread, having read of Norrington's retirement today, and while listening to his live 6th with OAE. First movement was promising but playing in the slow movement is pretty painful.

I had the Klemperer LP for years but it was the Philharmonia with Salonen that really sold the symphony to me and it has become a firm favourite of mine since. It was a late programme substitution for a Scandinavian tour. Not someone that comes to mind as a Bruckner conductor, his 'young man's' unfussy interpretation, and the PO's playing was fabulous - thundering timpani in the first, an unworldly spiritual oboe solo, silky strings and dying, falling emphases, a crisp, brisk, almost military, scherzo and heavenly yet weighty brass in the finale. No commercial recording of course. I just rechecked my list of radio recordings - seems I have performances from Hamburg and Copenhagen (which must been pretty close to the opening of the new DR concert hall in 2009). Must see if I can find them and re-listen to see if the performances were as fine as memory recalls!
        Hey Goldnet....

Haven't seen that about Norrington.....thanks, will check out....
        See above for comments on the recent, excellent and very individual Bergen/Dausgaard and LSO/Rattle but don't miss Mena....

Comment

• goldnet
          • May 2017

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          Hey Goldnet....

Haven't seen that about Norrington.....thanks, will check out....
          See above for comments on the recent, excellent and very individual Bergen/Dausgaard and LSO/Rattle but don't miss Mena....
          http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...xceptional-6th
          Hi Jayne

See Slipped Disc about Norrington. I’ll have to give Mena a listen. Always open ears, though I will take some persuading the the BBC Phil is on par with peak PO let alone some of the competition. Salonen took the symphony to Salzburg that year with the VPO, need to add that to the week’s list too!

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Norrington’s studio recording of the Sixth is very good IMO.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              Norrington’s studio recording of the Sixth is very good IMO.
              Yes, but I think Rattle and Dausgaard even better in the same individualised, crisp and fresh vein....my Bruckner favourites with Norrington are the Original 1873 3rd and 1874 4th... he finds a lovely, strikingly singing legato line in those...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

The one that Jochum recorded with the Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, I think is rather good too, not to dispell his Dresden Staatskapelle.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                X