X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
    Momox seem to be going off the boil a bit recently. A rare box set I ordered was returned to them before it had reached me (no explanation but I suspect it was to do with box value and Brexit...) and I had to chase for a refund; yesterday a twofer arrived in a disintegrating jewel case. They have always been very reliable in the past.
    I've been keeping Momox in business with several deliveries this year, all, so far touch wood, arriving on time and in good condition.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I've been keeping Momox in business with several deliveries this year, all, so far touch wood, arriving on time and in good condition.
      Good to hear a positive report. I wonder how big an operation they are (and do they operate under other names?)

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
        Good to hear a positive report. I wonder how big an operation they are (and do they operate under other names?)
        Medimops - in Germany I think they are probably a bit like Magpie are in the UK but not related in any way.

Try googling it and get a translation.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Medimops - in Germany I think they are probably a bit like Magpie are in the UK but not related in any way.

Try googling it and get a translation.
          Indeed. I am glad to say the mishap with the Keilberth Bruckner 6 is sorted with a refund scheduled. They do seem to have a decent after-sales response system. They don't want the wrong CD back, and the recordings on it are duplicated in the Icon box, so the Beethoven 1 and 2 will go to a charity shop, once they open again.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

The Keilberth Bruckner 6 is included in the Icon box from Warner. 22 CDs for £28 qualifies it as a bargain in my view.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joseph-Keil...s=music&sr=1-1
            Can Bryn or anyone who bought this report on whether they would recommend the set on the quality of performances and recordings in this box. It looks interesting - I imagine the Mozart will be big band stuff and the set does look interesting.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Can Bryn or anyone who bought this report on whether they would recommend the set on the quality of performances and recordings in this box. It looks interesting - I imagine the Mozart will be big band stuff and the set does look interesting.
              Sorry to say that I am well behind in my listening to the contents of that box. There has been just so much to listen to in the time I have had available for listening to CDs.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                • Jan 2014

I think you can access Naxos Music Library Cloughie. The set is there under this catalogue number:

(Under the "Warner Classics" label, it isn't listed under initial "I" - where many Icon boxes appear. Its listed under "Orchestral Music - BEETHOVEN, L. van / BRAHMS, J. / BRUCKNER, A. / DVOŘÁK, A. (Joseph Keilberth - The Postwar Telefunken Recordings, 1953-1963)" Also, incidentally, there are three Icon sets (not Keilberth, as I say) under that label, and many - most of the others under "Warner Classics-Parlophone")
                Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 17-04-21, 09:52. Reason: Relocated "-Parlophone" in Label detail

Comment

• crb11
                  • Jan 2011

There's a few gems, most of it is at least pretty solid and only a few duds. Recording quality is perfectly fine except for one symphony where there's a fair bit of background noise in sections.

Highlights for me: Schubert 6, Schumann 1, Dvorak cello concerto, Bruckner 6. The Brahms symphonies are also pretty good, taken with a rather lighter touch than some of his contemporaries: the BPO pair (1,2) played better than the Bamburg pair (3,4). The Mozart, as you say, is big band stuff (more so than most of the rest of the contents) and I can't see myself listening to it again apart from possibly symphonies 40 and 41 which can take this rather more. Ditto for most of the rest of the "lighter music" (the Dvorak is better). Beethoven is perfectly acceptable but nothing special. The Hindemith I found uninspired. Reger I'm not a fan of anyway, and these performances didn't change my mind.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Thanks all for the Keilberth feedback - CS I will check it out in the Naxos library and decide whether the set is worth adding to my library - the price at under £30 for 22CDs is good!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                      • Jan 2014

I amended the label info a short while ago in my post above. And I also looked at the Am web page for the set. I came across a review by John Fowler - who usually gives the full listing for the works in situations where the Am info is woefully lacking. Interesting reading, in particular:

"Warner is vague about remasterings:
                      “The premiere STEREO release of Schubert's Sixth Symphony and all debut digital releases [ten percent of the contents] have been remastered by Art & Son Studio, Annecy, in 24-bit/96kHz using original tapes.”
                      No mention of the other ninety percent.
                      Thirty years ago I purchased seven German-made Teldec CDs of Keilberth.
                      The new CDs sound pretty much the same
                      Additional Keilberth CDs were produced by Warner Japan, but I haven't heard them.
                      With the exception of the 1951 Berlin Philharmonic Brahms First, the mono recordings are not very good.
                      The 1954 stereo Schubert Sixth is also pretty raw, but interesting as an experiment.
                      Things improve after that.
                      One observation: In the 1950s, the Hamburg State Philharmonic was a better orchestra than the Bamberg Symphony.
                      The Berlin Philharmonic was of course better than either.
                      In addition to the Berlin Philharmonic recordings, the 1963 disc of Richard Strauss orchestral music from his operas, recorded with the Bavarian Staatsorchester, struck me as the highlight of this set.
                      Also the best recorded."

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Anyone heard the new BBCPO/Mena?

I remember enjoying their Proms performance several seasons ago. Why the long delay in release?

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                          Anyone heard the new BBCPO/Mena?

I remember enjoying their Proms performance several seasons ago. Why the long delay in release?
                          With enough outstanding versions on my shelves already I've no particular reason to add this one, Alison. I'm not sure when it was recorded but one always used to be suspicious of long delayed releases on the grounds that if they'd got a winner on their hands no time would have been wasted in issuing it. On the other hand, Covid gets the blame for everything delayed these days so that may be the case here.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

With enough outstanding versions on my shelves already I've no particular reason to add this one, Alison. I'm not sure when it was recorded but one always used to be suspicious of long delayed releases on the grounds that if they'd got a winner on their hands no time would have been wasted in issuing it. On the other hand, Covid gets the blame for everything delayed these days so that may be the case here.
                            This was recorded at MediaCity in 2012, a month before their excellent Proms performance, which I reviewed very enthusiastically at the time (still there for eager beavers to seek out...). The recording sounds fine though I haven't heard it right through. But it is a very good, thoughtful and considered 6th.

Things did get rather vigorous back then didn't they?

...I see I've changed my own views on Bruckner performance in the interim too....I don't mind volatile tempi at all now... or as much rubato as you like...
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 30-08-21, 21:15.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              This was recorded at MediaCity in 2012, a month before their excellent Proms performance, which I reviewed very enthusiastically at the time (still there for eager beavers to seek out...). The recording sounds fine though I haven't heard it right through. But it is a very good, thoughtful and considered 6th.

Things did get rather vigorous back then didn't they?

...I see I've changed my own views on Bruckner performance in the interim too....I don't mind volatile tempi at all now... or as much rubato as you like...

Nine years ago?? That's an awfully long time for a new recording to be languishing in the vaults. Very strange.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                                • Jan 2014

Nine years ago?? That's an awfully long time for a new recording to be languishing in the vaults. Very strange.
                                Well received (enough) at the time of performance and broadcast. And - how many orchestral - large orchestra - recordings have Chandos been able to record since March 2020? Could be they feel the need to fill gaps in the flow of recordings to be published every month. (Generally, it seems there's been a fair few recital and small ensemble recordings made, for obvious reasons...)

Chandos works with the BBC Philharmonic quite a bit, or issues recordings made by them; there is something of a symbiotic relationship between them and the BBC orchestras, I'd say. Certainly to the benefit of British Music lovers....

I sang (guesting in the chorus) for a Prom conducted by Mena - a new work. Getting a decent performance with complicated forces, assembled at the one pre concert day tutti rehearsal was presumably enough of a challenge. I've not followed the BBC Phil and Mena's tenure, but my impression is that generally he wasn't regarded as setting the world alight, but could turn in fairly inspired performances on occasion and competent ones in general. That really is a vague impression and I always regret trying to express that a performer is completely professional and adequate, which sounds a grudging tone to take. There must be multiple reasons why many or most performances are not perceived as more than "fine" / "decent". They can't all come along with the reputation of Gunter Wand.........

For all that, I did wonder whether Mena had been under-rated. On the limited insight I had at the rehearsals he seemed a little reserved - or perhaps I mean not reaching out to the assembled forces with exuberant expressions and demands or exhortations - just level, reasonable and correct requests, expecting we would try as hard as possible to achieve what he wanted.

As to the Bruckner, I might just listen, but am unlikely to buy. I have a few Bruckner 6th recordings on CD, and don't need any more in the house (he said!). I trust the recording will remain available on the streaming services............
                                Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 31-08-21, 14:44. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X