• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 20.02.21 - Bruckner: Symphony no. 6

9.30 Building a Library
    Tom Service chooses his favourite recording of Anton Bruckner’s Symphony No. 6 in A major.

“Die Sechste ist die keckste” — “The sixth is the boldest/sauciest” — is how Bruckner’s described the shortest and for a long time the least performed of his mature symphonies (Bruckner only ever heard the two middle movements in a private performance). But this bold and saucy Bruckner is now much less of a repertoire rarity, reflected in a clutch of recent recordings from conductors who perhaps relish the lack of the performing traditions that cling so doggedly to this symphony’s successors.

Available versions:-

Wiener Symphoniker, Charles Adler
    Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Gerd Albrecht *
    Vienna Symphony Orchestra, Volkmar Andreae *
    Jugendsinfonieorchester Oberösterreich, Rémy Ballo (SACD)
    Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Daniel Barenboim
    Staatskapelle Berlin, Daniel Barenboim *
    Staatskapelle Berlin, Daniel Barenboim (DVD/Blu-ray)
    Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Daniel Barenboim *
    Staatskapelle Berlin, Daniel Barenboim
    Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic Orchestra *
    San Francisco Symphony, Herbert Blomstedt *
    Mozarteumorchester Salzburg, Ivor Bolton
    Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, Heinz Bongartz
    Sinfonieorchester Aachen, Marcus Bosch (SACD)
    SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg, Sylvain Cambreling *
    Münchner Philharmoniker, Sergiu Celibidache
    Concertgebouw Orchestra, Riccardo Chailly
    Brucknerorchester Linz, Dennis Russell Davies
    London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis *
    Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Thomas Dausgaard (SACD)
    Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, Andreas Delfs *
    London Philharmonic Orchestra, Christoph Eschenbach
    Berliner Philharmoniker, Wilhelm Furtwängler (Movements 2-4 only)
    Münchner Philharmoniker, Valery Gergiev
    Münchner Philharmoniker, Valery Gergiev (DVD/Blu-ray)
    South West German Radio Symphony Orchestra Baden-Baden, Michael Gielen
    Concertgebouw Orchestra, Bernard Haitink *
    Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Bernard Haitink
    Staatskapelle Dresden, Bernard Haitink
    Radio-Sinfonie-Orchester Frankfurt, Eliahu Inbal *
    Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra, Eliahu Inbal *
    Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Marek Janowski (SACD)
    Berliner Philharmoniker, Mariss Jansons
    Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Mariss Jansons
    Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Mariss Jansons (SACD)
    Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra, Paavo Järvi *
    Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Eugen Jochum
    Staatskapelle Dresden, Eugen Jochum
    Berliner Philharmoniker, Herbert von Karajan
    Berliner Philharmoniker, Joseph Keilberth
    BBC Symphony Orchestra, Otto Klemperer
    Concertgebouw Orchestra, Otto Klemperer
    Concertgebouw Orchestra, Otto Klemperer (SACD)
    New Philharmonia Orchestra, Otto Klemperer *
    SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg, Ferdinand Leitner
    Symphony Orchestra of Norrlands Opera, Ira Levin *
    Korean Symphony Orchestra, Hun-Joung Lim *
    Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Lorin Maazel
    Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, Kurt Masur
    Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart des SWR, Hans Müller-Kray *
    Berliner Philharmoniker, Riccardo Muti *
    Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, Andris Nelsons
    Orchestre Metropolitain de Montreal, Yannick Nezet-Seguin
    Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart des SWR, Sir Roger Norrington *
    WDR Sinfonieorchester Köln, Sir Roger Norrington
    London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Simon Rattle (SACD)
    Westphalian Symphony Orchestra, Hubert Reichert *
    Südwestfunk-Orchester Baden-Baden, Hans Rosbaud
    USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra, Guennadi Rozhdestvenski *
    Bavarian State Orchestra, Wolfgang Sawallisch
    Philharmonie Festiva, Gerd Schaller
    Saarbrücken Radio Symphony Orchestra, Stanislaw Skrowaczewski
    Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Sir Georg Solti
    Wiener Philharmoniker, Horst Stein
    Staatskapelle Dresden, Christian Thielemann (DVD/Blu-ray)
    Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Robin Ticciati
    New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, Georg Tintner
    Berner Symphonieorchester, Mario Venzago
    Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Günter Wand
    Kölner Rundfunk-Sinfonie-Orchester, Günter Wand
    Münchner Philharmoniker, Günter Wand
    Vienna Philharmonic, Cohn Weiss *
    Hamburg Philharmonic, Simone Young (SACD)
    Netherlands Radio Philharmonic Orchestra, Jaap van Zweden (SACD)

(* = download only)
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 20-02-21, 11:21.
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Wonderful choice of symphony, perfect reviewer for it.......most here will recall his excellent 12/2016 survey of the Bruckner 3rd, which dealt very well and elegantly with the editions....(finally choosing the 1873 original, in Blomstedt's second Leipzig performance...).....

No such editional problems here of course. But some excellent recent recordings are among the very best I know, namely LSO/Rattle (LSO Live) and Bergen SO/Dausgaard (BIS)..... both on SACD too....
    I wonder if outliers such as the pioneering echt-Viennese Volkmar Andreae or the left-field but still very idiomatic Venzago will get a mention....not that I would choose them as a one-and-only, but then I wouldn't choose any recording as a one-and-only!

Otherwise, Norrington and Klemperer are different types of classic.... and the various Haitink readings. Despite the sonic glories of Munich and Dresden, I favour the earliest Amsterdam taping for its swiftness, directness and fresh, slightly lean sonority...
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 05-02-21, 22:15.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

For a long time, I only had the "Unbegun" recording by Furtwangler. Now I have Stein and Janowski too.

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

I hope Klemperer isn’t chosen, good in its day but readily surpassed IMHO.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

It took a long time for the 6th to click into place for me but when it did it was at a live performance with the Concertgebouw and Chailly at Symphony Hall, Birmingham, in, I think, 1996. I've not heard the Chailly recording for many years and will dig it out before the BaL.

My first recording was the adulated Philharmonia/Klemperer but I've never got on with it and fail to understand the veneration in which Richard Osborne, for one, holds it. Nowadays my preference is for Haitink, Jochum and Karajan and the relatively recent BRSO/Haitink would be my first choice. The 6th also has my favourite Bruckner scherzo (those magical horns in the trio!) and most thrilling first movement coda.

It's difficult to see why the 6th is still somewhat neglected in the concert hall.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

As is well known, I always stand by the Klemperer as a true Brucknerian classic, sonically, musically and historically. Both the EMI Studio and the GROC reproduce beautifully here, but also on some less analytical systems I've replayed them on. A recorded sound of great depth, spaciousness and natural balance. I prefer a swifter first movement nowadays, but Klemperer thinks through the structure beautifully, craggy, direct, and keeping the 2+3 rhythm clear. He misses no detail, judges tempi relations effortlessly, and the Philharmonia match his every direction. (Playing now....and still sounding as good as ever....so atmospheric at the start of the development...then the gradual increase in tension, dynamics and urgency...this guy knows how it goes, and how to get the orchestra to do it. My word, what an orchestra it is, in my room here and now......)

Is there a single tempo change, anywhere in the first movement, that doesn't feel giusto? No. It all flows beautifully...

A classic of the Philharmonia and Kingsway tradition, with as fine an engineering pedigree as you could wish. I'd be surprised if it isn't somewhere near Tom's shortlist.
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 05-02-21, 22:14.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

As I think I have mentioned previously, the 6th is the only Bruckner symphony for which I have the score (critical edition), purchased in my youth. I guess it must have made quite an impression on me. Looking forward to this one. It will be interesting to hear to what extent TS lets AMcG get a word in.

Comment

• Darloboy
                • Jun 2019

Not a work that BaL covers often. In fact, as far as I can tell, it was last discussed in March 1982 when Richard Osborne presented the programme. Not sure who "won" but I believe Herbert von Karajan was big in the '80s.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  As is well known, I always stand by the Klemperer as a true Brucknerian classic, sonically, musically and historically. Both the EMI Studio and the GROC reproduce beautifully here, but also on some less analytical systems I've replayed them on. A recorded sound of great depth, spaciousness and natural balance. I prefer a swifter first movement nowadays, but Klemperer thinks through the structure beautifully, craggy, direct, and keeping the 2+3 rhythm clear. He misses no detail, judges tempi relations effortlessly, and the Philharmonia match his every direction. (Playing now....and still sounding as good as ever....so atmospheric at the start of the development...then the gradual increase in tension, dynamics and urgency...this guy knows how it goes, and how to get the orchestra to do it. My word, what an orchestra it is, in my room here and now......)

Is there a single tempo change, anywhere in the first movement, that doesn't feel giusto? No. It all flows beautifully...

A classic of the Philharmonia and Kingsway tradition, with as fine an engineering pedigree as you could wish. I'd be surprised if it isn't somewhere near Tom's shortlist.
                  JLW, I have the Klemperer now in the Warner box along with his other Bruckner recordings but I've not heard it for some years and that was in the original 1990 CD issue much lauded by RO. As ever, your enthusiasm is infectious and I'll make sure I give it another listen before the BaL.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

I'm rather surprised to see that I've got 20 versions of the 6th on my shelves and with new issues from Nelsons and Jansons (neither of which I have) it will be interesting to see how the latter two match up to their predecessors.

In addition to the ones I mention above in #5, I especially like a live 1995 Günter Wand recording with the NDR Sinfonie-orchester (not on Alpie's list, presumably nla) and I'd choose that alongside the BRSO/Haitink as my prime choice.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      I'm rather surprised to see that I've got 20 versions of the 6th on my shelves and with new issues from Nelsons and Jansons (neither of which I have) it will be interesting to see how the latter two match up to their predecessors.

In addition to the ones I mention above in #5, I especially like a live 1995 Günter Wand recording with the NDR Sinfonie-orchester (not on Alpie's list, presumably nla) and I'd choose that alongside the BRSO/Haitink as my prime choice.
                      It doeds indeed seem to have been deleted. However, there is a used copy to be had: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sy...=music&sr=1-16 and new in https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which I paid a great deal less for in March 2018.

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        It doeds indeed seem to have been deleted. However, there is a used copy to be had: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sy...=music&sr=1-16 and new in https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which I paid a great deal less for in March 2018.
                        Bryn, this is the one I was referring to: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sy...s=music&sr=1-1

It must be different to the one you reference as I see that both are included in the 33 disc set which you also reference.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Bryn, this is the one I was referring to: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sy...s=music&sr=1-1

It must be different to the one you reference as I see that both are included in the 33 disc set which you also reference.
                          Same cover illustration; recorded 'live' May 15th 1995, the fourth disc in the 33 Disc box. The first I linked to turns out to have been recorded in 1988.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Darloboy View Post
                            Not a work that BaL covers often. In fact, as far as I can tell, it was last discussed in March 1982 when Richard Osborne presented the programme. Not sure who "won" but I believe Herbert von Karajan was big in the '80s.
                            RO of that vintage would, IIRC, have favoured Klemperer and the Chicago SO/Barenboim .... later he was very taken with the SWR (then Stuttgart)/Norrington (Gramophone 11/2008, with some interesting comments re. Klemperer...)...

Comment

• vibratoforever
                              • Jul 2012

The 1995 Wand is my favourite as well. It is available from Presto as a download, not sure if so elsewhere

Comment

Working...
                              X