Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lordgeous
    • Dec 2012

Shame that Ian Partridge didn't even get a mention, or the Pears/Britten (aquired taste though that might be) but I did like her reccomendations too. Another case maybe of BAL not really being an adequate format with so many recordings available. I doubt she listened to many of them!

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      His recording of Die schöne Müllerin with Gerald Moore on a mono LP was what got me into Lieder over 50 years ago.
      Never bettered, IMV.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
        Shame that Ian Partridge didn't even get a mention, or the Pears/Britten (aquired taste though that might be) but I did like her reccomendations too. Another case maybe of BAL not really being an adequate format with so many recordings available. I doubt she listened to many of them!
        Given Professor Tunbridge's publications include studies of historic recordings of Schumann lieder, I would be surprised if she didn't know many of them, although how many of them she listened to in the period leading up to the recording of Saturday's broadcast - and how many were chosen for her by the producer - is another matter.

I don't think that the Partridge recording of Dichterliebe is easily available new? (My experience with it is identical to keraulophone's - studied the work at "O"-level, needed a recording - the cheap CfP was issued in the same year.)
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          G(My experience with it is identical to keraulophone's - studied the work at "O"-level, needed a recording - the cheap CfP was issued in the same year.)
          It's scary to think I could have taught either of you. I remember teaching it as a set work. I think the school had a DF-D recording.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Interesting to note that when it was last done (only nine years ago in June 2010) ...
            Just as an afterword, on a casual stroll down the Memory Land that is the BBC Genome, I discovered that Dichterliebe was the first work ever reviewed on a Radio 3 Building a Library - within half-an-hour of the station opening on 30th September, 1967, Charles Osborne was doing the honours.

Alas, no record (<ho-ho>) of which versions were then available, nor which he selected.

(The programme, which had already been broadcast for over a decade on the Third Programme, was broadcast from 8:00 - 9:00 am, and was followed by a complete broadcast of Mozart's La Clemenzo di Tito. Aaarh - them weret' days!)
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
            X