• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
    One I’ll be missing.
    I note that this piece of music which is one of my most beloved works seems to be of only niche interest, even on this message board, with a measly 14 posts. I enjoyed the BaL and would certainly go along with the selection of Gerhaher/Huber. What came across (especially, for instance, when she revealingly played multifarious versions of the single phrase "ich liebe dich" from Wenn ich in deine Augen seh) was the impossibility of choosing one recording, with so many brilliantly diverse variants on offer - voice, word-pointing, nationality of singer, accompanist, piano/fortepiano, male/female, live/studio, different transpositions, the low or high note on "Herzen" in Ich grolle nicht", different interpretations of the poetry etc etc.

My suggestion: Just get loads of recordings and relish them all. I have about twenty and still going.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

A long, deafening silence on today's edition! (PS Sorry Gurnemanz, I'd missed your post while typing...) Lips buttoned on the usual disapprobation of format in view of the Season of Goodwill, or just lack of interest? Or maybe everyone's off round the January sales??

I thought it interesting and enlightening in many respects (cycle first performed by a woman; 4 songs dropped by RS - were they published as stand-alone? - must check Sams!)

Didn't feel that Tunbridge managed to convey (illustrate) who did the cycle best overall as an artistic unity (lack of time, as usual?), but many interesting illustrations of good performance performance variants. Could have done with hearing more of Padmore with fortepiano - he suddenly came up fast late on from the back of the pack Pleasing to see the late Peter Schreier there in the photo-finish too, and ditto Wunderlich and his pianist Giesen, who even got a separate commendation (Guess that this may completely discredit Ms Tunbridge with some of her fellow-reviewers, but not me.)

Don't think I'm rushing to buy, unless it's Padmore...

PS(2):Had forgotten I'd already got a fortepiano version on order - see #14

PS(3): Been wondering rather what doing the cycle "as an artistic unity" might mean these days. Pure speculation, but perhaps early performances in and around the Schumanns' home might have been a tiny bit comfortable, with Heine's big extremes slightly toned down with a nudge and a wink, "Dear me, these Romantic poets!" Where today we probably prefer to go always for the extremes, the maximum, the nightmare, the Gothic, never the salon-comfortable... And such an approach makes the concept of artistic unity elusive, and perhaps completely off the point.

Just a thought: feel free to give me multiple barrels of critical shotgun
      Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 28-12-19, 13:45. Reason: Further 'thoughts'(?)
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

The classic Peter Schreier + Eschenbach LP has been put on YouTube by someone:

Robert Schumann - Dichterliebe Op. 48 (I-VIII) - Peter Schreier - Christoph EschenbachI made the conversion to digital from an old LP

Absolutely wonderful. I gave it a spin last night, partly in memory of Peter, but also knowing BAL was going to discuss a piece of great significance to me. If you get over the slightly over-Romanticised first song (I prefer it stated more simply) it's a great and heartfelt performance by both artists.

The other performance of which we heard a snatch (approx 38 mins from start) was the Prégardien/Gees....

Schumann: Dichterliebe, Gedichte und Requiem & Wagner: Wesendonck Lieder. Challenge Classics: CC72788. Buy SACD or download online. Christoph Prégardien (tenor), Michael Gees (piano)

....which came out recently and was already on my what-to-do-with-Christmas-tokens list, There was a little confusion (surprise, surprise) about whether the piano was a fortepiano. It is emphatically not. 'A 19thC. Blüthner' is a grand-piano of the 'modern' ilk. There are lots still around in private homes, churches and smaller concert venues. They are highly regarded by those who accompany singers. They are sometimes described as having a soft and silvery treble which matches the voice better (IMHO) than the ubiquitous Steinway. So I'm really glad to be getting this disc.

(There is a real fortepiano in one of the final choices, and we got all the usual blather about the differences. etc, etc, which I think we all know by now?)
        Last edited by ardcarp; 28-12-19, 14:26.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          . . . My suggestion: Just get loads of recordings and relish them all. I have about twenty and still going.
          I too enjoyed this BAL. Have about a dozen recordings, only one of which (Wunderlich) merited a mention.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
            I too enjoyed this BAL. Have about a dozen recordings, only one of which (Wunderlich) merited a mention.
            Glad they played the postlude in full. Lovely singing in all versions ... but only one Wunderlich.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Glad they played the postlude in full.
              Me too. It certainly shows the 50/50 role of piano and singer in Dichterliebe.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                A long, deafening silence on today's edition!
                Yes. I noticed that when I was updating the OP to show the recommended versions. Not a whisper for several days.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Yes. I noticed that when I was updating the OP to show the recommended versions. Not a whisper for several days.
                  Alpie: I thought it was Schreier in the top four at the end, not Fassbaender? Not absolutely sure which version, but one with Sawallisch certainly got a mention earlier.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Alpie: I thought it was Schreier in the top four at the end, not Fassbaender? Not absolutely sure which version, but one with Sawallisch certainly got a mention earlier.
                    You may well be correct. I missed the broadcast, so I copied the results from the R3 webpage. I've just checked and it still gives the Fassbaender, but I've listened to the end of the programme, and you ARE right.
                    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-12-19, 22:51.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I thought it was Schreier in the top four at the end...
                      But which Schreier? There are four.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

This is what appears on the website...when you've managed to locate it:

Recommended Recording:

Christian Gerhaher (baritone)

Gerold Huber (piano)

RCA 82876589952 (Download only)

Other Recommended Recordings:

Fritz Wunderlich (tenor)

Hubert Giesen (piano)

Deutsche Grammophon 4497472 (Download) and 4796438 (32 CDs)

Brigitte Fassbaender (mezzo)

Aribert Reimann (piano)

EMI 6829682 (8 CDs)and Warner Classics 2435580125 (download)

Mark Padmore (tenor)

Kristian Bezuidenhout (fortepiano)

Harmonia Mundi HMU907521

Sadly, no sign of any of Schreier's recordings.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          But which Schreier? There are four.
                          See #23, probably the live one with Sawallisch.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

This was the 2010 verdict:

Hilary Finch’s choices:
                            Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (baritone) /Jörg Demus (piano)[1965 recording]
                            Deutsche Grammophon 4635052 (CD or Download)

Richard Wigmore’s choices:
                            Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (baritone) / Chrisoph Eschenbach (piano)
                            Deutsche Grammophon 4744662 (2CD)

PS In Nov 1998, working on her own, Hilary Finch's first choice was Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau/Jörg Demus (1965)
                            ...and it was also Fischer-Dieskau’s choice out of his several recordings from which to play an excerpt during an evening at Wigmore Hall in May 1995 to celebrate his 70th birthday. This 1965 stereo recording with Demus had its release deferred by DG for some reason, but happily it emerged in time for that most enjoyable occasion, at which a multitude of famous musicians had gathered.

(He had retired from public performance five years earlier, and I had the pleasure and privilege of attending the last (all Wolf) of three final London recitals he gave at the QEH. It was an experience I’ll never forget, as it seemed that he was singing to me personally, straight at my inner self, even though I was sitting most of the way back from the stage.)

Having studied this marvellous song cycle as a set work for Music O-level, aged 13-14 (a year earlier than my other O-levels as it was extra-curricular), it has a special place in my heart. I think our teacher used the Wunderlich/Giesen LP for illustrative purposes, but being impecunious, I bought the Partridge Family CfP LP when it was issued three years later, and which I preferred at the time. Has any British tenor been blessed with more beauty of tone, or had a sister who could accompany so sensitively?

I was always fascinated by the final piano postlude which I often tried to play back then. What an education in itself!
                            Last edited by Keraulophone; 29-12-19, 06:08.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Has any British tenor been blessed with more beauty of tone...?
                              Maybe a few, but I agree that IP is tops, and possibly his recordings are a bit neglected just at the moment.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                                ...and it was also Fischer-Dieskau’s choice out of his several recordings from which to play an excerpt during an evening at Wigmore Hall in May 1995 to celebrate his 70th birthday. This 1965 stereo recording with Demus had its release deferred by DG for some reason, but happily it emerged in time for that most enjoyable occasion, at which a multitude of famous musicians had gathered.

(He had retired from public performance five years earlier, and I had the pleasure and privilege of attending the last (all Wolf) of three final London recitals he gave at the QEH. It was an experience I’ll never forget, as it seemed that he was singing to me personally, straight at my inner self, even though I was sitting most of the way back from the stage.)
                                We also attended F-D's 70th birthday evening at Wigmore. (I remember seeing Ian Bostridge sitting a few seats away). Thanks for reminding me about his Dichterliebe choice which I had forgotten. Your other reminiscence alas serves to remind me that I never actually managed to hear him in a live recital. His recording of Die schöne Müllerin with Gerald Moore on a mono LP was what got me into Lieder over 50 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X