• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

BaL 2.11.2019/28.3.20 - Bach: Violin Concerto in E BWV 1042

With Mark Lowther.

I've only ever had trad Zukerman/ECO on LP and HIPP Elizabeth Wallfisch/OAE on CD.

It's the latter that I listen to these days.
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Yet another BaL on classical pops.....

Still, very enjoyable pieces..... most recently, outstanding, top-of-the-tree albums from Faust and Sato....

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

My first encounter with this work was the classic CfP version with Hugh Bean and Kenneth Sillitoe. To be honest, I forget who played the E major and who played the a minor although I know they combined to play the great Double Concerto. (It's always a feeling of sadness when I see a recording of the Bach Violin Concertos and the 'Double' is omitted!)

I do love the recording of Anne-Sophie Mutter and Salvatore Accardo with the English Chamber Orchestra. (Having said that, I'm hard pressed to think of a duff one although a distinguished teacher of mine HATED the Perlman/Zukerman disc which he described as 'intensely unmusical!')

Comment

• CallMePaul
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Yet another BaL on classical pops
        The choice of works so far this season worries me far more than the format. Also, surely anyone wanting the E major concerto will also want its companion piece in A minor; as neither is long then surely both could have been reviewed together?

My only version is the Podger/ Brecon Baroque on Channel Classics. I have very little interest in historic recordings of Bach but I suspect that the reviewer (a new name to me) will have been instructed to consider such versions as the Oistrakhs, Menuhin etc.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

It is odd (not to say Quixotic) to isolate just the one, isn't it?

The Isabelle Faust/AAMB double-CD album is especially compelling as you get all three 1041-43 Concertos in outstandingly fresh recordings, but many far less familiar works along with them....

One of my records of 2019, definitely....(as Shunske Sato/Il Pomo D'oro was in 2018.... I am very fond the works despite the familiarity....)
          Great buys/streams both, for anyone wishing to renew acquaintance and response....
          Listen to unlimited or download Bach: Violin Concertos by Shunske Sato in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.
          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 28-10-19, 21:05.

Comment

• mikealdren
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            (Having said that, I'm hard pressed to think of a duff one although a distinguished teacher of mine HATED the Perlman/Zukerman disc which he described as 'intensely unmusical!')
            If your teacher was referring to the Perlman's ECO disk conducted by Barenboim, I would agree, certainly the most disappointing of the 18 recordings I have, turgid and dull.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

I'm sure that we'll all forgive Alpie if compiling the list has proved too gargantuan a task for this work.
              A quick search on the Presto site produced 228 results, broken down as follows:
              CD 122
              SACD 3
              Presto CD 7
              Download 171
              Hi-Res Download 7
              Super Hi-Res Download 4
              DVD video 1
              All DVD & Blu-ray videos 1
              Vinyl 1

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                I'm sure that we'll all forgive Alpie if compiling the list has proved too gargantuan a task for this work.

Alpie's on holiday.

But he'll be compiling the Mahler 3 list for the following week.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  A quick search on the Presto site produced 228 results, broken down as follows:
                  CD 122
                  SACD 3
                  Presto CD 7
                  Download 171
                  Hi-Res Download 7
                  Super Hi-Res Download 4
                  DVD video 1
                  All DVD & Blu-ray videos 1
                  Vinyl 1

https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...bwv1042/browse
                  I wonder what Bach would think if he could come back today and see how revered his music is today!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

I hope this programming doesn’t mean it’s going to dumb down even further!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Alpie's on holiday.

But he'll be compiling the Mahler 3 list for the following week.
                      Should be a doddle compared with the Bach - Presto list a mere 151 recordings
                      Keep up the good work, it's much appreciated.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        I wonder what Bach would think if he could come back today and see how revered his music is today!
                        At least King Frederick the Great appreciated the greatness of 'Old Bach': https://youtu.be/WdmcabpiGYU

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Interesting, and good result I'd say. I was listening, and occasionally cutting across to the debacle unfolding on ITV.

I thought Mr Lowther's considered delivery, pauses, etc., effectively cut across AMcG's normal game - sort of Arthur Ashe to Andrew's Jimmy Connors. And coherent thesis. The Perlman came as a shock.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

I heard part of this as I was making coffee, and was impressed by Mr Lowther's considered comments and enthusiasm - and very happy with his two last choices.

I heard the comment on the Ibragimova recording describing one moment of interpretation as "adding nothing, and possibly taking something away" - precisely what I felt (as always) about AMcG's twitterings.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

With the acquisition of so many big box sets of CDs, I’ve acquired a few extra versions of the piece, but Manze and Podger are my prefered versions

Comment

Working...
                              X