Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wolfram
    • Jul 2019

I really enjoyed this BaL, thanks in no small part to Iain Burnside's authorititive contribution; as Caliban rightly says he transcended the issues with the format and delivered the first one for a long time that I haven't wanted to turn off half way through. Which made it a little bit of a shame that his final reccommendation erred, I thought, on the side of being a 'safe' choice; it would have been nice if he had taken a punt, perhaps, on Tomowa-Sintow, which I was really impressed by, and which is coupled on disc with a worthwhile closing scene from Capriccio. I was also impressed by the Isokoski/Janowski recording, mainly because of the clarity the of the orchestral textures that Janowski achieves; you could really the woodwind parts in the clips played. I think he was a tad harsh on Janowitz though; I wonder if he'd listened to the Haitink recording when he prepared his short list? In the end I wouldn't dispute his final choices, except to add Della Casa and one or other of the Janowitz recordings.

I note that the Studer/Sinopoli has found advocates on this thread. I don't know this recording, but am a massive Studer fan. So I may have to follow this up. Thank you Sir Velo.

Comment

• Mal
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Hmm. I woukd recommend ignoring the jaded views of Graeme Thomson and continuing to watch/listen beyond Mal's 10 minutes. Yes, it is aimed at a wider audience, but there is much worthy of consideration in there.
      OK, maybe me and Graeme were a bit harsh, but I think it could have been much better. I'd like to have seen more scans of Yentob's brain. Does his brain light up with the Olympic anthem, dubstep, or Wombling Merry Christmas?

Comment

• Goon525
        • Feb 2014

It seems that contributors are now limited to a shortlist of precisely ten versions.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
          It seems that contributors are now limited to a shortlist of precisely ten versions.
          Yes, but Lise Davidsen appeared to be included only to be immediately rejected, probably because it is a talked-about new recording, which they felt they should illustrate. On the basis of the reviewer's comments it would not seem to be a top ten favourite of his: Quote here from Mal's summary above: “Too careful, Salonen, not the feeling we want” ‘edge to the recording, steely sound’ “rather weighty voice”.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
            What happens if there are only nine available?

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              What happens if there are only nine available?
              Maybe they'll invent a fantasy version that either never got recorded or they hope will be in future?

Perhaps we should do that for each thread too!

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                Maybe they'll invent a fantasy version that either never got recorded or they hope will be in future?

Perhaps we should do that for each thread too!
                I really like the way that Barbra Streisand does them, but Dolly Parton and Lady Gaga don’t really cut them!

Comment

• mikealdren
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  I haven't counted the number of recordings listed in #1, but Iain Burnside (or somebody) must have been pretty ruthless when producing any 'short list', especially in the light of postings mentioning regrettable omissions.
                  Yes, looks like the AMcG format limits us to 10 now. At least IB did mention many versions he had listened to and had to reject.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Found my EMI References LP of Schwarzkopf/Ackermann in the attic.

Only 19 mins or so much quicker than with Szell - much less creamy and much more character as I remembered. Still not quite in the Jurinac,Della Casa, Janowitz league.

Comment

• Goon525
                      • Feb 2014

I’ve just got round to listening to the 'winner'. Mattila is pretty good, though I’m not sure I’d prefer her to Janowitz in this music. What did strike me was that this recording was made during a period when DG opted for rather artificial in-your-face balances, and I just didn’t find it sounded terribly natural. Quite a contrast with the brilliant results they’re currently getting in Boston and Leipzig.

Comment

Working...
                      X