• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    My mistake. It's the Markevitch live recording that's in the Legends box.
    The pair on Testament (mono '51, stereo '58) with Markevitch and the Philharmonia are fascinatingly compared (and with Craft/LSO too) by the great Jon Swain in G-6/97....where he acclaims the later version as a truly great one.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      My mistake. It's the Markevitch live recording that's in the Legends box.
      I saw Markevich perform the Rite with the LSO in a disappointingly lumbering account from around 1980 just three years before his death.

My first recorded Rite was Solti/Chicago SO which blew my socks off and an LP that got played to destruction. This is a piece that demands the best sound so there will be a fair few that can quickly be discounted. I have many of those listed and if pushed to choose three I'd go for Philadelphia/Muti, Mariinsky/Gergiev and Lucerne FO/Chailly.

The 'best recorded bass drum' award goes to LSO/Eugene Goosens in an otherwise unremarkable account, unless, of course, anyone knows better.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Is well worth having for the choreography.

Comment

• edashtav
          • Jul 2012

I'm towards the Jayne wing of this debate: the Rite is, rightfully, ubiquitous, so I rely on live performances and radio relays to keep me in touch whilst resorting to the Columbia / IS on disc as a touchstone.

BUT, it will be fascinating what bubbles to the surface in this BaL.

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

I was there at the RFH for BBCSO/Boulez. Front row of the choir seats. 1972.

Breathtaking.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
              I was there at the RFH for BBCSO/Boulez. Front row of the choir seats. 1972.

Breathtaking.
              Oh dear. It was, IIRC, following that very concert that I challenged him in the Green Room re. his early introduction of the crucial tempo marking referred to in #10. From memory, it was something he always did. If Stravinsky could pull it off, to great effect, as marked, why was it Boulez either couldn't, or more likely, wouldn't? Then there was his replacing arco with pizz, mentioned by pastoralguy in #14. That said, some of his modifications of scores came off rather well, the thumbing into resonance of the cymbal at the start of Part 2 of Mahler's 8th, for instance. I like to think that Mahler would have approved, and might have called for the same, had he thought of it.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                The pair on Testament (mono '51, stereo '58) with Markevitch and the Philharmonia are fascinatingly compared (and with Craft/LSO too) by the great Jon Swain in G-6/97....where he acclaims the later version as a truly great one.
                I note that the recorded voice of member Swain can be heard presenting TtN tonight.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                  I too have the anniversary 'big boxes' although, like Petrushka, I've not heard them all. Of the many versions I HAVE heard, The Philadelphia Orchestra under Muti is a great favourite. I've collected various discs of this over the years and it's a really good disc for Hi-Fi demonstrations!

The only version I really don't like is Boulez where a lot of the string's arco markings are changed to pizzicato!
                  Petrushka may well have done; it's me, Pulcinella (post #5), who, like you, hasn't.

I'll now have to listen to the Boulez afresh, to see where these pizzicato strings are.
                  (And I still have the Schoenberg SQ 3 to come to terms with, and all those versions of Bolero to get through!)
                  Last edited by Pulcinella; 29-06-19, 08:38. Reason: Corrected to make sense, though pg has already quoted!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    Petrushka may well have done; it's me, Pulcinella (post #5), who, like you, hasn't.

I'll now have to listen to the Boulez afresh, so where these pizzicato strings are.
                    (And I still have the Schoenberg SQ 3 to come to terms with, and all those versions of Bolero to get through!)
                    Sincere apologies!

Comment

• Darloboy
                      • Jun 2019

Thanks for the huge list!

Last time (2008) Eötvös was first choice. In 2004 it was Levi; and Rattle/CBSO was runner up. I’ve a feeling that on this occasion it’ll be Xavier-Roth.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Darloboy View Post
                        Thanks for the huge list!

Last time (2008) Eötvös was first choice. In 2004 it was Levi; and Rattle/CBSO was runner up. I’ve a feeling that on this occasion it’ll be Xavier-Roth.
                        ...and the size of the field will automatically erase 80% for consideration. So my choices of MinSO Dorati - The first one, PO Markevitch (1951) and LAPO Mehta, may not feature - there are many other good ones so it will be interesting. I see that the Sacre Decca box is still available for under £60, though too many duplications for me, but it is an attractive set!

Comment

• Mal
                          • Dec 2016

At least Jonathan Cross appears to be an expert on Stravinsky, given the following CV, perhaps even the top expert:

Equally important, as his online videos show, he appears to be an enthusiast, and able to get that enthusiasm across to the common listener. Hope he doesn't slip into an academic staff meeting bored tone for BAL (too many have recently!)

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                            At least Jonathan Cross appears to be an expert on Stravinsky, given the following CV, perhaps even the top expert:

Equally important, as his online videos show, he appears to be an enthusiast, and able to get that enthusiasm across to the common listener. Hope he doesn't slip into an academic staff meeting bored tone for BAL (too many have recently!)
                            Should be very interesting this one.
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              ...and the size of the field will automatically erase 80% for consideration. So my choices of MinSO Dorati - The first one, PO Markevitch (1951) and LAPO Mehta, may not feature - there are many other good ones so it will be interesting. I see that the Sacre Decca box is still available for under £60, though too many duplications for me, but it is an attractive set!
                              I’d forgotten about that box Cloughmeister. Good steer.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                ...and the size of the field will automatically erase 80% for consideration.
                                I think I have the solution:-

Cancel Breakfast on Saturday morning and begin RR at 6.30 a.m. Begin BaL at 7.00, allowing three hours until 10.00. Then continue RR as normal. I know that would mean extending RR by 20 minutes, but it's already been hacked to allow Jess Gillam to talk over the music, immediately after Tom Service has done the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X