Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I remember John Lade as being the Record Review frontman when I started listening in the 1980's. (Remember the signature tune was the ? Aria Italian from Britten's 'Frank Bridge' Variations. (I remember having to sight read it whilst auditioning for an orchestra and thinking So THAT'S what that is!) Alas, I have no recordings from that era although I do have lots of mini-discs of RR from 2001 onwards.

One day, in the future, hopefully these programmes will be available online.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

John Lade introduced the programme from its first edition in 1957 - Paul Vaughan (also the "voice" of BBC2's Horizon documentaries in the '80s) took over in 1981. Before the Britten, the signature tune was a movement from Jean Francaix' L'horloge de flore for Oboe & chamber orchestra.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pianoman
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Before the Britten, the signature tune was a movement from Jean Francaix' L'horloge de flore for Oboe & chamber orchestra.
        Aye, that's it - the 4th movt. Nichante du Malabar - a catchy ear-worm if ever there was one...

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

We need more signature tunes!

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
            Aye, that's it - the 4th movt. Nichante du Malabar - a catchy ear-worm if ever there was one...
            I believe the John de Lancie LSO Previn recording was used!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
              I had the sense that when Mal started his BAL reports that they were a useful precis of the broadcast - useful for those of us who had failed to listen.

Now we know that they are thinly-disguised vehicles for parading his musical prejudices.
              Come off it. If we cannot express our opinions on a musical forum without being attacked for doing so, why are are we here in the first place?

Comment

• Mal
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

One day, in the future, hopefully these programmes will be available online.
                Why not upload them to youtube?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Come off it. If we cannot express our opinions on a musical forum without being attacked for doing so, why are are we here in the first place?
                  Deep

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                    Why not upload them to youtube?
                    © ?

Comment

• mikealdren
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Absolutely, the real issue is the 'attacking'. Some of the more skillful on this forum manage to express alternative views without the acidic edge. After all, most of the views expressed are inevitably subjective, yes they are strongly held, music means a lot to us, but others hear things differently.

I, for instance, really don't like Du Pre's Elgar and I've never taken to Wagner. Please don't attack me for it, it's probably a genetic defect.

Comment

• Mal
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        [uploading BALs] © ?
                        It should be OK, there are some desert island disks on there. The BBC get revenue from advertising.

"YouTube employs a robust system called Content ID that allows copyright owners to identify and to manage how their content is used on YouTube. Every video uploaded to YouTube is scanned against the Content ID database to detect if it contains any copyrighted music or video."

Learn how YouTube's copyright system works, how to legally use copyrighted music in YouTube videos and how to resolve third-party copyright claims.

The only thing against it, that I can see, is that you would be slaving for the BBC

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

It should be OK, there are some desert island disks on there. The BBC get revenue from advertising.

"YouTube employs a robust system called Content ID that allows copyright owners to identify and to manage how their content is used on YouTube. Every video uploaded to YouTube is scanned against the Content ID database to detect if it contains any copyrighted music or video."

Learn how YouTube's copyright system works, how to legally use copyrighted music in YouTube videos and how to resolve third-party copyright claims.

The only thing against it, that I can see, is that you would be slaving for the BBC
                          "Robust"

I made a piece a while back and Soundcloud (who are apparently using a similar system) decided it belonged to someone else......

It's not the BBC who need the money but the musicians.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Deep
                            Shallow

Comment

• Mal
                              • Dec 2016

It's not the BBC who need the money but the musicians.
                              The BBC are providing free advertising for the performers. Also musicians employed by the BBC should get some benefit. Can't see how uploading BALs would do anything other than benefit musicians.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

The BBC are providing free advertising for the performers. Also musicians employed by the BBC should get some benefit. Can't see how uploading BALs would do anything other than benefit musicians.
                                Performers usually don't really need so called "free" advertising
                                One of the most active FB groups in recent years was for musicians who were being asked to play for nothing at the Olympics with the offer of "exposure".

Comment

Working...
                                X