X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    ... and, lo and behold! - it was that very Wallberg recording that was my first - and for many years, the only - version of the work I ever owned, but in its MfP (10p cheaper than CfP LPs) incarnation, in which the orchestra was given its "proper" title:

I haven't heard it in ... well, must be around 30 years, but I have very fond memories of the performance, which was often played in my teens. (And the same goes for the Schubert coupling.)
    I wonder if the master tapes still exist for these recordings.

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
      I agree with Master Jacques and wish to put in a good word, as the programme did, for Herbert Blomstedt's calm, insightful and very musical recording.

And... full marks to this thread which has delved so much deeper, and wider than the broadcast Bal.
      I too, was impressed by Herbert Blomstedt's recording - based of course, on a very small extract, but nevertheless, it sounded well-worth 'further investigation'. It had the feel of that Mediterranean sultriness of a calm, hot summer afternoon.

Comment

• Master Jacques
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        I concur that the Italian is FM symphonic masterpiece, although in the right hands The Scottish can be very impressive as well. If we subtracted the Italian from FM catalog, he might be demoted to the ranks of Second Rate Composer, but with this Symphony,the MSND music, the VC and the Octet and a few other Chamber Works he Chas enough in his portfolio to cling precipitously to the top ring.
        Clinging precipitously? You do mention the "a few other chamber works", concerning which I'd want to make a strong case for the String Quartets, certainly the most important 19th c. body of such works next to Beethoven, with the String Trios (likewise) and the Cello Sonatas running them close.

Then there's Elijah which - judging from the performance I heard last year at the Barbican, marvellously thrilling and thought-provoking under Hilary Davan Wetton - still tops the 19th c. oratorio tree comfortably.

And the overtures ... to take just one, The Hebrides remains one of the most important orchestral works ever written, and shows no signs of fading at all. A work to marvel at every time we hear it, for peerless imagination, daring, and innovative power. We shouldn't let over-familiarity dull our response to it.

Personally, I find hearing "new" Mendelssohn often amazes me. Last year for example, I listened to Die erste Walpurgisnacht properly for the first time, with libretto, translation and full score. Goethe and Mendelssohn between them manage to pull the rug from under organised Christianity in the most unexpected - and subtle - way, by giving us the narrative from the side of the alleged "wizards and witches", in fact perfectly respectable nature worshippers who are being harried and sadistically persecuted by puritanical Christian militants. It is as hard-hitting and arresting a work as I've heard for years. And it is - very good - Mendelssohn.

I don't myself see much finger-nail clinging going on here, but there we are!

Comment

• Master Jacques
          • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
          As these threads always do,absolutely no need to listen to the programme and get all worked up
          Yes indeed. I've just made the mistake of doing that. Thank goodness for this thread! The BaL reviewer was displaying all the lively wit and critical acumen of a stuffed mole.

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
            Yes indeed. I've just made the mistake of doing that. Thank goodness for this thread! The BaL reviewer was displaying all the lively wit and critical acumen of a stuffed mole.
            The BaL did somewhat limp its way along, that's for sure!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Do we still need to defend the greatness of Mendelssohn? How long have you got?

A whole string of masterpieces, with amazingly consistent melodic inspiration, formal innovation, an obsessive and inventive rhythmic energy.... often surprising degree of emotional intensity too... (close to Schumann in so many ways).
              The string quartets are almost an autobiography.

Bit late for an essay now. Want to hear Gardner in the Reformation again....
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 03-06-19, 04:00.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                I didn't listen - I don't these days - but that does seem just a smidgen ... harsh?
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  I concur that the Italian is FM symphonic masterpiece, although in the right hands The Scottish can be very impressive as well. If we subtracted the Italian from FM catalog, he might be demoted to the ranks of Second Rate Composer, but with this Symphony,the MSND music, the VC and the Octet and a few other Chamber Works he Chas enough in his portfolio to cling precipitously to the top ring.
                  Well, rfg, your views are your own and you are free to air them. I disagree with you! How can a composer who has given us so much music that has that ‘good to be alive’ feeling about it be deemed a 2nd rate composer? I admit that some of his long choral works go on a bit and I would not want to sit through one, and the lovely, lively Sinfonia from Sym 2, probably the work goes downhill a bit after the choral movements enter!

Comment

• edashtav
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    I didn't listen - I don't these days - but that does seem just a smidgen ... harsh?
                    I listened live and whilst I agree with the thrust if your remarks, Master Jaques, Oliver, as the heart of his name suggests, was lively and quite witty. I instance his accurate, and deadly, characterisation of John Eliot Gardiner's interpretation.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

A whole string of masterpieces, with amazingly consistent melodic inspiration, formal innovation, an obsessive and inventive rhythmic energy.... often surprising degree of emotional intensity too... (close to Schumann in so many ways).

And unlike Schumann he was of course also a dynamic and charismatic musical operator and communicator, as conductor, concert promoter and teacher (founder of the Leipzig Conservatoire.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                        • Jan 2019

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

As you know Jayne I'm an FMB nut,hey I even rate his Piano Sonatas
                        “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Edgy 2
                          • Jan 2019

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          Well, rfg, your views are your own and you are free to air them. I disagree with you! How can a composer who has given us so much music that has that ‘good to be alive’ feeling about it be deemed a 2nd rate composer? I admit that some of his long choral works go on a bit and I would not want to sit through one, and the lovely, lively Sinfonia from Sym 2, probably the work goes downhill a bit after the choral movements enter!
                          And yet I'd rather listen to Mendelssohn 2 than LvB 9,does that make me a bad person ?
                          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

And yet I'd rather listen to Mendelssohn 2 than LvB 9,does that make me a bad person ?
                            I would rather listen to Mend 2 - Sinfonia , then LvB 9 first three movts and avoid the choral movements of each - does that make me a bad person (and a bleeding chunker)!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

No, just one of questionable musical taste.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                No, just one of questionable musical taste.
                                Depends on who’s asking the question. As we well know on these boards musical taste is wonderfully personal!

Comment

Working...
                                X