• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 25.05.19 - Bach: Ascension Oratorio

Building a Library: Hannah French listens to and compares recordings of Bach’s Ascension Oratorio ‘Lobet Gott in seinen Reichen‘ BWV 11.
    Composed probably in 1735 for the feast of the Ascension, the text of Bach’s oratorio comprises several biblical sources, free poetry and chorales. It tells the narrative of Christ’s ascension to Heaven, as told in the Gospels of Luke and Mark, and in the Acts of the Apostles. As is often the case in Bach’s music, several of the movements from the Ascension Oratorio are re-workings of parts of earlier cantatas, while the alto aria was used again much later for the plangent Agnus Dei of his Mass in B minor.

Available versions:-

Jan Kobow , Gotthold Schwarz, Joanne Lunn, Elisabeth Jansson, Samuel Boden, Tobias Berndt, David Allsopp, Barockorchester Stuttgart, Kammerchor Stuttgart, Frieder Bernius

Ann Monoyios, Daniel Taylor, Frederick Urrey, Christòpheren Nomura, Bach Choir Of Bethlehem, Bach Festival Orchestra, Greg Funfgeld

Lenneke Ruiten, Meg Bragle, Andrew Tortise, Dietrich Henschel, Monteverdi Choir, English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner

Carolyn Sampson, Iestyn Davies, James Gilchrist, Petery Harvey, Retrospect Ensemble, Matthew Halls

Kurt Equiluz, Max van Egmond, Paul Esswood, Soloist of the Wiener Sängerknaben, Wiener Sängerknaben, Chorus Viennensis, Concentus musicus Wien, Nikolaus Harnoncourt

Barbara Schlick, Catherine Patriasz, Christoph Prégardien & Peter Kooy, Collegium Vocale Gent, Philippe Herreweghe *

William Herbert, William Parsons, Kathleen Ferrier, Ena Mitchell, Jacques Orchestra, Reginald Jacques

Neumeyer Consort & Gutenberg-Kammerchor, Felix Koch

Sandrine Piau, Johannette Zomer, Sibylla Rubens, Bogna Bartosz, Bernhard Landauer, James Gilchrist, Christoph Prégardien, Jörg Dürmüller, Klaus Mertens, Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra & Choir, Ton Koopman

Siri Thornhill, Petra Noskaiova, Christoph Genz, Jan van der Crabben, La Petite Bande, Sigiswald Kuijken (SACD)

Martyn Hill, Stephen Roberts, Alfreda Hodgson, Margaret Marshall, Choir of King’s College Cambridge, English Chamber Orchestra, Sir Philip Ledger *

Christoph Prégardien, David Wilson-Johnson, Monika Frimmer, Ralf Popken, Choir Of The Age Of Enlightenment, Gustav Leonhardt *

Buckel, Engen, Fischer-Dieskau, Haefliger, Mathis, Moll, Reynolds, Schreier, Töpper, van Kesteren, Münchener Bach-Chor & Münchener Bach-Orchester, Karl Richter *

Costanza Cuccaro,, Mechthild Georg, Adalbert Kraus, Andreas Schmidt
    Gächinger Kantorei, Stuttgart Choir, Stuttgart Bach Collegium Orchestra, Kammerorchester Heilbronn, Helmuth Rilling

Yukari Nonshita, Patrick van Goethem, Jan Kobow, Chiyuki Urano, Bach Collegium Japan, Masaaki Suzuki (SACD)

* = download only
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 25-05-19, 12:50.
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Aaagh, the heading might be taken to mean it's not a twofer
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

I first met this glorious music as an A-level set work, when it cast its spell on an unsuspecting teenager. My Harnoncourt LP (1971) was played nearly to destruction. Those tactile early Telefunken boxes included useful full scores (curiously printed in sepia) and even the choir of King’s College Cambridge/DVW, though not in No.11. The problem with having the opening as the ring tone on my mobile phone is that callers often have to wait until I’ve had enough of a BWV 11 fix.

Didn’t the Andrew Parrott/Taverner Consort (1989, EMI) recording get a recommendation in a past BaL?

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
        I first met this glorious music as an A-level set work, when it cast its spell on an unsuspecting teenager. My Harnoncourt LP (1971) was played nearly to destruction. Those tactile early Telefunken boxes included useful full scores (curiously printed in sepia) and even the choir of King’s College Cambridge/DVW, though not in No.11. The problem with having the opening as the ring tone on my mobile phone is that callers often have to wait until I’ve had enough of a BWV 11 fix.

Didn’t the Andrew Parrott/Taverner Consort (1989, EMI) recording get a recommendation in a past BaL?
        But with those dreadfully awkward to read clefs, mentioned in another thread.
        Rather naughtily, when I disposed of my Christmas Oratorio LP set, I kept the score, but it's surplus to requirements as I now have a pocket score edition.
        Happy to send to anyone who'd like it: PM me if interested.

Comment

• RayC
          • Dec 2014

Versions - see also

[QUOTE=Eine Alpensinfonie;738066]09.30

Carolyn Sampson, Iestyn Davies, James Gilchrist, Peter Harvey, Restrospect Ensemble, Matthew Halls, Linn Echo

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
            Aaagh, the heading might be taken to mean it's not a twofer
            It has just been announced that next week ‘Hannah French will join me ...’

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

It's another twofer: just heard the dreaded words 'joins me'.

Can they really be getting the positive comments about this format that they told me they were when they replied to my 'complaint' recently?

PS: Dovers got in first.
              Last edited by Pulcinella; 18-05-19, 10:18. Reason: PS added.

Comment

• CallMePaul
                • Jan 2014

It;s good to see a Christian work discussed at the liturgically appropriate time - Ascension Day is, of course, the following Thursday this year.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                  It;s good to see a Christian work discussed at the liturgically appropriate time - Ascension Day is, of course, the following Thursday this year.
                  Yes, better timing than last November's Couperin Leçons de Ténèbres (only slightly mitigated by the Vivaldi Gloria nearer Christmas).

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... but God, living in an Eternal Present, probably won't mind too much.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I see not the usual suspects have recorded this work. I don’t know this one, actually.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                        I see not the usual suspects have recorded this work. I don’t know this one, actually.
                        Oh, it's a super piece, Bbm - do Spotify at your earliest: I think you're in for a treat (and one of those unsettling moments when Bach uses a movement more familiar in another context, but with just enough difference to keep you on your toes.

I have three recordings: Herreweghe, Parrott, and Leonhardt; all regularly featured in my listening.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Mal
                          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

I have three recordings: Herreweghe, Parrott, and Leonhardt; all regularly featured in my listening.
                          Do they all have translations? Amazon reviewer says Parrot's five CD box set does not... that's Virgin on the ridiculous.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                            Do they all have translations? Amazon reviewer says Parrot's five CD box set does not... that's Virgin on the ridiculous.
                            I have the Veritas double CD - no, no texts or translations. Easily available online:

Emmanuel Music is your place to discover and take a deep dive into some of the most transcendent and enduring music ever written. Whether you’re a first-time listener, a musician, or a scholar, Emmanuel Music offers meaningful opportunities to engage with the works of Bach and composers he inspired.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Master Jacques
                              • Feb 2012

Brilliantly useful thread, thank you - as I do not know this work at all, it's very helpful indeed to have the field mapped out this way.

Comment

Working...
                              X