• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 4.05.19 - Beethoven: Piano Trios Op. 1

Building a Library: Helen Wallace listens to and compares recordings of Beethoven’s Piano Trios Op. 1
    Beethoven’s Opus 1 is a set of three piano trios (written for piano, violin, and cello), first performed and published in 1795. The wit, creativity and sheer energy of these works is astonishing. Clearly Beethoven waited until he had three substantial works he was happy with to publish as his first Opus number. They must have made quite a splash at the time, and remain infectiously vital pieces today.

Available versions:-

Itzhak Perlman, Lynn Harrell, Vladimir Ashkenazy
    Van Baerle Trio (SACD)
    Daniel Sepec, Jean-Guihen Queyras, Andreas Staier
    European Fine Arts Trio
    Gryphon Trio *
    Trio Wanderer
    Beaux Arts Trio
    Isaac Stern, Leonard Rose, Eugene Istomin *
    Isaac Stern, Leonard Rose, Eugene Istomin (DVD)
    Xyrion Trio
    Trio Italiano
    Abegg Trio
    Gould Piano Trio
    Pinchas Zukerman, Jacqueline du Pré, Daniel Barenboim
    Oliver Schnyder Trio
    Florestan Trio
    Trio Metamorphosi *
    Trio Goya
    The Castle Trio *
    TrioVanBeethoven
    Borodin Trio
    Stuttgart Piano Trio
    Haydn Trio Eisenstadt
    Peabody Trio *
    Trio Elegiaque *
    English Piano Trio
    Swiss Piano Trio
    Tero Latvala, Marko Ylonen, Risto Lauriala
    Trio Parnassus
    Max Brod Trio (SACD)
    Trio con Brio Copenhagen
    European Fine Arts Trio

* = download only
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 04-05-19, 21:34.
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Strangely, I was listening to this today - Beaux Arts. Peerless, in my opinion. That's not to say I don't admire others; Isaac Stern, Leonard Rose, Eugene Istomin are wonderful, too.... as are Pinchas Zukerman, Jacqueline du Pré, Daniel Barenboim.

I look forward to hearing other interpretations, and hope for a rewarding BaL.

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

The Castle Trio and Sepec/Staier/Queyras have long been favourites of mine.

Comment

• rauschwerk
        • Nov 2010

I once owned the second Beaux Arts recording but when I heard the Florestan Trio recording I thought it superior in many respects. Their playing absolutely fizzes with vitality, and Susan Tomes is a real powerhouse. That's now the only version of these three trios on my shelves, and it will probably stay that way whatever the BaL recommendation.

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

Astonishingly, I only have one version of each of these wonderful trios - all on LP - Nos 1 and 2 by the Beaux Arts (1965) and No 3 by the Suk Trio (1963).

I'll listen again to all three, but definitely time for something new.

Comment

• mikealdren
            • Nov 2010

Not a great Stern fan but nevertheless it's Stern, Rose, Istomin for me, ever since I first heard their Archduke. It's the only set but I have a number of other individual trios, mostly violinist led (Oistrakh, Heifetz, Kogan, Mullova etc.). The sets are dominated by more regular trios.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
              The Castle Trio and Sepec/Staier/Queyras have long been favourites of mine.
              ... how many of the trios did Sepec/Staier/Queyras do?

I can only find their op 1 no 3 and op 70 no 5.

Did they do more of op 1?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... how many of the trios did Sepec/Staier/Queyras do?

I can only find their op 1 no 3 and op 70 no 5.

Did they do more of op 1?

That's the lot sadly. The trios are accompanied by the two violin sonatas Op 23 and op 30 no.2 (Sepec/Staier only obviously) on a double CD.

Queyras did record the Archduke and my own personal favourite of the trios, op 70/2 with Faust and Melnikov.

Currently, I don't believe there is a complete HIPP survey, so you have to pick 'n' mix.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                  That's the lot sadly. The trios are accompanied by the two violin sonatas Op 23 and op 30 no.2 (Sepec/Staier only obviously) on a double CD.

Queyras did record the Archduke and my own personal favourite of the trios, op 70/2 with Faust and Melnikov.

Currently, I don't believe there is a complete HIPP survey, so you have to pick 'n' mix.
                  ... thanks for that. I shall have to get that 70/2...

The HIPPs I have apart from that Staier/Sepec/Queyras are the London Fortepiano Trio with op 1/1 and op 1/2, and the Castle Trio twofer, op 1/1, op 1/2, op 1/3, op 11,WoO 38 and 39.

I must look around to see if there are more HIPPs to fill the gaps...

[ ... (non-HIPP, but ... ) - I have been much enjoying the complete survey by Trio Élégiaque, 5 CDs on the brilliant label. ]

Last edited by vinteuil; 27-04-19, 10:44.

Comment

• Mal
                    • Dec 2016

I didn't have the Op.1 trios, so earlier this year I did a lot of comparing online before purchase. I thought the second set from the Beaux arts (Cohen incarnation) was superior to anything else I heard... though I could only hear one minute snippets of the Florestan from the Hyperion site. Comparing the snippets, I thought the slower approach of the Beaux Arts brought out more beauty and warmth. I have some of the later trios from the Stuttgart trio, who are also in the "fizz and buzz" school, and I still consider them a nice supplement to the Beaux Arts. But I though the Stuttgart just didn't have the lyricism and gravitas of the Beaux Arts, especially in Op.1. Anyway, I've now listened to the full (5CD) Beethoven trio box set and am very happy with my purchase

Actually, I should put it stronger than this. The reason I didn't have opus 1 was because I hadn't heard a version I liked until hearing the Beaux Arts, this created a "I must have this!" moment.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... thanks for that. I shall have to get that 70/2...

The HIPPs I have apart from that Staier/Sepec/Queyras are the London Fortepiano Trio with op 1/1 and op 1/2, and the Castle Trio twofer, op 1/1, op 1/2, op 1/3, op 11,WoO 38 and 39.

I must look around to see if there are more HIPPs to fill the gaps...

[ ... (non-HIPP, but ... ) - I have been much enjoying the complete survey by Trio Élégiaque, 5 CDs on the brilliant label. ]

I have these HIPP ones on my shelves which make up the three trios...they can still be had second hand on Amazon for a low price:

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        Strangely, I was listening to this today - Beaux Arts. Peerless, in my opinion. That's not to say I don't admire others; Isaac Stern, Leonard Rose, Eugene Istomin are wonderful, too.... as are Pinchas Zukerman, Jacqueline du Pré, Daniel Barenboim.

I look forward to hearing other interpretations, and hope for a rewarding BaL.
                        Beaux Arts very strong in Op.1. I don’t much care for their Archduke, but that isn’t the consideration here. The Naxos set is very worthwhile

Comment

• Pianophile
                          • Dec 2010

I have the Beaux Arts and the complete set by Trio Zingara on Collins which I remember really enjoying.
                          Must give these a spin this week.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

I could not face last week's twofer- anyone know whether this is yet another blasted twofer or is it an old fashioned BAL ?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Wonderful works! I too have the Beaux Arts and also Zukerman, du Pré & Barenboim.

Comment

Working...
                              X