X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
    I suspect that as A McG has ‘lost’ a half hour of his programme to more important things they are compelled to make up his contracted time by superimposing him onto the BAL section. I think A McG is a good presenter, just not in the BAL section.

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by sidneyfox View Post
      Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
      Rem acu tetigisti.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
        Rem acu tetigisti.
        The nail in this case being that in the coffin of Radio 3.

I have, indeed, changed with the times - as the Beeb no longer provides the quality and service it had led me to expect when I was younger, these days I do not listen to R3 very often (and practically never Live). Change, indeed.

Basta! The sun is out - for the first time in over a fortnight I feel well enough to go out - I'm going to pop into Leeds to have a look at the Leonardo drawings. It's going to be a good day.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
          I suspect that as A McG has ‘lost’ a half hour of his programme to more important things they are compelled to make up his contracted time by superimposing him onto the BAL section. I think A McG is a good presenter, just not in the BAL section.
          Reluctantly, I think you may be on to something.
          How sad for music, the young / new listener, the composer in question?
          How good for someone's amour-propre and possibly bank balance.

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by sidneyfox View Post
            Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
            Are you ready to script a BAL on Haydn's Symphony no. 64 for us, Sidney?

Comment

• visualnickmos
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Record Review was how - in mid-teens - I became fascinated that a piece I thought I knew could be so differently and revealingly performed.
              To do that, IMO you need a steady, single voice with an unfolding series of statements / illustrations / comparisons. You do NOT want a semi-scripted twofer that can veer off course and lose the thread, and get threatened by competing voices.
              Draco,
              That is exactly my experience, too. Any teen tuning in today would not have given it house (bedroom) space.
              Your listing of requirements for a successful BaL; perfect, and your 'NOT' wants - again perfect.

Surely the Radio 3 programme-makers, or whatever, can see the failings of 'twofers' to deliver. Then again, they probably can't....

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Didn’t Haydn try to get Beethoven to suppress Op. 1/3 because he didn’t understand it, and he thought that Beethoven might be laughed out of Vienna, or something like that?

Comment

• Mal
                  • Dec 2016

The controller of Radio 3, Alan Davey, was confronted about these failings in 2015. I don't think he considers them failings, so I can't see things changing.

----------------------------------

The Building a Library segment of CD Review (on Saturdays) gets much praise – but some readers say the recorded, scripted editions are immeasurably better than the rambling live discussions.

AD: There’s room for both. We get a lot of positive feedback for live discussions, if not all the time. In terms of Building a Library, it’s such a mammoth task our people take on in finding the best version of a piece, and it’s always going to be serious and detailed and carefully thought through. If we get the right guests, the level of erudition will be high. And the exchange of views is interesting. The sense of liveliness that brings is welcome.
                  ---------------------------------

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    Didn’t Haydn try to get Beethoven to suppress Op. 1/3 because he didn’t understand it, and he thought that Beethoven might be laughed out of Vienna, or something like that?
                    Something of the sort was said on the programme, with a hint that he might just have been getting worried that LvB was going to prove too much of a competitor if he started publishing such works.

Doesn't sound like the Papa Haydn that we all know and love, as of course did Mozart: are there any solid facts about this??
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      Something of the sort was said on the programme, with a hint that he might just have been getting worried that LvB was going to prove too much of a competitor if he started publishing such works.

Doesn't sound like the Papa Haydn that we all know and love, as of course did Mozart: are there any solid facts about this??
                      from https://www.analekta.com/en/albums/g...-1-nos-1-et-3/:

Today the final trio of Opus 1 stupefies in comparison with the first two. After the premiere of this work, according to Ries, “Haydn advised Beethoven not to publish it. This greatly surprised Beethoven, since he considered this trio to be the best of the three, and also the one that produces the greatest effect.” Haydn’s remarks greatly vexed Beethoven. Nonetheless, as Haydn would later confide to Ries, it was not that he found this third trio less worthy, but rather overly difficult for the amateur musicians for whom this genre of work had until then been intended. He would later acknowledge his error frankly, adding that, “he would never have imagined that this trio could be so quickly, so easily understood, and so well received by the public.”

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        Draco,
                        That is exactly my experience, too. Any teen tuning in today would not have given it house (bedroom) space.
                        Your listing of requirements for a successful BaL; perfect, and your 'NOT' wants - again perfect.

Surely the Radio 3 programme-makers, or whatever, can see the failings of 'twofers' to deliver. Then again, they probably can't....
                        None of this is really about attracting teen or 20 something , or diverse audiences. It is about being seen to be trying to do that.

Actually getting a younger audience simply isn't going to happen by tweaking BaL or record review, in our media rich world.

It might just start to happen by building on events and brands that are recognisable, starting with the Proms, and perhaps creative use of celebrity, most likely those from non classical worlds crossing over into R3 programming.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          None of this is really about attracting teen or 20 something , or diverse audiences. It is about being seen to be trying to do that.

Actually getting a younger audience simply isn't going to happen by tweaking BaL or record review, in our media rich world.

It might just start to happen by building on events and brands that are recognisable, starting with the Proms, and perhaps creative use of celebrity, most likely those from non classical worlds crossing over into R3 programming.
                          The Gramophone has a feature where they have 2 reviewers look at a classic recording of several decades vintage. I particularly like the ones where the reviewers are of different generations and therefore tend to have different perspectives.
                          Perhaps this works better in print than live radio, and also it helps that the focus is one just one recording

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                            The controller of Radio 3, Alan Davey, was confronted about these failings in 2015. I don't think he considers them failings, so I can't see things changing.
                            Good find

"Our presenters all know their stuff …" An increasing number don't know their stuff.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Good find

"Our presenters all know their stuff …" An increasing number don't know their stuff.
                              Maybe his their stuff is different stuff from our their stuff.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Hasn’t anyone ever told you? The BBC is NEVER wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X