X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Looking forward to tomorrow's broadcast (even if it is a twofer).

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

I feel a controversial left field choice coming on.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        I feel a controversial left field choice coming on.
        Budapest FO, Adam Fischer.

I thought that this was a very good two-fer BaL, about the best so far. I thought also,, that McGregor allowed more time for the critic to have a say, without AM’s infernal interruptions!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

A remarkable number of SACD versions of this work, including the winner.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

No argument with the winner (no mention of Szell?), but I thought he restricted himself to a relatively narrow range of examples? Fascinating to hear Norrington missing the point quite so completely (in the example played at least).

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post

I thought that this was a very good two-fer BaL, about the best so far. I thought also,, that McGregor allowed more time for the critic to have a say, without AM’s infernal interruptions!
              Not a left field choice as it turned out and no bets taken after 9.41.

Not sure about the conductor having to bring out all the ‘meanings’ and ‘characters’, as if this were a gigantic tone poem, though I suspect few will quibble with the final choice.

Was there confusion over the speed of Zander (iii)? Andrew implied it was too slow while Nicholas said it was fine.

If they disagreed, fair enough but not sure they meant to!

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                No argument with the winner.... but I thought he restricted himself to a relatively narrow range of examples?
                Agree; though Mrs A and I burst out laughing when Kubelik (who'd apparently ticked all NB's boxes) fell at the last hurdle. I would have liked more comparisons of the same extract in different hands...and of course less duplication of 'thoughts' by Andrew. I was left with a real wish to get hold of the Mengelberg.

Presumably this is the one to get:

...but is it really that expensive??

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

A very interesting BaL, far more so than I was expecting because I wasn't prepared for so great a range of tempi and other conductorial variations, despite my 14-odd recordings.

Picking up in the reviewer's statement that the 3rd mov't's Poco adagio shouldn't be much more than 20' I dug out all my recordings with timings. Welser-Most is by far the slowest at 24'35" and also the slowest overall at 63'02". Maybe the church acoustic, St Augustine's, Kilburn, is a reason? Abravanel is much the fastest at 19'43" and 52'12" - must give it another spin to see if he makes it work. Another surprising speedster is Tennstedt at 54'55".

The only other one under 20' in III is Horenstein, though he's not fast overall at 59'25". Knowledge of authentic tradition?

The biggest shock was the clip of Kathleen Battle in the Maazel - I was waiting for her to be kicked firmly into touch as too arty by far (as I'd have done on this showing), but no. Another disc to re-spin, but not before the Kubelik which I don't know well and clearly should!
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    ... I was left with a real wish to get hold of the Mengelberg.

Presumably this is the one to get:

...but is it really that expensive??
                    ... cheaper in this membran-type 10 CD box :

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      Just ordered that Membran box - other Mktplace copies still available. For those who wish to file tidily under 'M for Mahler', this - one copy only - may be more convenient at an affordable price https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symp...=music&sr=1-17
                      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                        Maybe the church acoustic, St Augustine's, Kilburn, is a reason?
                        That's not a very big space and doesn't really have a churchy acoustic.

I have the Fischer and I've always found it a bit harsh-sounding. I mentioned Gielen earlier, but Kubelík is very special too.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                          That's not a very big space and doesn't really have a churchy acoustic.

I have the Fischer and I've always found it a bit harsh-sounding. I mentioned Gielen earlier, but Kubelík is very special too.
                          Am away and have not heard it is it correct he ignored the Szell

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            No mention of Szell, Tennstedt, Haitink, Solti, Gatti, HvK among some I might have expected.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              ... no mention of Szell.

He played : Mengelberg, Norrington, Kubelik, Ivan Fischer, Rattle, Michael Tilson Thomas, Zander, Abbado, Levine, Nanut, Maazel. He mentioned Walter.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post

With Miah Persson!

Comment

Working...
                                X