• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
    Ah, Jayne, you have provided a solution. I can log into Exact Editions, even via Safari on my iPad, and get the same results as you did. I hadn’t thought of doing that before, assuming using the Gramophone App or website should provide at least equal functionality. They don’t, so thank you, Jayne.
    for this relief much thanks...
    (see above..)

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Ah, Jayne, you have provided a solution. I can log into Exact Editions, even via Safari on my iPad, and get the same results as you did. I hadn’t thought of doing that before, assuming using the Gramophone App or website should provide at least equal functionality. They don’t, so thank you, Jayne.
      I've started adding '+' to the search engine and have found it to be much more efficient so thank you, Jayne.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Barbirollians said "Gramophone’s search function on its archive is a shockingly out of date embarrassment" .

Which I simply don't find it to be.... so I answered accordingly. A lot of this is down to the efficiency of different browsers and OSs (with a degree of ingenuity and patience re. your search terms, as per amazon, qobuz or google itself...) , but never mind, I've been as clear as I can re. my own experience..

The "online reviews database...since 1983" is a separate & distinct facility from the archive of all issues, which you can subscribe to or not, according to choice of subscription package. I tried it but found it redundant alongside the archive access.

My own experience of the original archive was... sort-of-OK, but spoiled by inefficient searching and the appalling frequency of typos. TOTALLY different from the Complete Archive via subscription now. I love it and can get lost in it for hours searching for something else...
        It is an embarrassment because it is so vague . You search for say Mahler Walter - and yes by carefully scrolling down you may be lucky enough to find a review amongst the endless adverts and other rubbish . As a search function it is appallingly poor .

That is the app - the website is not much better requiring absolute accuracy - if you leave the umlaut out of Furtwangler - most of the recordings will be missing - Also often if there is a review of two discs together only the first of them will come up on a search and it is a matter of luck that you find the other reviewed with it .

Content marvellous and endlessly fascinating - search functions are a shockingly out of date embarrassment.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          A quick search on Discogs for the 50s finds only four Decca Mahler issues. The only symphony is no 4 from Eduard Van Beinum, Concertgebouw with Margaret Ritchie.
          Yes I should have mentioned Margaret Richie, to avoid risking Jayne’s chides! I was really talking about the symphonies and discogs obviously missed the Kubelik from 1954. There was the live 1951 Klemperer No2 which appeared on Decca very much later.
          Last edited by cloughie; 04-04-19, 18:03.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            It is an embarrassment because it is so vague . You search for say Mahler Walter - and yes by carefully scrolling down you may be lucky enough to find a review amongst the endless adverts and other rubbish . As a search function it is appallingly poor .

That is the app - the website is not much better requiring absolute accuracy - if you leave the umlaut out of Furtwangler - most of the recordings will be missing - Also often if there is a review of two discs together only the first of them will come up on a search and it is a matter of luck that you find the other reviewed with it .

Content marvellous and endlessly fascinating - search functions are a shockingly out of date embarrassment.
            Just did an archive search on "Furtwangler" [SIC - no umlaut]....instant recovery of dozens of reviews, ads, letters and articles dating back all the decades of Gramophone's existence, all relevant & with the highlighted name....

"Mahler Walter" includes content other than reviews? Well, I'm deeply shocked . Sorry but you misunderstand the essential stupidity of computers. They give you what you ask for. Truly smart AI is close, but not quite with us routinely yet, at least in the domestic context...(Alexa, Siri etc notwithstanding...)

Or: Suppose you had a (human!) personal assistant, and you ask them to bring you every Gramophone which features "Mahler Walter" in it, what d'you think would happen?

I've tried to help - but I give up. No more cruelty to metaphorical horses. Sorry about the Mahler 4 BaL hijack....
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 04-04-19, 19:57.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              I've tried to help...
              Well, you certainly helped me, Jayne!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I am baffled that anyone can think that the Gramophone search function is anything other than sub -optimal .

Comment

• Goon525
                  • Feb 2014

I suspect that even Jayne thinks it’s sub-optimal - but she’s found ways of dealing with that, and has now helped several others amongst us to get more out of it.

Now has anyone mentioned Lucia Popp and Tennstedt, must wade back through this to find out.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

I suspect that even Jayne thinks it’s sub-optimal - but she’s found ways of dealing with that, and has now helped several others amongst us to get more out of it.

Now has anyone mentioned Lucia Popp and Tennstedt, must wade back through this to find out.
                    Now, I’ve read most of the posts here and I don’t think that recording has been mentioned? Looks tempting!

NB I have just seen this on Spotify. Will listen sometime today!
                    Last edited by BBMmk2; 05-04-19, 09:11.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Barbs wondered this in post 66 too.
                      LMP in post 19 and Alison in post 30 both mention having this version in their collections.

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Barbs wondered this in post 66 too.
                        LMP in post 19 and Alison in post 30 both mention having this version in their collections.
                        The Tennstedt/LPO has to be on any shortlist!
                        Last edited by Alison; 05-04-19, 22:32.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

I got aTennstedt/LPO twofer of 3 and 4 on EMI many years ago when looking to build my CD collection post-LP. Recommended.

Comment

• sidneyfox
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            I am baffled that anyone can think that the Gramophone search function is anything other than sub -optimal .
                            I’m no expert and came very late to technology but I think the Gramophone search facility is as close to useless as anything can be. I can’t believe I put up with it.

Comment

• mikealdren
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              He is presumably merely referring to the facts as stated on Gramophone's own website: "Access to the world’s most authoritative classical reviews online database, with more than 45,000 reviews since 1983."
                              1983, that explains why I can't find so much, I should have read their website more carefully and then I definitely shouldn't have bothered with the search facility.

Having said that, I would still like the old Gramophone catalogue as a means of finding reviews now early editions are so easily found on line and I would very much like an index to The Gramophone Collection.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Much to my shame, I've just realised that both versions from the (R) SNO are missing.

Sir Alexander Gibson with Margaret Marshall on Chandos and Neemi Jarvi with Linda Finnie , also on Chandos.

Comment

Working...
                                X