• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 23.03.19 - The music of György Kurtág

Building a Library: Gillian Moore introduces and surveys the music of György Kurtág and recommends the essential recordings. Still active in his tenth decade, Hungarian-born Kurtág is one of the most highly regarded composers of our times, as well as a remarkable pianist, whose often fragmentary and brief works paradoxically pack and an intensely emotional punch.

No list this week, but Presto has a good selection to browse:

Recordings featured:-

Játékok (excerpts)
    Márta Kurtág (piano)
    György Kurtág (piano)
    ECM 4535112

Complete Works for Ensemble and Choir
    Natalia Zagorinskaya (soprano)
    Gerrie de Vries (mezzo-soprano)
    Yves Saelens (tenor)
    Harry van der Kamp (bass)
    Jean-Guihen Queyras (cello)
    Elliott Simpson (guitar)
    Tamara Stefanovich (piano)
    Netherlands Radio Choir (chorus)
    Schoenberg chamber orchestra
    Reinbert de Leeuw (conductor)
    Others
    ECM 4812883

Signs, Games and Messages for strings & Hommage to R. Schumann
    Hélène Desaint (viola)
    Louis Lortie (piano)
    Ronald Van Spaendonck (clarinet)
    Louis Lortie (piano)
    Nathanaël Gouin
    Fuga Libera FUG611

Kafka Fragments
    Caroline Melzer (soprano)
    Nurit Stark (violin)
    BIS BIS2175

Grabstein für Stephan
    Jurgen Ruck (guitar)
    Berliner Philharmoniker
    Claudio Abbado (conductor)

Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 24-03-19, 21:43.
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

This might be interesting. I've never really connected with Kurtág's music, despite years of efforts to convince me on the part of our late friend Simon Howard, and I dutifully listened through an entire broadcast of his recent (& first) opera Fin de partie, concluding that, as I strongly suspected, making an opera out of a Beckett play is probably not a good idea for anyone, and certainly not for Kurtág. Having said that I do think his Kafke-Fragmente is a masterpiece.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      This might be interesting. I've never really connected with Kurtág's music, despite years of efforts to convince me on the part of our late friend Simon Howard, and I dutifully listened through an entire broadcast of his recent (& first) opera Fin de partie, concluding that, as I strongly suspected, making an opera out of a Beckett play is probably not a good idea for anyone, and certainly not for Kurtág. Having said that I do think his Kafke-Fragmente is a masterpiece.
      I wonder if forum member Conchis knows it?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        I wonder if forum member Conchis knows it?
        That is what is known chez moi as, "méchanterie" - tsk! Anyway, in the hope that you don't rouse Norman Lebrecht, aka "Conchis", to further provocations - and, also, that we haven't all o'ded on his take on Brahms PC2, here is TS:

In Kurtág's tiny fragments lies music of unflinching emotional and existential rawness, writes Tom Service

'Stele' is up there in my pantheon of great pieces of orchestral music composed in the 20th century (along with 'Coptic Light', 'Lontano', 'Grüppen', 'Quadrivium' - and pretty much anything by Xenakis - etc, etc). So I hope that the occasionally irritating Gillian Moore (her BaL on the Berg VC sticks in my mind, albeit with no complaint about her recommendation) does his music justice.

Comment

• silvestrione
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          That is what is known chez moi as, "méchanterie" - tsk! Anyway, in the hope that you don't rouse Norman Lebrecht, aka "Conchis", to further provocations - and, also, that we haven't all o'ded on his take on Brahms PC2, here is TS:

In Kurtág's tiny fragments lies music of unflinching emotional and existential rawness, writes Tom Service

'Stele' is up there in my pantheon of great pieces of orchestral music composed in the 20th century (along with 'Coptic Light', 'Lontano', 'Grüppen', 'Quadrivium' - and pretty much anything by Xenakis - etc, etc). So I hope that the occasionally irritating Gillian Moore (her BaL on the Berg VC sticks in my mind, albeit with no complaint about her recommendation) does his music justice.
          Excuse my ignorance, Dougie, (and this is off thread too!), but I was intrigued by your list, but had not heard of, and don't seem to be able to trace so far, 'Coptic Light', and 'Quadrivium'. I have had for many years the Abbado/BPO disc of 'Gruppen' and 'Stele'.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Coptic Light is a work by Morton Feldman. There is a particularly fine recording of it, conducted by Michael Gielen (with Bruckner's 8th as its make-weight).

Here's an alternative recording:

I think Quadrivium may have been mentioned here by jlw a few months ago in connection with this disc:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
              Excuse my ignorance, Dougie, (and this is off thread too!), but I was intrigued by your list, but had not heard of, and don't seem to be able to trace so far, 'Coptic Light', and 'Quadrivium'. I have had for many years the Abbado/BPO disc of 'Gruppen' and 'Stele'.
              "Quadrivium" is an orchestral piece by Bruno Maderna - one of his finest works, imv.

Comment

• silvestrione
                • Jan 2011

Thanks for replies, I am now exploring these works.

Comment

• sidneyfox
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Coptic Light is a work by Morton Feldman. There is a particularly fine recording of it, conducted by Michael Gielen (with Bruckner's 8th as its make-weight).

Here's an alternative recording:

I think Quadrivium may have been mentioned here by jlw a few months ago in connection with this disc:

I'm intrigued as to how Bruckner's magnificent symphony could be described as a make-weight for the Feldman piece.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by sidneyfox View Post
                    I'm intrigued as to how Bruckner's magnificent symphony could be described as a make-weight for the Feldman piece.
                    I believe Bryn's tongue was in his cheek there. Although Gielen isn't my favourite Bruckner conductor and if I'd obtained that recording it would principally have been for the Feldman. I presume that the latter will be resurfacing in the (by me) much-anticipated modern music box in the ongoing Gielen edition.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      "Quadrivium" is an orchestral piece by Bruno Maderna - one of his finest works, imv.
                      Wonderful, visionary creation ....of the three extant recordings, this seems to me to be the most cogent, virtuosic and compelling....
                      Listen to unlimited or download Maderna: Complete Works for Orchestra, Vol. 4 by Konrad Graf in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Certainly the best-recorded. And the whole 5-volume NEOS edition is the Maderna grand reference...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Oh no: another chat show session with Andrew hosting.
                        Why didn't he just do the BaL himself, as clearly his own thoughts and opinions matter so much?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Oh no: another chat show session with Andrew hosting.
                          Why didn't he just do the BaL himself, as clearly his own thoughts and opinions matter so much?
                          Yes but it works a bit better with these composer surveys. I do like Gillian Moore, too - great voice for radio.

I've explored Játékok over the years (I even have the piano score) and have the ECM recording by Mr & Mrs Kurtág

Absolutely love that Bach "Gottes Zeit" BWV106 arrangement that was played on the programme this morning.
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Yes but it works a bit better with these composer surveys. I do like Gillian Moore, too - great voice for radio.

I've explored Játékok over the years (I even have the piano score) and have the ECM recording by Mr & Mrs Kurtág

Absolutely love that Bach "Gottes Zeit" BWV106 arrangement that was played on the programme this morning.
                            I'll grant you that.
                            But I'd still prefer Andrew merely to steer the discussion than to opine quite so much!
                            The 'set-up' always seems/sounds too contrived, I fear.

Comment

• zola
                              • May 2011

But I'd still prefer Andrew merely to steer the discussion than to opine quite so much!
                              The 'set-up' always seems/sounds too contrived, I fear.
                              Presumably it is another 'twofer' next week, in the 'pop up studio' at the Sage. I thought I detected an edge to the later conversation with M F-W ( pronunciation, Melodiya sound quality, ghetto-isation of Russian music ) I hope that doesn't mean she won't be asked back in future.

Comment

Working...
                              X