X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Lucky the ones at the rfh.... if only etc...

I have that MDG CD of Rittner/l'arte del mondo/Ehrhardt in No.1 now, so will try to listen and report back...
    Hoping to revisit Buchbinder in the B flat too, but it all takes time with these heavenly Brahmsian lengths...

(time for two and a half Beethoven 8ths...)

Comment

• Goon525
      • Feb 2014

There’s a good new measure of time. 'This performance of Mahler 3 came in at about five Beethoven 8ths. Yet Fischer (well one of them) managed it only four and a bit.'

Comment

• lsl131
        • Oct 2015

I found this just now on YouTube:
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Schiff and the OAE playing Brahms 1 on Saturday in Zagreb, with a generous encore. The slight distant perspective and a few close loud coughs and other noises suggest that this was not a broadcast, but it seems reasonably clear. Perhaps, a small compensation for those of us unable to get to the RFH.

Reading JLW's earlier recommendation, I ordered the Manz performance Arte Nova of Brahms 2, which arrived today. So some interesting listening in store

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by lsl131 View Post
          I found this just now on YouTube:
          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Schiff and the OAE playing Brahms 1 on Saturday in Zagreb, with a generous encore. The slight distant perspective and a few close loud coughs and other noises suggest that this was not a broadcast, but it seems reasonably clear. Perhaps, a small compensation for those of us unable to get to the RFH.

Reading JLW's earlier recommendation, I ordered the Manz performance Arte Nova of Brahms 2, which arrived today. So some interesting listening in store
          Thanks, its always good to know what the encore is beforehand.
          ( a nicely considered post, well worth the 3 1/2 years wait..... ..)

Looking forward to tomorrow night at the Anvil.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            Thanks, its always good to know what the encore is beforehand.
            ( a nicely considered post, well worth the 3 1/2 years wait..... ..)

Looking forward to tomorrow night at the Anvil.
            Two encores from Schiff tonight. My lips are sealed. I had to rush off last night so missed any encores proffered.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

I find it hard often to dissociate the circumstances of wartime Berlin recordings from the music and RO was right in Gramophone when he described some of the playing as slapdash but I bought the 1942 Fischer/Furtwangler in the recent Testament sale on Presto and have listened to it rapt tonight .

Like the 1951 studio Emperor this is such a true partnership and Fischer plays so beautifully away from the wrong notes .

The real star seems to be Furtwangler - what an awesome Brahms conductor he was .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

Bought relatively cheaply online Japanese CD of Serkin with Ormandy in their early 1960s stereo recordings.

Unlike the 1957 (possibly mono) account of No 2 neither of these seemed to get all that good a press from JN in Gramophone at the time but whether the remastering has much improved the sound I do not know but I have really enjoyed both of them and much of the criticism of Serkin as being too spiky I do not get at all.

Coupled with a pretty dazzling Schumann PC too which no doubt would have been far too exciting for Lucy Parham.

Comment

Working...
                X