Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

The left hand of the 1st movt. section that Schnabel played so magnificently (albeit with a few tactfully omitted notes ) and Barenboim so lumpily is much more difficult than the right hand D major thirds that Zimmerman played so beautifully . I should know - I can't play either.

Comment

• Mal
      • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
      .....and the winner is on....DG. They own this concerto!
      Not with Szell et. al. on Sony!

Comment

• Tony Halstead
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mal View Post
        Not with Szell et. al. on Sony!
        Do you mean Serkin/ Szell
        or Fleisher /Szell ?

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
          Just spotted these concerts at RFH in London next week. OAE with Andras Schiff. Piano undisclosed!

http://www.oae.co.uk/
          The programme booklet can be viewed here.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I missed the beginning (recovering from the Park Run). But when I switched the radio on, the excerpt made me sit up in wonder. It turned out to be the Zimerman, and I ended up agreeing with Tom Service for the first time ever. I shall be ordering this.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              What you might call Self Service.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                I missed the beginning (recovering from the Park Run). But when I switched the radio on, the excerpt made me sit up in wonder. It turned out to be the Zimerman, and I ended up agreeing with Tom Service for the first time ever. I shall be ordering this.
                Me too

Comment

• Maclintick
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  The programme booklet can be viewed here.
                  ...& here -- I think I spotted on another thread that Sir Andras will be playing a Blüthner,
                  but perhaps he's doing a violin transcription ... & shape-shifting in the process.

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Got my vote too ..... and dare I say that overall I thought it was an excellent BAL ...... ????

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                      Got my vote too ..... and dare I say that overall I thought it was an excellent BAL ...... ????
                      + 1

Comment

• edashtav
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        So far he seems to be favouring the penny plain Buchbinder , the rather indulgent Zimerman ( a recording which I love but it is not a BAL choice for me ) Pollini/Abbado and this Berezovsky account.
                        I found your comment helpful, Barbirollians. My finger was poised to order the Zimerman but I needed reassurance because I find Bernstein'sc hyper emotionalism irritating. I need a CD for I've heard this concerto live more frequently than any other, I posses a miniature score, I love the piece but I own neither an LP nor a CD. "Rather indulgent" brought me up short , so I've selected you 'penny plain' alternative
                        Last edited by edashtav; 16-03-19, 13:11. Reason: Capital missing

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                          I found your comment helpful, Barbirollians. My finger was poised to order the Zimerman but I needed reassurance because I find bernstein's hyper emotionalism irritating. I need a CD for I've heard this concerto live more frequently than any other, I posses a miniature score, I love the piece but I own neither an LP nor a CD. "Rather indulgent" brought me up short , so I've selected you 'penny plain' alternative
                          Thanks for above thoughts. Zimermann is clearly a fine version and I shall audition it on Spotify. I don't know Buchbinder's playing at all and will also give that a listen. I already have several good recordings on CD (including his runner-up, the excellent Rubinstein/Krips) and I suspect I won't end up buying another.

Comment

• Mal
                            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                            Do you mean Serkin/ Szell
                            or Fleisher /Szell ?
                            I gave bracing Serkin/Szell another run through, after Service's bracing BAL, and now I like it again . I think I'll keep it as my library copy (maybe Gilel's/Jochum, although beautiful, is a bit on the tame side ) Fleisher's also good though,... flip a coin, or maybe three dice...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                              I gave bracing Serkin/Szell another run through, after Service's bracing BAL, and now I like it again . I think I'll keep it as my library copy (maybe Gilel's/Jochum, although beautiful, is a bit on the tame side ) Fleisher's also good though,... flip a coin, or maybe three dice...
                              Yes, tame is probably a better choice of word than my 'safe' in post #71.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
                                this is another performance not the DG recording?
                                If you are referring to the YouTube item I linked to, check the poster's nod to DG as the source. The performance was given in 1983 with the forces cited for the 1984 issued CD. There may have been some parching from rehearsals, etc. but I think you will find it is essentially the same performance.

Comment

Working...
                                X