• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Rooting around in the owl hours I was stunned to discover this -

...I didn't need telling twice! Ordered it straight away.
    Later I found a very positive review in Gramophone for 1/2012 (the ever-authoritative SP).... the instrument used is an Erard.

It is on Qobuz, but as usual with MDG unavailable to stream, and no booklet. This doesn't seem available even on the MDG website, so CD it is...
    If anyone finds other unfamiliar period instrument or chamber orchestral versions of Brahms Orchestrals please do highlight them here.
    Maybe Venzago will get around to the concertos following the Tapiola Sinfonietta Symphonies/Serenades...

Incidentally, there's another B Flat Concerto in the intriguing New SWR box of 1950-62 Brahms recordings, with Geza Anda/SWRB-BSO and Hans Rosbaud... (split 2/2 across two CDs....duh..!.)

Thankfully, you can stream this one...
    Listen to unlimited or download Brahms: Symphonies, Piano Concertos & Serenades by Sudwestfunkorchester Baden-Baden in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 13-03-19, 06:12.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Later I found a very positive review in Gramophone for 1/2012 (the ever-authoritative SP).... the instrument used is an Erard.

It is on Qobuz, but as usual with MDG unavailable to stream, and no booklet. This doesn't seem available even on the MDG website, so CD it is...
      If anyone finds other unfamiliar period instrument or chamber orchestral versions of Brahms Orchestrals please do highlight them here.
      Maybe Venzago will get around to the concertos following the Tapiola Sinfonietta Symphonies/Serenades...

Incidentally, there's another B Flat Concerto in the intriguing New SWR box of 1950-62 Brahms recordings, with Geza Anda/SWRB-BSO and Hans Rosbaud... (split 2/2 across two CDs....duh..!.)

Thankfully, you can stream this one...
      https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/br.../qlq61su6c2cgc
      Yes, this period instrument performance of the First Concerto has been around for a while, 2013 I think and it's surprising that it's never got much attention. It's fascinating to be sure. Pity the same forces never recorded the Second, and I'm surprised that some of our own home-grown HIP groups have never got round to doing them.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

Well spotted Jayne. Likewise ordered. Wonder why they used an Erard already 28 years old in 1882? Now we need No 2 as proposed. Come on OAE.

I already have plenty of big-band recordings acquired over several decades - Fischer, Arrau, Serkin, Gilels and your beloved Horowitz …

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I love this work. A Facebook friend pointed Mei. The direction of Artur Rubenstein’s recording, CSO/Reiner. Fabulous recording. I still have a fondness for the classic Gilels.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

[/URL]
            Thanks for pointing out. Immediately interested. Saw that Amazon gives 1-3 months dispatch time for CD and impatiently jumped to YouTube whence I've mp3d to laptop.

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

Just spotted these concerts at RFH in London next week. OAE with Andras Schiff. Piano undisclosed!

The OAE is probably one of the top ‘period instrument’ Orchestras in the world. A Resident Orchestra at London's Southbank Centre, an artistic associate at Kings Place, and regularly tours the UK and internationally

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                • Nov 2010

The piano will be a Blüthner.
                This is not just a guess; yesterday I called in very briefly at an OAE rehearsal and saw the piano.
                Last edited by Tony Halstead; 13-03-19, 11:23.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                  The piano will be a Blüthner.
                  This is not just a guess; yesterday I called in very briefly at an OAE rehearsal and saw the piano.
                  Any hint of future broadcasts, or commercial recordings, Tony? Blüthner having started business in 1853, I wonder when the instrument(s) used for these concertos was/were built?

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Any hint of future broadcasts, or commercial recordings, Tony? Blüthner having started business in 1853, I wonder when the instrument(s) used for these concertos was/were built?
                    Unfortunately the piano was closed and I simply didn't have time to open the lid, get the serial number etc.; however, judging by the style of the casework, I'd make a very approximate guess that it was made in the 1870s-1880s.
                    Last edited by Tony Halstead; 13-03-19, 15:03.

Comment

• silvestrione
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      Correct.
                      Stephen Johnson 2001
                      First Choice:
                      Solomon (piano), Philharmonia Orchestra, Issay Dobrowen (conductor)
                      (1947, mono)
                      Stereo Choice:
                      Stephen Kovacevich (piano), London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (conductor)
                      (1979)
                      Does anyone else remember the time before that (or before that) when Joseph Cooper (I think it was) teased us by comparing and finding wanting lots of named performers with a 'mystery' version which he said was just too obviously far ahead of the field? At the end of course he revealed that it was...

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                        Does anyone else remember the time before that (or before that) when Joseph Cooper (I think it was) teased us by comparing and finding wanting lots of named performers with a 'mystery' version which he said was just too obviously far ahead of the field? At the end of course he revealed that it was...
                        ... Joyce Hatto?

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... Joyce Hatto?

Comment

• silvestrione
                            • Jan 2011

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... ah yes!

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

Not an orchestral disc, but Melnikov playing on an 1875 Bosendorfer is worth hearing.

Comment

Working...
                                X