X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    ... but there's nothing wrong, and everything right, about keeping up with newer recordings, especially from younger artists...
    Absolutely right.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

What a great story.

Comment

• Goon525
        • Feb 2014

I’m delighted that my rather ungenerous reference to IM promoted such a wonderful anecdote from such a distinguished source.

Jayne's description of the various roles on the Penguin is probably about right. My reservations about IM's reviewing are about depth, not his entrepreneurial skills. I used to rely on it a lot too, but looking back the greatest weakness was having only three reviewers (two of them rather superficial), compared to the large and knowledgeable panel at Gramophone. Perhaps with half a dozen reviewers Penguin might have had even greater authority. Having said that, I do miss both Penguin and the Gramophone Good CD Guide, and wish there was a modern equivalent for those moments when you find you want to listen to, say Nielsen 6, and don’t want to back to the Blomstedt that’s had pride of place in your CD collection for decades, because now you can choose from plenty on Qobuz. But which one to choose?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

What a great story.
          Fantastic!! Nice one, Tony!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

I loved that story from Tony.
            Reading back through Alpie's herculean list again, I realize that my first recording of the piece wasn't included. My sister had a Vox lp from the mid sixties, and I think the Pianist was Gyorgy Sandor, and the Conductor was Jascha Horenstein. Those names meant nothing to me then, but when we were cleaning out my mother's condo a few years ago in preparation for her moving to a senior building I came across the lp. I meant to save it though I doubt it would have been playable, but it got inadvertently tossed.
            There is no such recording listed on Presto and I am not sure about the players, and certainly there are enough versions of this piece to add a lifetime, but if those forces did record it I think most of we veteran collectors would agree that it's worth hearing, and I would would love to make the acquaintance of it again. Does anyone remember this? (The archives of Forumites never cease to amaze me).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

There was a(nother?) VOX Brahms Piano Concerto #2 with Gyorgi Sandor, rfg, but the conductor was Rolf Reinhardt:

... if that's the one you had, it is avaialble on CD:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                I loved that story from Tony.
                Reading back through Alpie's herculean list again, I realize that my first recording of the piece wasn't included. My sister had a Vox lp from the mid sixties, and I think the Pianist was Gyorgy Sandor, and the Conductor was Jascha Horenstein. Those names meant nothing to me then, but when we were cleaning out my mother's condo a few years ago in preparation for her moving to a senior building I came across the lp. I meant to save it though I doubt it would have been playable, but it got inadvertently tossed.
                There is no such recording listed on Presto and I am not sure about the players, and certainly there are enough versions of this piece to add a lifetime, but if those forces did record it I think most of we veteran collectors would agree that it's worth hearing, and I would would love to make the acquaintance of it again. Does anyone remember this? (The archives of Forumites never cease to amaze me).
                No, not Jascha Horenstein but Rolf Reinhardt with the Südwestfunk Orchestra on Vox - a common Horenstein orchestral partner so easily assumed (not least as JH recorded at least two symphonies with them: the 1st and the 3rd). Oops, apologies FHG - cross-posted.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  No, not Jascha Horenstein but Rolf Reinhardt with the Südwestfunk Orchestra on Vox - a common Horenstein orchestral partner so easily assumed (not least as JH recorded at least two symphonies with them: the 1st and the 3rd). Oops, apologies FHG - cross-posted.
                  No apology necessary, HighDoug - useful to have confirmation of the conductor.

A warning: I notice that the link I gave takes us to an item marked "Vinyl" in the price box, even thought the photo clearly is a CD issue - worth checking if anyone was thinking of buying.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
                    I’m delighted that my rather ungenerous reference to IM promoted such a wonderful anecdote from such a distinguished source.

Jayne's description of the various roles on the Penguin is probably about right. My reservations about IM's reviewing are about depth, not his entrepreneurial skills. I used to rely on it a lot too, but looking back the greatest weakness was having only three reviewers (two of them rather superficial), compared to the large and knowledgeable panel at Gramophone. Perhaps with half a dozen reviewers Penguin might have had even greater authority. Having said that, I do miss both Penguin and the Gramophone Good CD Guide, and wish there was a modern equivalent for those moments when you find you want to listen to, say Nielsen 6, and don’t want to back to the Blomstedt that’s had pride of place in your CD collection for decades, because now you can choose from plenty on Qobuz. But which one to choose?
                    Why do I keep wanting to say "don't get me started on..."...?
                    Seek out the Nielsen thread on the Composers' Subforum for more (much more..).

Just the 6th? Start with Oramo (BIS) or Storgårds (Chandos) - both set new standards in very contrasted ways...
                    (Sorry OT-uncommercial-break now over...)
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-03-19, 21:24.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

that Vox looks like the cover of my old lp. I must have assumed Horenstein due to the Orchestra. If hit had been Horenstein, it probably would have a higher profile currently

Comment

• Goon525
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        Why do I keep wanting to say "don't get me started on..."...?
                        Seek out the Nielsen thread on the Composers' Subforum for more (much more..).

Just the 6th? Start with Oramo (BIS) or Storgårds (Chandos) - both set new standards in very contrasted ways...
                        (Sorry OT-uncommercial-break now over...)
                        Thanks, Jayne, I think I’d trust your recommendation above, say, Ivan March's! And now I know where to turn to if I decide on a wider Nielsen-fest.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

After tonight's 1st Concerto at the RFH, I am really looking forward too tomorrow's 2nd.

Comment

• verismissimo
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            After tonight's 1st Concerto at the RFH, I am really looking forward too tomorrow's 2nd.
                            It was a very special occasion. Schiff said to us that he hoped it would be like hearing the D minor concerto for the first time - and it was just that. The piano was an 1860 Bluthner.

I gather that Schiff no longer does radio - so you have to be there!

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                              It was a very special occasion. Schiff said to us that he hoped it would be like hearing the D minor concerto for the first time - and it was just that. The piano was an 1860 Bluthner.

I'm not ashamed to say that tears welled up in my eyes as Schiff opened the second movement of the D minor concerto. His introductory remarks somewhat put the pre-concert talk in the shadow, informative as the latter was. I would add that another factor which may have diminished my appreciation of the Schumann performances was that a couple two immediately in front of me, up in the cheap seats of the balcony, were behaving as if they were in the back row of the cinema throughout the first half of the concert. Fortunately they left at the interval, presumably to 'get a room'.

As to Sir Andras Schiff not doing radio, it would not be the first time he changed his mind about a major aspect of his work if he returned to it. After all, did he not say, a few years ago, that he would not play historic instruments in the future?

Comment

• Mal
                                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                                Not if you pay for him on TV:

Not sure how HIPP this is, but someone says "Of course on an old Bechstein ... Staying authentic as always". Exciting clip!

Comment

Working...
                                X