X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

I'm very glad the Leppard version got such a favourable mention...and I couldn't help thinking it would have been Parker's first choice had it not been for HIPP considerations. It is extraordinary what (notwithstanding modern instruments) incredible sensitivity and meticulous tidiness Leppard got from the band. Definitely proto-HIPP. I'm very glad also that edashtay mentioned Anthony Lewis who was a pioneer in the staging of Baroque operas....at a time when they were thought to be un-stageable. Leppard, however, had the musical edge over Lewis in terms of direction.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Well, I must admit I'm staying with Minkowski...and unlike everyone else, I absolutely love that 12 minute version of the aria with Anne Sophie Van Otter!

Comment

• edashtav
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        I'm very glad also that edashtay mentioned Anthony Lewis who was a pioneer in the staging of Baroque operas....at a time when they were thought to be un-stageable. Leppard, however, had the musical edge over Lewis in terms of direction.
        Yes, you're so right, ardcarp, about the relative meeits of Leppard and Lewis: true professional meets the versatile scholar.

Comment

• edashtav
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          Well, I must admit I'm staying with Minkowski...and unlike everyone else, I absolutely love that 12 minute version of the aria with Anne Sophie Van Otter!

Well, she is gorgeous, and you must be a patient lover, MickyD.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

He he, yes, when it's Miss Van Otter, I will forgive everything. But I do genuinely like that slow speed in that aria. Chacun à son goût!

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

I very much enjoyed this BaL. It felt to me this was a BaL in safe and very capable hands. No adverbs, adjectives, similes or metaphors for their own sake. All the points were easy to follow, and Alan Curtis!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                I'm with you 100% - plus it's a great set generally. The di Donato/Gauvin duo didn't tempt me at all.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                X