X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Then we heard the downside in the news that followed the programme, 1 in 10 'classical' streamings were of Einaudi.
    Oh dear, I confess I have no idea who this is. Is that good or bad?

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      Oh dear, I confess I have no idea who this is. Is that good or bad?
      Doesn’t really matter, it is money going into the industry that will help fund new projects.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        What artists though. Frang and Sondergard!
        I think that Frang is one of the top few violinists playing nowadays. I bought this recording (with its outstanding coupling) and since then she has become one of those artists whose records I just buy without bothering with any reviews . I have seen her play both the Elgar and Britten concertos outstandingly in concert.

A worthy winner.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          ........ I just buy without bothering with any reviews.
          You must try to make that the rule, rather than the exception - reviews are a very secondary and marginal consideration ..............

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

KM does seem to be almost unavoidable on R3 these days, ( must be on wages) , and I’m not the biggest fan of her presentation style, but I though this was a very good BaL, well researched, opinionated in a good way, and drawing us in with enthusiasm and knowledge. And I enjoyed the historical perspectives.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Doesn’t really matter, it is money going into the industry that will help fund new projects.
              And we mustn't get confuded with Giulio Einaudi, the Turin publisher (of the works of, among others, Primo Levi and Italo Calvino).
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                KM does seem to be almost unavoidable on R3 these days, ( must be on wages) , and I’m not the biggest fan of her presentation style, but I though this was a very good BaL, well researched, opinionated in a good way, and drawing us in with enthusiasm and knowledge. And I enjoyed the historical perspectives.
                I agree ts ..... IMVVHO she did very, very well and I really enjoyed it .......

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Ms Molleson introduces tonight's Hear & Now in an hour-and-a-half; topping and tailing today's R3 listening for me.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    And we mustn't get confuded with Giulio Einaudi, the Turin publisher (of the works of, among others, Primo Levi and Italo Calvino).

I hate getting confuded.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

I hate getting confuded.
                      Confound you!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Con ("with") + fude (from Latin "a quarrelsome family").

Comment

• Maclintick
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          You must try to make that the rule, rather than the exception - reviews are a very secondary and marginal consideration ..............
                          Absolutely agree. But, Beefo, pace Kate Molleson's well-argued advocacy of Frang & Zimmermann, who are excellent in very different ways, your admiration for KWC hits a chord here, despite KM's unexplained strictures of narcissism (?) . In the early 70s, partnered by AP & the LSO, & presented in classic Decca/Kingsway Hall sound, KWC, a pupil of Szigeti -- one of SP's early adopters, after all -- had a hotline to whatever makes this bridge between romanticism & modernity the miracle it is. Like Pastoralguy & Ed I wore out my old LP of Stern/Philadelphia/Ormandy, & wouldn't part with Oistrakh/LSO/Matacic, but KWC rivals the Big Man from Odessa (& Stern) while AP & the 70's LSO have everything in the locker, so to speak, which neither Søndergård's WDR nor Maazel's BPO do -- listen to the FPZ/Maazel finale, where the bassoonist, who after all has the big tune at the start of the movement, gets carried away later on...either that or the engineer has fallen asleep & inadvertently turned up the bassoon microphone to 11...

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Then we heard the downside in the news that followed the programme, 1 in 10 'classical' streamings were of Einaudi.
                            ...and probaly nearly as many were Russell Watson!

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
                              Absolutely agree. But, Beefo, pace Kate Molleson's well-argued advocacy of Frang & Zimmermann, who are excellent in very different ways, your admiration for KWC hits a chord here, despite KM's unexplained strictures of narcissism (?) . In the early 70s, partnered by AP & the LSO, & presented in classic Decca/Kingsway Hall sound, KWC, a pupil of Szigeti -- one of SP's early adopters, after all -- had a hotline to whatever makes this bridge between romanticism & modernity the miracle it is. Like Pastoralguy & Ed I wore out my old LP of Stern/Philadelphia/Ormandy, & wouldn't part with Oistrakh/LSO/Matacic, but KWC rivals the Big Man from Odessa (& Stern) while AP & the 70's LSO have everything in the locker, so to speak, which neither Søndergård's WDR nor Maazel's BPO do -- listen to the FPZ/Maazel finale, where the bassoonist, who after all has the big tune at the start of the movement, gets carried away later on...either that or the engineer has fallen asleep & inadvertently turned up the bassoon microphone to 11...
                              Whatever happened to KWC’s recording career - it seemed to disappear in the early 90s!

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                Whatever happened to KWC’s recording career - it seemed to disappear in the early 90s!
                                The virtuoso Kyung Wha Chung, who lost the use of her finger in 2005, will play her first London concert in a decade at the Royal Festival Hall in December

I'm not sure when it was recorded but her Brahms Violin Concerto with Rattle was issued in 2001 on EMI. There was also a couple of other releases prior to her injury, I think.
                                Last edited by Bryn; 12-01-19, 23:32. Reason: Update.

Comment

Working...
                                X