X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

'Winner' identified in list, but I've ordered a cheap s/h copy of the Zimmermann.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      'Winner' identified in list, but I've ordered a cheap s/h copy of the Zimmermann.
      Shall I,shan’t I?
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Ah - I'm more of DracoM's opinion - that the "imaginative and telling choice of descriptive words and phrases" is (to paraphrase her own description of the Chung recording) more concerned with Molleson than with Prokofiev.

Heigh-ho; chacun a son wotsit, and all that ...
        She did slightly blot her copybook for me towards the very end with an over-indulgent extended chocolate-based metaphor for, er, over-indulgence. But that apart, I thought that she had, and conveyed, a deep knowledge of composer and work, and a perceptive ear. But chacun, as you say!

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Seconded. I have a feeling that, whatever it turns out to be, I will go with her recommendation. There again, I already have the Zimmerman, so it's just the Frang to get.
          Maybe. I didn't listen to all of this BAL, but caught the last 15 minutes or so. Zimmerman sounded good, and I expected Frang to as well, but it seemed to me that the balance was wrong. The violinist is very far back, yet there was clearly (IMO) some tinkering with the balance, as "suddenly" some woodwind instruments leapt to the fore. This is just a first impression - it probably is very good, as I believe other recordings by this violinist are - but on this occasion I did wonder if some of the other runners up and also rans might actually be better - for me at any rate.

Just checked - it's coupled with the Sibelius. That is superb IIRC. So go for Frang anyway - as well as others, perhaps!

Comment

• zola
            • May 2011

Can we do that one again with Marina Frolova-Walker ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              Shall I,shan’t I?
              Of course you shall, Bbm! ("Used" copies going for pennies at the moment ... )
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                I thought that she had, and conveyed, a deep knowledge of composer and work, and a perceptive ear.
                Oh, absolutely - I have no doubt that she'd get the correct location of the Nielsen's sunrise! - it's totally a case of my personal dislike of the stream of adjectives and similes that is her personal style (and which I've mentioned on a couple of H&N).
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  I’d say that this is a BaL that’s served its purpose then, regardless of the reviewer’s final recommendation.

That purpose being, of course, to persuade us to shell out more beans, however small, and add to the pressure on our already groaning shelves.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                    • Apr 2011

Oh, absolutely - I have no doubt that she'd get the correct location of the Nielsen's sunrise! - it's totally a case of my personal dislike of the stream of adjectives and similes that is her personal style (and which I've mentioned on a couple of H&N).
                    She probably knows who stabbed himself in the foot too.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I just found myself wondering, when she said the KWC/Previn put KWC centre stage rather than Prokoviev (more or less), what does that actually mean? Too forwardly miked, or was it an interpretation thing, and how did this manifest itself?

Comment

• Mal
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                        I’d say that most of what she has said so far has been pretty much spot-on, with a lot of acute observations, and an imaginative and telling choice of descriptive words and phrases.
                        I agree, and there's nothing wrong with proper enthusiasm, and showing your love for the music. I wish she had played a bit more Oistrakh, and added a few more observations. But that's my bias showing, I only have (and really like) Oistrakh/LSO and may just stick with this and not supplement on this occasion.

Comment

• Master Jacques
                          • Feb 2012

Not my style of presentation at all. Too much heavy breathing and lugubrious squeezing out of strained adjectival waste material. Impossible to trust a word she says, and the "victor" was predictable - a sentimental rather than sensible choice of BaL.

And I found her comment about KWC (with Previn) totally without foundation, technically or musically. Never did a performance sound less egotistical, or more at the service of the piece, in my opinion. Baffling...

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                            I just found myself wondering, when she said the KWC/Previn put KWC centre stage rather than Prokoviev (more or less), what does that actually mean? Too forwardly miked, or was it an interpretation thing, and how did this manifest itself?
                            I think it’s a fairly common way of suggesting that the soloist has departed from the letter and/or spirit of the work for egocentric reasons. Whether, and how, it manifests it varies from performance to performance, and the perception is usually subjective to some extent at least.

Comment

• Mal
                              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              Maybe she meant there was a tendency to smooth out the quirky bits in the cause of producing a very warm and beautiful sound? Not complaining, actually, it was one of four performances I put on my "maybe purchase" list. I think Previn and the LSO can really bring out the romanticism and lyricism of Russian music when they are on form (e.g., his Rach #2 with Ashkenazy...)

Comment

• ardcarp
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

I felt Kate had a 'listener-friendly' style....and I rather liked it. She clearly preferred soloists who didn't foreground themselves too much, and she (rightly IMO) spent some time talking about orchestral matters. I rather agree that, as I heard it...

Zimmerman sounded good, and I expected Frang to as well, but it seemed to me that the balance was wrong. The violinist is very far back, yet there was clearly (IMO) some tinkering with the balance, as "suddenly" some woodwind instruments leapt to the fore.
                                I grew up with Oistrakh's Prokoviev, where the solo part dominated, partly for recording reasons! I'd love to hear the whole Frang performance, but my CD fund is running low.....

Comment

Working...
                                X