• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

BaL 12.1.19 - Prokofiev: Violin concerto 1 in D

Building a Library: Kate Molleson listens to and compares some of the available recordings of Prokofiev's Violin Concerto No.1.

Prokofiev began sketching his Violin Concerto No.1 in 1915 against a backdrop of war, and composed the bulk of it in the turbulent revolutionary year of 1917. It proved to be one of his first mature works. The Violin Concerto is a virtuosically brilliant work, that also captures the lyrical quality of the violin with searing melodies that rise above the orchestra. It was premiered on 18th October in 1923 by violinist Marcel Darrieux under Serge Koussevitzky at the Paris Opera, but was somewhat overshadowed in that concert alongside a performance of Stravinsky's Octet.

Batiashvili/COE/Nezet-Seguin
    Beaver/Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony/Komatsu
    Belkin/LPO/Kondrashin
    Berman/Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana/Boreyko
    Bell/OSM/Dutoit
    Chang/BPO/Rattle
    Chung/LSO/Previn
    Dubeau/Kiev SO/Blazhov
    Ehnes/BBCPO/Noseda
    Fischer/RNO/Kreizberg
    Frang/WDR Sinfonieorchester/Sondergard
    Frautschi/Seattle SO/Schwarz
    Friedman/Boston SO/Leinsdorf
    Gluzman/Estonian National SO/Jarvi
    Gringolts/Goteborgs Symfoniker/Jarvi
    Gulli/Orchestra Alessandro Scarlatti di Napoli/Celibidache
    Joesfowicz/OSM/Dutoit
    Kagan/Academic SO of the State Philharmony, Moscow/Sinaisky
    Kavakos/Marinsky Theatre Orchestra/Gergiev
    Koelman/Musikkollegium Winterthur/Boyd
    Kun/English String Orchestra/Menuhin
    Lin/LAPO/Salonen
    Meyers/RSO Frankfurt/Kitayenko
    Milanova/Bulgarian Naional Radio SO/Stefanov
    Milstein/Philharmonia O/Giulini
    Mintz/Chicago SO/Abbado
    Mordkovich/RSNO/Jarvi
    Mutter/NSO Washington/Rostropovich
    Odnoposoff/Radio Zurch Orchestra/Hollreiser
    Oistrakh (David)/LSO/von Matacic
    Oistrakh (David)/Swedish Radio SO/Westerberg
    Oistrakh (David)/Prague Symphony Orchestra/Kubelik
    Oistrakh (Igor)/USSR TV and Radio Large SO/Rozhdestvensky
    Papavrami/Polish National Radio SO/Wit
    Park/Kalamazoo SO/Harvey
    Peinemann/Bavarian Radio SO/Wand
    Perlman/BBCSO/Rozhdestvensky
    Petrova/Odense SO/Poska
    Pietsch/Deutsches SO, Berlin/Macelaru
    Repin/LPO/Lazarev
    Ricci/OSR/Ansermet
    Shaham/LSO/Previn
    Sitkovetsky/LSO/C Davis
    Staryk/Royal Concertgebouw/Haitink
    Staryk/Vancouver SO/ Akiyama
    Steinbache/Russian NO/Petrenko
    Stern/NYPO/Mehta
    Stern/Philadelphia O/Ormandy
    Szigeti/LPO/Beecham
    Szigeti/?/Szell (1945, Carnegie Hall)
    Trusler/BBCNOW/Llewellyn
    van Keulen/NDR Radiophilharmonie/Manze
    Vengerov/LSO/Rostropovich
    Wallez/ONF/Ahronovitch
    Zimmermann/BPO/Maazel
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 12-01-19, 11:22. Reason: 'Winner' identified.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

I hope that Alpie and other hosts won't mind if I've jumped the gun by starting a thread for the next BaL.

Information gleaned from the Presto site: no distinction made for releases that are just downloads.
    Happy to edit/amend if further information comes along (or I have time to investigate which releases are CD, downloads, other).

I have Stern/PO/Ormandy, Sitkovetsky, and Chung.
    Listened to all three earlier, and still adore the Stern, possibly because of the well-known 'first version I got to know' syndrome, but it certainly packs a punch.
    Looking forward to this BaL a great deal.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

What? No Zimmermann/BP/Maazel? Amazon.co.uk have it, "New".

Warning. The Cello Concerto on this double album is, IIRC, cut. A shame, as I actually prefer it to its re-write as Op. 125.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        What? No Zimmermann/BP/Maazel? Amazon.co.uk have it, "New".

Wouldn't you know it!
        I should have said E&OE as a caveat!
        Don't know how I missed it, as it's in the Presto listings.

I'll add it.
        Last edited by Pulcinella; 06-01-19, 17:45.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Many thanks, indeed, Pulcie

The orchestra for the Oistrach/Kubelik recording is what is nowadays called in English the Prague Symphony Orchestra. (The original name refers to it as the "Film, Opera, and Concert Symphony Orchestra of Prague - "FOK Symfonicky Orchestr Praha".)
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Many thanks, indeed, Pulcie

The orchestra for the Oistrach/Kubelik recording is what is nowadays called in English the Prague Symphony Orchestra. (The original name refers to it as the "Film, Opera, and Concert Symphony Orchestra of Prague - "FOK Symfonicky Orchestr Praha".)
            Added (in English ).

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

One of my absolute all time favourite pieces! I had the Stern/Ormandy recording as a teenager and just about played it into the ground. Alas, I lost track of the Lp and bought the remake with Mehta which, imho, lacked the sheer devil may care energy of the first recording. Eventually, I got the Ormandy on a cd from the USA, one of my first internet purchases.

I really looked forward to the Perlman/Rozhdestvensky recording but found it was a rare off day for the soloist. Anyway, I've just bought a record of Igor Oistrakh playing it on Lp which I intend to have professionally transferred to cd.

Comment

• edashtav
                • Jul 2012

Like P. & P., I feasted on the Stern, Philadelphia, Ormandy LP whilst a student. My response was different: I played the 2nd Concerto to death, luxuriating in the heavenly melody in its slow movement which I compared favourably to the middle movement of Mozart's G major concerto that had arrived fortuitously as the final side of a Melodiya double album of Myaskovsky's Sixth Symphony. And the First Concerto? Oh dear, I scoffed at it, labelling it slight and Mendelssohnian. It has remained almost unplayed. Not until a chance encounter at a RFH Concert a few years ago, did I bother to reassess the earlier beauty! ( I've since updated my collection but look forward to further guidance from RR!)

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                  Like P. & P., I feasted on the Stern, Philadelphia, Ormandy LP whilst a student. My response was different: I played the 2nd Concerto to death, luxuriating in the heavenly melody in its slow movement which I compared favourably to the middle movement of Mozart's G major concerto that had arrived fortuitously as the final side of a Melodiya double album of Myaskovsky's Sixth Symphony. And the First Concerto? Oh dear, I scoffed at it, labelling it slight and Mendelssohnian. It has remained almost unplayed. Not until a chance encounter at a RFH Concert a few years ago, did I bother to reassess the earlier beauty! ( I've since updated my collection but look forward to further guidance from RR!)
                  I was lucky enough to receive the Szeryng 'Big Box' courtesy of my beloved for Christmas and have played the Prokofiev No.2 slow movement over and over! What a glorious work it is.

I must dig out the Stern/Ormandy disc tonite!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

A bit off topic but does anyone remember the CfP record with Maurice Hasson as soloist with the New Philharmonia conducted by Gerard Devos with the slightly odd coupling of Paganini's First Concerto?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      A bit off topic but does anyone remember the CfP record with Maurice Hasson as soloist with the New Philharmonia conducted by Gerard Devos with the slightly odd coupling of Paganini's First Concerto?
                      Yes - if that's the one with the cover photo of Hasson in frantic mid-arpeggio? (If so, it's the cover I remember; I don't think I ever heard the record itself! )

PS Yup - not as "frantic" as I'd "remembered"

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Have quite a few versions and would be inclined to plump for KWC with Previn if I had to choose only one . I am however very fond of Oistrakh/Matacic,Frang,Shaham ,Lin,Fischer and Stern/Mitropoulos and have recently bought and not yet listened to the BAtiashvili.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Yes - if that's the one with the cover photo of Hasson in frantic mid-arpeggio? (If so, it's the cover I remember; I don't think I ever heard the record itself! )

PS Yup - not as "frantic" as I'd "remembered"

That's the one! Alas, another record that, afaik, hasn't made it to cd. (Hasson also recorded the Bruch g minor and the Scottish Fantasy with the SNO under Sir Alex Gibson). One day, when I can afford it, I'll have these records transferred to cd. (For personal use only!)

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                            That's the one! Alas, another record that, afaik, hasn't made it to cd. (Hasson also recorded the Bruch g minor and the Scottish Fantasy with the SNO under Sir Alex Gibson). One day, when I can afford it, I'll have these records transferred to cd. (For personal use only!)
                            I've only just noticed - that's the Prokofiev Second Vln Conc!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

I heard the recently released Petrova/Odense SO/Poska before Christmas, and it is truly lovely - AND c/w an excellent account of the Nielsen Concerto...so if you're looking for a fresh take, try that one...

Listen to unlimited or download Prokofiev & Nielsen: Violin Concertos by Liya Petrova in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Comment

Working...
                              X