X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    Yup, my heart sank when I tuned in shortly after the start and I thought, "Oh, I didn't realise that it was a twofer", but then no AMcG to witter on - so it all went uphill from there on in. Really enjoyed the programme - and have ordered the winner, which I thought from the extracts played, deserved the laurels - not that there was much wrong with Hogwood or Marriner.
    I share your view about the 'winner' and Hogwood* and Marriner. I'm going to wait for - with any luck - a second-hand, cheaper version of the winner to crop up (does happen, often)

*The only reservation I had with Hogwood (based only on the extracts) was that it sounded terribly English, a bit prim and proper - as though Parry might have written it - not that that's a bad thing at all, but it is by a Czech composer, and requires that touch of rusticness. I rather enjoy Christopher Warren-Green's recording.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Yes - I'm glad you said that, Paulie; I thought it was just me when I read MJ & DracoM's posts. A sort of distracted start (reminding me of many a long Parents' Evening, when teachers have to summon all their attention away from getting home and concentrating instead on the two last sets of parents). Quite a few pauses before obvious words ("the theme is presented here on the ... oboe") as if consulting notes; and a few chuckles to convey that she was interested and engaged, honest.

But they can't please us all, I s'ppose - and it was very good to hear the extracts of a piece that hasn't before "clicked" with me. I think my own money will be heading towards the Kertesz, though.
      For what it’s worth, I’m with you and Paulie on this one. The apparent spontaneity struck me as rather studied and, therefore, grating. But I’m glad others liked it.

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Just listened and enjoyed the review. The more chatty style with occasional accompanying chuckles was not irksome for me, but ran the potential risk of becoming so. The Nash Ensemble, mentioned above by a couple of us was not included, though available, and my other version, Alexander Schneider with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe, which I thought was not available - not on Alpie's list - got two snippets with very positive comments. It was described in the summing up as "idiosyncratic", but I notice it does turn up as an alternative recommendation on the website. I now see that it is actually available - from Presto who are offering it under licence as a CDR.

I liked what I heard of the winner but don't feel the need to buy a third recording.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... I do like the performance by the Linos Ensemble she is playing :

Yes, it stood out for me during the review, and I'm very glad to have been made aware of this ensemble.

Happily the disc is on Qobuz and has been burbling away in the kitchen this morning; plus I'm looking forward to exploring their other recordings. The recordings of wind music by Franz Schmidt and Louise Farrenc will be first up!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
            I share your view about the 'winner' and Hogwood* and Marriner. I'm going to wait for - with any luck - a second-hand, cheaper version of the winner to crop up (does happen, often)

*The only reservation I had with Hogwood (based only on the extracts) was that it sounded terribly English, a bit prim and proper - as though Parry might have written it - not that that's a bad thing at all, but it is by a Czech composer, and requires that touch of rusticness. I rather enjoy Christopher Warren-Green's recording.
            Interesting comment, though of course Hogwood was, in his early years, quite immersed in Czech culture, studying as he did with Zuzana Ruczikova. His time spent in the country gave him a love of Martinu, which he recorded quite extensively later on his career.

Comment

• visualnickmos
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              Interesting comment, though of course Hogwood was, in his early years, quite immersed in Czech culture, studying as he did with Zuzana Ruczikova. His time spent in the country gave him a love of Martinu, which he recorded quite extensively later on his career.
              Indeed, but it is only my impression - maybe the other extracts played had a sort of subliminal effect! That said - I have nothing negative to say about Hogwood's recording... looking back, maybe my comment was clumsily worded.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I have the Nash Ensemble -

(also available in this box:

http://amzn.eu/d/a8QlRcJ )
                and this one:

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Yes, I felt the same. Her first few sentences were so 'conversational' I thought it must be a 'twofer' chat with AMcG - but no: as you say, just a refreshingly spontaneous yet well-prepared presentation. Top marks from me...
                  It was an interesting, different approach, but it tended to sound so chatty and matter-of-fact that at certain points I thought that she was going to tell us what she was going to do for the rest of the weekend or what she had to buy at the shops.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Yes, it stood out for me during the review, and I'm very glad to have been made aware of this ensemble.

Happily the disc is on Qobuz and has been burbling away in the kitchen this morning; plus I'm looking forward to exploring their other recordings. The recordings of wind music by Franz Schmidt and Louise Farrenc will be first up!
                    Ah that sounds rather tempting Cali.

Does Qobuz just music stream classical music?
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                      Ah that sounds rather tempting Cali.

Does Qobuz just music stream classical music?
                      No, there's plenty of jazz - and perhaps other genres: but it's easy to avoid stuff that doesn't interest you, as I have. But on classical, it's certainly as comprehensive as I need, generally-speaking.

The search facility is somewhat random, sometimes: more often than not, I'm after a new release, I put in 'composer - conductor' and what I'm after doesn't come up.... but if I just put in 'composer', the recording I was looking for pops up first of the list (new releases seem to feature high in the lists). Bit odd... But if you vary the search terms, you can normally find what you're after (as long as it's not on Hyperion )
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

No, there's plenty of jazz - and perhaps other genres: but it's easy to avoid stuff that doesn't interest you, as I have. But on classical, it's certainly as comprehensive as I need, generally-speaking.

The search facility is somewhat random, sometimes: more often than not, I'm after a new release, I put in 'composer - conductor' and what I'm after doesn't come up.... but if I just put in 'composer', the recording I was looking for pops up first of the list (new releases seem to feature high in the lists). Bit odd... But if you vary the search terms, you can normally find what you're after (as long as it's not on Hyperion )
                        That is a great shame about Hyperion. I’m having to buy a lot from them. Although you can do downloads. But not the same thing really, that, is it? I still love the feel of the real thing!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mikealdren
                          • Nov 2010

I've just bought the Naxos Oslo Philharmonic performance which I don't think was discussed, it's very good....

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                            I've just bought the Naxos Oslo Philharmonic performance which I don't think was discussed, it's very good....
                            Gave it an airing (was going to say a spin but as it's a ripped FLAC file not sure what the correct term is) this morning and agree, quite unaccountably overlooked by the reviewer.

Comment

Working...
                            X