• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 27.10.18 - Purcell: King Arthur

Building a Library: Kirsten Gibson surveys the recordings of Purcell's King Arthur
    King Arthur, or The British Worthy is a semi-opera by Henry Purcell with a libretto by John Dryden, first performed at the Queen's Theatre, Dorset Garden, London, in 1691. It is based on the battles between the Britons and the Saxons and contains some of Purcell's most melodic and adventurous music.

Available versions:-

Véronique Gens, Claron McFadden, Susannah Waters, Mark Padmore, Iain Paton & Jonathan Best
    Les Arts Florissants, William Christie

Deller Consort & Choir, The Kings Musick, Alfred Deller

Stephen Varcoe, Gillian Fisher, Gill Ross, Ashley Stafford, Paul Elliott, Ashley Stafford, Jennifer Smith, Elisabeth Priday, English Baroque Soloists, Monteverdi Choir, Sir John Eliot Gardiner

Hervey Alan, John Whitworth, Elsie Morison, Wilfred Brown, Mary Thomas, Trevor Anthony, David Galliver, Heather Harper, John Cameron, Philomusica of London, St Anthony Singers, Anthony Lewis (download)

Véronique Gens, Hanna Bayodi, Béatrice Jarrige, Cyril Auvity, Joseph Cornwell, Peter Harvey
    Le Concert Spirituel, Hervé Niquet

Ana Maria Labin, Chantal Santon-Jeffery, Mélodie Ruvio, Mathias Vidal, Marc Mauillon, Joao Fernandes, Joao Fernandes, Le Concert Spirituel, Hervé Niquet (DVD)

Vox Luminis, Lionel Meunier

Angus Davidson, Julia Gooding, Linda Perillo, James Oxley, Nancy Argenta , Brian Bannatyne-Scott, Gerald Finley, Jeremy Birchall, Stephen Alder, Jamie MacDougall, Mark Tucker, Carol Hall, Rachel Bevan, Nigel Short, Caroline Ashton, Simon Davies, Simon Birchall, The English Concert, The English Concert Choir, Trevor Pinnock
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 27-10-18, 19:20.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

This should be a manageable one for the presenter, as there isn't a huge discograpphy. (Well done as always, Alpie!) I didn't know Vox Luminis had recorded it. They're one of my fave groups...but I've no idea how a Belgian ensemble will deal with a very English piece.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

I have the Niquet (DVD) and the Pinnock (in the Collectors Edition box). I am very fond of the Niquet (great fun with a big debt owed to Monty Python et al) but have to admit I have yet to listen to the Pinnock, despite having had the boxed set for some years. I must do so soon.

Here's a small sample of the Niquet:

Last edited by Bryn; 18-10-18, 21:42.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Hmmm, guess might it be time to consider 'supplementing' my old Oiseau-Lyre LP set under Sir Anthony Lewis?

Bit sad that this doesn't seem to be still in the CD catalogues: it has its merits still I feel - the sopranos are Elsie Morison and Heather Harper and the tenor a certain Wilfred Brown

PS Ah, I have CD highlights from the Deller set too, but just possibly HIPP and some later scholarship will be worth further investment(?).
        Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 18-10-18, 21:42. Reason: PS Deller
        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

About time they had a work by Purcell on! I have Gardiner’s recording. Hope he wins! Not many to choose from though?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
            About time they had a work by Purcell on! I have Gardiner’s recording. Hope he wins! Not many to choose from though?
            It isn't a football match.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

I too am fond of the Gardiner version. Would like to hear the Christie. This should be a good BAL.

Comment

• doversoul1
                Ex Member
                • Dec 2010

Kijk voor meer concerten op: http://avrotros.nl/klassiek/concertenhttp://facebook.com/avrotros.klassiek - http://twitter.com/klassiekonlineLa Fenice o.lv. Je...

Vox Luminis / La Fenice - Purcell: King Arthur

From 2015 Festival Oude Muziek Utrecht

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Just to clarify, neither the CD nor the DVD with Niquet in charge has the full Dryden contribution. The former does without spoken sections and the latter is pretty loosely based on the Dryden. I think that should basically rule both out as library choices, though I would urge either/both as supplementary versions to have.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

I thought Harry Christophers and his merry gang recorded this?
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      Hmmm, guess might it be time to consider 'supplementing' my old Oiseau-Lyre LP set under Sir Anthony Lewis? Bit sad that this doesn't seem to be still in the CD catalogues: it has its merits still I feel - the sopranos are Elsie Morison and Heather Harper and the tenor a certain Wilfred Brown
                      ... as a footnote to Alpie's excellent list - I see that the Anthony Lewis is also available in CD format :

I see there is also this, with Fred: Chauvet and Barokopera Amsterdam -

http://amzn.eu/d/ikOSXEQ.

Last edited by vinteuil; 20-10-18, 08:51.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... as a footnote to Alpie's excellent list - I see that the Anthony Lewis is also available in CD format :

Vints: the Lewis is only available s/h which I think takes it outside Alpie's criteria
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

I thought Harry Christophers and his merry gang recorded this?
                          A couple of queens (one Indian, the other Fairy ) - but no kings from Mr Christophers and his vocal hexadectet, Bbm,

(By coincidence, I had the same thought about the NAXOS Scholars Baroque Ensemble, with the same results - so it turns out I've only got the JEGgers.)
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            A couple of queens (one Indian, the other Fairy ) - but no kings from Mr Christophers and his vocal hexadectet, Bbm,

(By coincidence, I had the same thought about the NAXOS Scholars Baroque Ensemble, with the same results - so it turns out I've only got the JEGgers.)
                            The Seize and their boss did it at the EIF six years ago, to less than glowing reception from Kate Molleson in the Grauniad. It was probably broadcast, so there will be recordings out there, or maybe even on a hard disc somewhere about the house.

Hmm. A Google search suggests it was not broadcast.

Comment

• doversoul1
                              Ex Member
                              • Dec 2010

Bump.

Comment

Working...
                              X