Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

I'm thoroughly enjoying this fascinating thread with everyone's thoughts.

Must say that I was really surprised by the omission of the Archiv/Pinnock recording, when it held sway for some years in the catalogue.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... for Beethoven read Bach. Or wicy wercy...
      To clarify: I have quite a few sets of the Beethoven Piano Concertos, but none at all of the Bach Harpsichord Concertos, so whilst I covet the Schoonderwoerd/Cristofori Beethoven set, I think that that will have to wait in the queue behind Staier and/or Egarr.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        It's fair to assume
        Why?

For example, the Weimar cantata BWV31 has 17 separate instrumental parts (only six of which are for string instruments - two violins, two violas, cello, violone), which implies that if there was a complement of 22 players in all there can't have been more than two players per string part. If two thirds of the musicians were string players that would imply a total complement of 33. Again there's no reason to think of Bach's instrumental ensemble as conforming to the later concept of an orchestra, and the documentary evidence that exists points rather in the opposite direction.

Comment

• Beresford
          • Apr 2012

I liked all three of the reviewers favourites - and some others that didn't get a look in, esp Concero Copenhagen.
          Egarr was very subtle and nuanced in an English way. Van Asperen was a little dogmatic in a Dutch way, Freiburg Baroque were powerful and slightly less subtle in a German way. I couldn't tell if Cafe Zimmerman (Frisch) sounded French - I didn't hear enough, and I don't know if the band is French. All so enjoyable.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
            I liked all three of the reviewers favourites - and some others that didn't get a look in, esp Concero Copenhagen.
            Egarr was very subtle and nuanced in an English way. Van Asperen was a little dogmatic in a Dutch way, Freiburg Baroque were powerful and slightly less subtle in a German way. I couldn't tell if Cafe Zimmerman (Frisch) sounded French - I didn't hear enough, and I don't know if the band is French. All so enjoyable.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

For example, the Weimar cantata BWV31 has 17 separate instrumental parts (only six of which are for string instruments - two violins, two violas, cello, violone), which implies that if there was a complement of 22 players in all there can't have been more than two players per string part. If two thirds of the musicians were string players that would imply a total complement of 33. Again there's no reason to think of Bach's instrumental ensemble as conforming to the later concept of an orchestra, and the documentary evidence that exists points rather in the opposite direction.
              Folks might like to know that English Touring Opera is doing the Matthew Passion, one instrument per part, in Exeter Cathedral on Friday 23rd November. [Strange time of year, yes.] Luckily for the tenors, it's not quite OVPP.

Comment

• Beresford
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                Folks might like to know that English Touring Opera is doing the Matthew Passion, one instrument per part, in Exeter Cathedral on Friday 23rd November. [Strange time of year, yes.] Luckily for the tenors, it's not quite OVPP.
                And many other places:

Comment

Working...
                X