• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 24.02.18 - Berlioz: The Damnation of Faust

Building a Library: Nicholas Baragwanath makes a personal choice from the available recordings of Berlioz's The Damnation of Faust.

Faust is a work for solo voices, chorus and orchestra, inspired by a translation of Goethe's dramatic poem Faust and like the Goethe it is a piece that defies easy categorization. It's part-oratorio and part-opera. Berlioz ultimately called it a dramatic legend. And it is full of Berlioz's characteristically eccentric style and colourful orchestration. It is a thrilling work.

Available versions:-

Arthur Oldham, Plácido Domingo, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Jules Bastin, Orchestre de Paris, Choeur de l'Orchestre de Paris, Daniel Barenboim (Download)

Eduard Van Beinum

Michael Myers, Marie-Ange Todorovitch, Alain Vernhes, René Schirrer, , Slovak Philharmonic Choir, Orchestre National de Lille/ Région Nord-Pas de Calais, Jean-Claude Casadesus

Anne Sofie von Otter, Bryn Terfel, Keith Lewis, Victor von Halem, Philharmonia Chorus & Orchestra, Myung-Whun Chung

André Cluytens

Giuseppe Sabbatini, Enkelejda Shkosa, Michele Pertusi, David Wilson-Johnson (Brander)
    London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, Sir Colin Davis

Nicolai Gedda, Jules Bastin, Josephine Veasey, Richard Van Allan, Gillian Knight, Ambrosian Singers, London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, Sir Colin Davis

Michel Philippe, Gilles Cachemaille, Françoise Pollet, Richard Leech, Michel Philippe, Neal Gripp, Darquise Bilodeau , Montreal Symphony Orchestra, Choeur de l'Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal, Charles Dutoit

Franz Vroons, Hans Hotter, Elizabeth Schwarzkopf, Alois Pernerstorfer, Orchestra del Festival di Lucerna, Coro del Festival di Lucerna, Wilhelm Furtwängler (Download)

Michael Myers, Anne Sofie von Otter, Jean-Philippe Lafont, Orchestre de l'Opéra de Lyon, John Eliot Gardiner (Download)

Charlotte Margiono, Thomas Quasthoff, Vinson Cole, Jaco Huijpen, Radio Filharmonisch Orkest, Groot Omroepkoor, Bernard Haitink

Denés Gulyás, Maria Ewing, Robert Lloyd, Manfred Volz, Radio-Sinfonie Orchester Frankfurt, Kölner Rundfunkchor, Südfunk-Chor Stuttgart, Chor des NDR Hamburg, Eliahu Inbal

Nicolai Gedda, Régine Crespin, Ernest Blanc, Louis Morin, Choir and Orchestra National de la R T F, Igor Markevitch (Download)

Consuelo Rubio, Richard Verreau, Michel Roux, Pierre Mollet, Elisabeth Brasseur Choir, Chœur Enfants, R.T.F. · Orchestre Lamoureux, Paris, Igor Markevitch (Download)

Susan Graham, Thomas Moser, José Van Dam, Frédéric Caton, Orchestre et Choeurs de Opéra de Lyon, Kent Nagano (Download)

Edith Mathis, Stuart Burrows, Donald McIntyre, Thomas Paul, John Oliver, Donald McIntyre, Judith Dickison, Boston Boys Choir, Tanglewood Festival Chorus, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Seiji Ozawa

Gabriel Bacquier, Dame Janet Baker, Pierre Thau, Maria Peronne, Pierre Thau, Nicolai Gedda, Brad Smith,
    Jean Laforge, Choeurs du Théâtre National de l'Opéra, Choeurs Du Théâtre National De L'Opéra De Paris, Georges Prêtre (Download)

Nicolai Gedda, Marilyn Horne, Roger Sayer, Dimiter Petkov, Orchestra & Chorus of the Rome Opera, Georges Pretre

Malcolm King, José van Dam, Kenneth Riegel, Frederica von Stade, José van Dam, Glen Ellyn Children's Chorus, Chicago Symphony Chorus, Chicago SO, Sir Georg Solti

Anne Sofie von Otter, Keith Lewis, José Van Dam, Peter Rose, Chicago Symphony Chorus and Orchestra, Sir Georg Solti (DVD)
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 24-02-18, 11:14.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Apologies for the slight delay this week. The sources of information conflict considerably, and there are probably oodles of mistakes.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Precious little interest in this, so I offer a spoiler:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Precious little interest in this, so I offer a spoiler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuAQAJhT6Sk
        Thanks EA.

Just checked out the blurb on that recording.

"Faust .
        The best Classical Music for Studying and Concentration. The most relaxing music played by the biggest Symphony Orchestra of all time [Full Recording in High Quality Sound], this Soft best classical music for relaxation and studying, concentration. is Ideal for restaurant, bar, café, hotel lobby, resort."

Good to know.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

It's Saturday night, Alpie - we're all watching Modus, and listening to Wagner and Hear & Now!

I have Gardiner and Inbal (the latter is a fantastic performance, much, much better than the former), and I used to have the DG Heliodor LPs of the Markevich. Curious that there doesn't seem to be a HIPP recording available ...
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            It's Saturday night, Alpie - we're all watching Modus, and listening to Wagner and Hear & Now!

I have Gardiner and Inbal (the latter is a fantastic performance, much, much better than the former), and I used to have the DG Heliodor LPs of the Markevich. Curious that there doesn't seem to be a HIPP recording available ...
            Well I guess this is Historically-informed in the best sense.... isn't it?
            Listen to unlimited or download Berlioz : La Damnation de Faust (28 mai 1953) by Désiré Inghelbrecht in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

It has that true French Sound...(like his Debussy Pelleas...) . I love so much of this piece (from those first, swirlingly, yearningly Romantic bars...) but listen to it so rarely, I can't possibly form a judgement on the best....

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I’m glad this is coming for scrutiny, as I only have Solti. I see that JEGGERS has recorded this, so will be looking out for that one.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                I’m glad this is coming for scrutiny, as I only have Solti. I see that JEGGERS has recorded this, so will be looking out for that one.
                "Used - Very Good" copies available from around the £7 bracket, Bbm. He recorded it about thirty years ago, and it isn't as good as the later Berlioz recordings he made with the OR&R, but certainly worth having.

But I'd strongly suggest you also give ear-room to the Inbal, new copies of which are available for around the same price:

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

....What's that Faust been up to again....is he in the Sunday papers for some indiscretion?....he's very fickle - just the sort to get himself in trouble....
                  bong ching

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

But I'd strongly suggest you also give ear-room to the Inbal, new copies of which are available for around the same price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Berlioz-Dam.../dp/B008L62X0A
                    Couldn't find this on any streaming service (Naxos Music Library/Spotify etc) but there is a 4 minute You Tube:
                    Berlioz - La Damnation de Faust Brilliant Classics 2CD 94391 5028421943916Maria Ewing, Denes Gulyás, Robert Lloyd, Christiane Oelze | Kölner Rundfunkchor, Sü...

It sounds good, and its always a pleasure to hear Robert Lloyd.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... the Inbal is much my favourite, and I heartily second ferney's recommendation. I'd go further and suggest the 11 CD box which gives you the Faust and a whole lot more -

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

... the Markevitch, which appears in Alpie's list as download-only, can also be found as a CD in this very interesting set -

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          I'd go further and suggest the 11 CD box which gives you the Faust and a whole lot more -

http://amzn.eu/8v5B26M
                          and yet again - that's the box I know the Faust recording from, and it includes the Requiem that "won" the BaL laurels when that work was under scrutiny eight or so years ago.

Comment

• ARBurton
                            • May 2011

Much as I love Berlioz, somehow Faust has never quite grabbed me in the way that Romeo et Juliette has or, even more so, Les Troyens.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

"Used - Very Good" copies available from around the £7 bracket, Bbm. He recorded it about thirty years ago, and it isn't as good as the later Berlioz recordings he made with the OR&R, but certainly worth having.

I might get both! I forgot I have the Sir Colin Davis recording as well. Merry
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X