• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... I don't think this is an arrangement - the musicologist Nick Ingman's studies established the 1873 octet version (two violins, viola, double-bass, clarinet, horn, bassoon, piano) as the 'original'. The liner notes to the Czech Nonet CD on Praga say "the presence of a piano and a double-bass in the direct melodic role manifest a da camera essence that the final version for strings alone must preserve. The discovery of this early instrumental work makes it hard to defend the extension to large string orchestra that is frequently heard today."

Re-issued more recently as https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/cl...s-from-bohemia

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

My only CD version is Chamber Orchestra Of Europe with Alexander Schneider. Published on ASV in 1984, it is one of the oldest CDs in my collection. Coupled with the op 44 Wind Serenade, at 54 mins it offers rather short disc length by current standards but is something of a classic which could well still be in the running. Re-issued on COE's own label.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... I don't think this is an arrangement - the musicologist Nick Ingman's studies established the 1873 octet version (two violins, viola, double-bass, clarinet, horn, bassoon, piano) as the 'original'. The liner notes to the Czech Nonet CD on Praga say "the presence of a piano and a double-bass in the direct melodic role manifest a da camera essence that the final version for strings alone must preserve. The discovery of this early instrumental work makes it hard to defend the extension to large string orchestra that is frequently heard today."

Thank you that fascinating snippet. I've tweaked the OP.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

My two favourite versions are Christopher Warren-Green direction The Philharmonia Orchestra. One of the first CDs I ever bought. And not forgetting Herbert von Karajan with the mighty Berliner Philharmoniker. (Although it was a real howler when one of the fiddles plays an incorrect chord in the 3rd movement! Great to hear that even, occasionally, these guys can get it wrong!)

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I selected tge ASMF/Marriner version which also has the Tchaikovsky and Elgar serenades. IMO a very good recording
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              I selected tge ASMF/Marriner version which also has the Tchaikovsky and Elgar serenades. IMO a very good recording

Comment

• Pianoman
                • Jan 2013

Just discovered a disc i'd forgotten I'd got (as you do...) but contains a rather good performance of the Serenade - Rudolf Kempe/ Munich PO, as a coupling to Ormandy's New World. Ok, it's a rather 'big-boned' rendition, but thoroughly captivating, warm, generous and lovingly phrased, in fact, a typical Kempe performance ! It will sit nicely alongside my 'chamber' version...

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Thank you that fascinating snippet. I've tweaked the OP.
                  From what I read in the booklet notes, Nick Ingrams uncovered, rather than arranged, the original octet version. There is an arrangement on the Praga Digital disc, but that is the nonet one of the Op.44 Wind Serenade.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    When BaL did the Tchaikovsky Serenade in 2003 , they picked the Stockholm/Berglund on BIS, which is coupled with the Dvorak. Could the recording maybe do the double?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Multi-talented - and it is a jewel of a work.

https://www.hvaf.org.uk/News/Newslet...Sarah-Devonald
                      - and as for a [?] silver Brussels sprout

I seem to have two versions - LPO/Hogwood, and - on LP - one I'd forgotten I had, Suk Chamber Orchestra/Suk, on Supraphon, doesn't get more authentic than that, must give it a spin.

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Alps, what is interesting is the number of recordings no longer available, some never on CD perhaps, some of which are very good indeed:

LSO Ahronovitch
                        ECO Barenboim
                        NS Chung
                        LausanneCO Jordan
                        IPO Kubelik
                        SCO Laredo
                        ASMF Marriner*
                        * two recordings one was Argo, the other Philips
                        J-FPaillardCO Paillard
                        LFO Pople
                        MunPAO Redel
                        BBCSO Schwarz R
                        RPO Stokowski
                        VirtPrague Vlcek
                        SlovakCO Warchal
                        StPCO Wolff
                        And LPO / Zdenek Macal on CFP. A treat.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Bump!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                            My two favourite versions are Christopher Warren-Green direction The Philharmonia Orchestra. One of the first CDs I ever bought. And not forgetting Herbert von Karajan with the mighty Berliner Philharmoniker. (Although it was a real howler when one of the fiddles plays an incorrect chord in the 3rd movement! Great to hear that even, occasionally, these guys can get it wrong!)
                            Interesting that Ms. Devenald played that very passage and didn't notice the howler!

Comment

• verismissimo
                              • Nov 2010

Hrusa. Sounded terrific!

Comment

• mikealdren
                                • Nov 2010

It's one of those pieces where the style and overall feel of the piece is essential and that makes it difficult to take apart in a forensic way for RR. Personally, I dislike those who impose lots of unmarked rhythmic changes, Dvorak is all about free flowing freshness.

I have the Kubelik ECO, Vlach and Warren-Green London CO. The last wasn't shortlisted, it's very fast indeed and very well played but slightly sole less; it doesn't sing.

Comment

Working...
                                X