X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Fashion has always been a form of oneupmanship.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Fashion has always been a form of oneupmanship.
      Whereas those who claim to be above such things as fashion....

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        Whereas those who claim to be above such things as fashion....

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Welsh National Opera performed a fully-staged version in 2003. It was an excellent production, conducted by Paul McCreesh, with Mark Padmore, Christopher Purves and Susan Bickley. With the WNO Chorus too, I reckon it would have given most recordings some competition.

I recall a palpable-audible collective gulp from the audience when Padmore began 'Waft her, angels'.

[Looking through the programme, which had the full libretto, I wonder how difficult it was to sing, 'Laud her all ye Virgin train'?]
          Last edited by french frank; 13-01-18, 18:52.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

The first aria of Handel's Athelia is "Blooming Virgins".

Comment

• Maclintick
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Welsh National Opera performed a fully-staged version in 2003. It was an excellent production, conducted by Paul McCreesh, with Mark Padmore, Christopher Purves and Susan Bickley. With the WNO Chorus too, I reckon it would have given most recordings some competition.
              Thanks FF. Wish I'd heard this, as it sounds as if an operatic rendition would perhaps encompass the work's darker and more anguished dimensions in the way GFH intended, but was prevented by censorship from accomplishing on the work's première. The BAL choice struck me as very beautiful, in an English middle-class , & dare I say it, Oxbridgey way..bereft of existential angst, & far too comfortable..

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
                Thanks FF. Wish I'd heard this, as it sounds as if an operatic rendition would perhaps encompass the work's darker and more anguished dimensions in the way GFH intended, but was prevented by censorship from accomplishing on the work's première. The BAL choice struck me as very beautiful, in an English middle-class , & dare I say it, Oxbridgey way..bereft of existential angst, & far too comfortable..
                It certainly did work very well - a joint enterprise between Paul McCreesh and director Katie Mitchell, I think. Only the HIPP sound was missing!
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                X