• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 6.01.18 - Ligeti recordings

Building a Library: As part of New Year New Music Gillian Moore surveys recordings of music by György Ligeti (1923 - 2006). He was born in Hungary, one the most important avant-garde composers in the latter half of the twentieth century. He emigrated to Austria in 1956, and became an Austrian citizen in 1968. His works include Atmosphères for orchestra and the "anti-opera" Le Grand Macabre.

Recommended Recording:
    THE LIGETI PROJECT: VOLUMES 1-5
    Various artists

Other Recommended Recordings:

LIGETI: WORKS FOR STRING QUARTET
    Arditti String Quartet

LIGETI: A CAPELLA CHORAL WORKS
    London Sinfonietta Voices; Terry Edwards

LIGETI: WORKS FOR PIANO
    Pierre-Laurent Aimard

LIGETI: NONSENSE MADRIGALS & OTHER VOCAL WORKS
    Pierre-Laurent Aimard (piano); Irina Kataeva (piano); The King’s Singers; The Philharmonia Orchestra; Esa-Pekka Salonen

LIGETI: WORKS FOR BARREL-ORGAN & PLAYER PIANO
    Pierre Charial (barrel organ); Jürgen Hocker (piano); Françoise Terrioux (metronomes)

LIGETI: KEYBOARD WORKS
    Pierre-Laurent Aimard (piano); Irina Kataeva (piano); Elisabeth Chojnacka (harpsichord); Zsigmond Szathmáry (organ)

LIGETI: CHAMBER MUSIC
    Pierre-Laurent Aimard (piano); Saschko Gawriloff (violin); Marie-Luise Neunecker (french horn); Philippa Davies (flute); Michael Collins (clarinet); Gareth Hulse (oboe); Robin O'Neill (bassoon); Richard Watkins (french horn); Tabea Zimmermann (viola)

LIGETI: LE GRAND MACABRE
    Sibylle Ehlert; Laura Claycomb; Charlotte Hellekant; Jard van Nes; Philharmonia Orchestra; Esa-Pekka Salonen

GYORGY LIGETI: CLEAR OR CLOUDY
    Various artists

GYORGY LIGETI: COMPLETE PIANO MUSIC
    Frederick Ullen
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 06-01-18, 20:38.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Building a Library: As part of New Year New Music Gillian Moore surveys recordings of music by György Ligeti (1923 - 2006). He was born in Hungary, one the most important avant-garde composers in the latter half of the twentieth century. He emigrated to Austria in 1956, and became an Austrian citizen in 1968. His works include Atmosphères for orchestra and the "anti-opera" Le Grand Macabre

The Violin Concerto is a favourite of mine since I saw Tasmin Little with Rattle and the BPO at the Proms. Pat Kop's recording is the one to have for this, in my view.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

A refreshing start to 2018's BaLs... Looking forward to this.

I have Lux Aeterna on DG (with Steinberg's The Planets) and remember enjoying it when I acquired it years ago. Must have another listen!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

There are too many Ligeti recordings to make a useful list for comparisons, but here's a list of recordings available from Presto Classical.

A profile of the composer György Ligeti (1923-2006), along with a list of their works available to browse and buy.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Having loved The Clangers as a child their appearance in Ligeti's violin concerto always surprises me .

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Sony had a Ligeti Edition around 20 years ago. I had purchased a couple of recordings-I remember some Piano Music and a disc by the Arditti Qt. that sounded very Bartokian--I will have to search the shelves to see if I still have them.
            What was the name of the Ligeti piece that was in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              What was the name of the Ligeti piece that was in the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey?
              That was Atmospheres.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                That was Atmospheres.
                And this Lux Aeterna

Atmospheres is (IMV) the greatest (if such a thing exists?) piece of orchestral music written in the last 100 years

(He was born in Romania)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  And this Lux Aeterna

Atmospheres is (IMV) the greatest (if such a thing exists?) piece of orchestral music written in the last 100 years

(He was born in Romania)
                  Ah, you beat me to it, MrGG.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

I very much doubt that I will be purchasing any works by this composer as a result of the BaL survey.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Building a Library: As part of New Year New Music Gillian Moore surveys recordings of music by György Ligeti (1923 - 2006). He was born in Hungary, one the most important avant-garde composers in the latter half of the twentieth century. He emigrated to Austria in 1956, and became an Austrian citizen in 1968. His works include Atmosphères for orchestra and the "anti-opera" Le Grand Macabre
                      I only like certain Ligeti works, eg the Violin Concerto. I still remember that mesmerising performance that Tasmin Little gave at a prom concert a few years ago with the Berliners under Rattle. I hope Chandos will record this work, say with the BBCSO and Sir Andrew Davis, or even Rattle and the LSO!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        And this Lux Aeterna

(He was born in Romania)
                        Yes, Lux Aeterna, unforgettably apt to the trans-Lunar journey to the crater; Atmosphères after Dave, supposedly setting out for Jupiter in the spacepod, falls into the stargate of the Monolith; but there was another - the Kyrie from the Requiem is in 2001 ​as well.... ah, but where.....? (**)

(**) Clue: it's used as a leitmotif for...
                        (Oh and, an electronic arrangement of Aventures is supposedly in the soundtrack somewhere too, but I've never heard it for myself...)
                        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 29-12-17, 18:02.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I seem to recall this recent issue getting the thumbs up. Nice for me to think that some of the performances were recorded in the little chapel just down the road from where I live.

Comment

• Alison
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            I very much doubt that I will be purchasing any works by this composer as a result of the BaL survey.
                            You mean you've got what you want already, Nethersage?

Or don't rate Gillian Moore?

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              You mean you've got what you want already, Nethersage?

Or don't rate Gillian Moore?
                              I have something of a superfluity of Ligeti recordings, many being duplicates due to buying boxed sets in addition to earlier single disc releases. I hope she has a good word or two for the Blu-ray of the revised version of "Le Grand Macabre".

Comment

Working...
                              X