• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    Every time I play the Piano, I am reminded that the instrument is a member of the Percussion Family
    Better than me - I make it sound like a member of the typewriter family!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I have - and the conclusion is that they are and it isn't. Why do you think that other people - including both professional and amateur Musicians - find these repeats an important part of their enjoyment of the work?
      I certainly wouldn't want to spoil other people's enjoyment. I remember being annoyed when I first followed the score of Mozart 40 at the age of 11, to find that Furtwangler omitted the repeats in the 2nd and 4th movements. But I was soon convinced that he was right, but many others clearly think otherwise.

(I was hoping you'd engage in a discussion of the nature of the D major Tonality in K405, but ... ah well.)

I'm not familiar with these Bach arrangements.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        I'm not familiar with these Bach arrangements.
        Hmmph! (I have yet to manage the knack of flouncing off whilst my flies are undone.) I meant the Eugarp Symphony, of course.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Off topic a little, I've just composed the shortest sonata form movement.
          That's not a sonata movement, it's a pop song!

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Hmmph! (I have yet to manage the knack of flouncing off whilst my flies are undone.) I meant the Eugarp Symphony, of course.
            ... ah, Gnagflow Trazom's Eugarp! A lufrednow krow!

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... ah, Gnagflow Trazom's Eugarp! A lufrednow krow!

This thread seems to have taken a retrograde step!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                That's not a sonata movement, it's a pop song!
                It can't be. It isn't in 4/4 time.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  I am quite unable to play an instrument or (as far as I know, the last, very distant time, I tried) sing. I never sing along to any of the music I listen to (although I'm sure I did, back in the day to Rock and Pop). I can just remember my father attempting to teach me on the piano, but - probably daunted by his own very evident, sight-reading, improvisational, prowess - I was all thumbs and soon gave up. Not that this should necessarily imply any thwarted, or untapped potential. I may (laboriously) fish out some detail from an imslp score (or similar), but if I try to follow one while listening, I always fall hopelessly behind, or get lost. So, somewhat counter-productive.

I often find very (over-)familiar themes from Classical Works forming jazzy, rhythmical, varyingly syncopated improvisations in my head.... a sort of musical doodling, I suppose. Or ​"Pleasure viewed from the Shores of Boredom", to misuse Roland Barthes. Beyond that dubious revelation, I don't claim any kind of musical creativity, let alone performing ability, at all.

I don't ever recall actually regretting my lack of ability to play the piano, or guitar or whatever.... always an adherent of embracing your fate, I concluded that, had I spent more time attempting to perfect, or improve, a practical musical ability, I would never have been able to access and devote my time to all the wonderful music I've spent so many wonderful hours actually listening to.
                  And I probably wouldn't have become an audiophile either. (Though I could blame Dad's hugely heavy, wooden-cased Akai-4000D, of which he made me the tonmeister ​of his own recordings, for that... (the early link between impressive engineering and sound....).

On Open Reel, I recorded the Top 40 mostly (Montego Bay, Alright Now, Ride a White Swan...). But I recall an early, fairly successful, effort from Radio 3 with the VPO/Karl Bohm in the Eroica, and thinking: if only my LPs could sound that good....
                  A very interesting reply and a great demonstration of different approaches to music and how we participate and what we get from it. As I have said before what a very personal thing it is and the degree of importance in our lives.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Just listened to the programme again. I thought the arguments made sense, and he gave brief nods to the early recordings (Schuricht, Kubelik, Walter, von Karajan, Beecham) which were always going to be non-starters. The rest of the time he concentrated on Norrington, Fischer and Jacobs - symphony orchestra, chamber orchestra and period instruments - with single mentions of others, and scads of other 'favourites' that weren't mentioned at all. In the end, with such a vast number available, I suppose the reviewer has to focus on a chosen (very) short list.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                    X