• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 18.11.17 - Rodgers: Oklahoma

Building a Library: Richard Sisson explores the ever-popular Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Oklahoma! It was the first musical written by the team of composer Richard Rodgers and librettist Oscar Hammerstein II. Set in Oklahoma Territory in 1906, the original Broadway production opened in 1943 and ran for 2,212 performances. The show was a milestone in the development of the "book musical", where the songs and dances are fully integrated into the story.

There are very few officially available versions, but some of the following can be found in the new and second-hand market, on CD, download and vinyl:-

Original 1949 Broadway production: Alfred Drake, Joan Roberts, Howard da Silva, Celeste Holm, Lee Dixon, Oklahoma Orchestra and Chorus, Jay Blackton

Nelson Eddy, Virginia Haskins, Portia Nelson, Wilton Clary, Kaye Ballard, Lee Cass, David Atkinson (download)

Original 1955 film soundtrack: Gordon MacRae, Gloria Graham, Chirley Jones, Gene Nelson, Oklahoma
    Orchestra

1979 Broadway revival

1980 London revival cast recording

1998 National Theatre recording. Hugh Jackman, Maureen Lipman, Josefina Gabrielle, Jimmy Johnston, Gavin Lee, Sidney Livingstone, Peter Polycarpou, Craig Purnell, David Shelmerdine, Vicki Simon, John Owen Edwards
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 18-11-17, 11:16.
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I enjoyed John Wilson's performance of this at the Proms this year. So be interesting to hear this BaL.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

Why is a totally different genre being featured as a BaL?

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        Only slightly different - there's a fine dividing line betweem musicals and operetta/light opera. Interesting that Alps chose to put Rogers as the composer ignoring Hammerstein, if it had been eg The Mikado would Gilbert's name have been omitted?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Genre-typing is hardly an exact science, so there will be a number of works where the lines are blurred.

It's Rogers and Hammerstein, btw - not just Rogers

Comment

• mikealdren
            • Nov 2010

Someone at BaL likes R&H, we've had South Pacific and Carousel already. We've had other musicals too, I don't have a problem with the odd one but there are lots of great works out there that we haven't heard on BaL. I guess the same problem occurs when works are repeated, there's not perfect solution, just don't make them Twofers....

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

I love musicals but in my view Oklahoma is probably more suited to Radio 2. Certainly BBC management are in the process of moving the boundaries between genres.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                I love musicals but in my view Oklahoma is probably more suited to Radio 2. Certainly BBC management are in the process of moving the boundaries between genres.
                Unfortunately it's most definitely a one-way system.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  It's Rogers and Hammerstein, btw - not just Rogers
                  True, of course.

Cosi fan tutti is by Mozart and Da Ponte. See Rosenkavalier is by Strauss and Hofmannsthal. Etc.

Librettists for musicals do seem to have been given a fairer crack of the whip.

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

I think it's acceptable to BAL musicals of this quality but I thought the admirable John Wilson's prom performance showed very well why it is necessary to cut and re-shape the piece for performance. Preferred version? Its the film soundtrack every time for me.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                      I think it's acceptable to BAL musicals of this quality but I thought the admirable John Wilson's prom performance showed very well why it is necessary to cut and re-shape the piece for performance. Preferred version? Its the film soundtrack every time for me.
                      I agree the soundtrack is excellent!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

The original cast album was apparently quite challenging in its restoration from 78s.

I look forward to hearing this.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          True, of course.

Librettists for musicals do seem to have been given a fairer crack of the whip.
                          I suspect that's because of the way that music was unfolding at the time in America when musicals were up and coming - the song-writer/songsmith phenomenon.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

I haven't got any problem with musicals featuring on R3 or BaL but why is it always the case that there are so few available recordings with elderly film soundtracks appearing to remain the best option? This is surely an odd situation with works which are 'ever popular' and stuffed with good tunes.

Is there an untapped market out there?
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              I suspect that's because of the way that music was unfolding at the time in America when musicals were up and coming - the song-writer/songsmith phenomenon.
                              Plus G & S of of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X