• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Even with Sting?

MrsBBM likes it, but what the hek was DG doing? Extra bucks methinks!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      Thanks for such a detailed and informative reply, Richard - and what a nice story.

Isn't there also a disc of keyboard transcriptions from Colin Tilney on the harpsichord within the box?
      Most of a disc - tracks 6-17 of disc 5, tracks 1-5 being the last bit of A Pilgrim's Solace (with Soprano ll ).

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

Thank you, Richard. Wow, the seventies and eighties were such halcyon days for the L'Oiseau Lyre label - I remember eagerly awaiting each new release.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          Thanks for such a detailed and informative reply, Richard - and what a nice story.

Funnily enough, the set is still commanding quite a high price, considering the age of the recordings. As you say, it is the most comprehensive collection and even if there are now superior recordings from the same artists, it remains a fascinating document of HIP performances from the golden era of L'Oiseau Lyre.

I really would like the songs, so suppose I will need to get it. I'm surprised that there has not been another complete collection of the songs ever since.

Isn't there also a disc of keyboard transcriptions from Colin Tilney on the harpsichord within the box?
          I don't think it unreasonable to pay £33.31 plus £1.50 for a 12 CD set such as this. That's the current price (new) at Presto Classical, by the way. There is a "Used: Very Good" set on amazon.co.uk for a little less, but has writing on 5 of the first 5 envelopes.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Ah, thanks, Bryn...I didn't realise that it could be had for such a good price at Presto.

I'm torn at the moment - so many other discs that I want to acquire as well!

Comment

Working...
            X