• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    Attended a performance of this by Phantasm last year and have had my eye on their recording for a while now...
    ^^ Yes!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Lots if interesting stuff. Lindberg & co - the top and bottom lines too forward at the expense of the middle, was more or less it. I can't remember who it was who opened my ears to listening to viol consort music by pointing out that each line was of equal value - unlike the typical string quartet - try to concentrate on just one line, maybe a different one each time. The Consort of Musicke, the pioneers here, lost out by virtue of being the first, the bar having been raised steadily since. Good to know after all these years which of the lutenists listed in the booklet (everybody who was anybody, just about) was the one playing in the Lachrimae (Julian Creme) - not specified in the booklet (Bailes, Rooley, Lindberg, North and Wilson the lutenists on the solo lute discs).

Savall & Hesperion XX slow.... A special for the John Potter Dowland Project with vocals - not sure I'd want to revisit that.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

... a really excellent BaL. I only had the Rooley; I shall be getting five more as a result of this - Phantasm/Kenny; Holloway; Parley/Holman; Mus: Ant: Koln/Goebel; Fretwork/Wilson. All seemed available pretty cheaply on amazon...

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I have Fretwork, so maybe time to see about Phantasm's account?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            I have Fretwork, so maybe time to see about Phantasm's account?
            It did sound rather splendid to me, Bbm - mind you, so did most of them! Could be quite an expensive BaL for me in the long run - I'm very happy to say!
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              It did sound rather splendid to me, Bbm - mind you, so did most of them! Could be quite an expensive BaL for me in the long run - I'm very happy to say!
              Sounds good to me Ferney! I might just get a couple more, on top. One can never get too much of Dowland.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                One can never get too much of Dowland.
                Even with Sting?

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

..and not a mention of Rose Tremain's Music and Silence!

I too enjoyed today's programme, but felt Kirsten Gibson went for the faster offerings. For me the sound of a bow drawn across the string of a viol is the ultimate heart-wrenching experience (the Purcell Fantasias are my favourites) and I rather like to wallow in the slower tempi. But Phantasm are rather good, if a tad swift for my taste.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    Phantasm are rather good, if a tad swift for my taste.
                    I agree. I have a few of their CDs, generally of repertoire other haven't recorded, and I often find that despite their highly accomplished playing they skate over details I would prefer to dwell on (in darkness).

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      ..and not a mention of Rose Tremain's Music and Silence!
                      Kirsten Munk!
                      I too enjoyed today's programme, but felt Kirsten Gibson went for the faster offerings. For me the sound of a bow drawn across the string of a viol is the ultimate heart-wrenching experience (the Purcell Fantasias are my favourites) and I rather like to wallow in the slower tempi. But Phantasm are rather good, if a tad swift for my taste.
                      Perhaps I'll have to get the Hesp XX as well...

Comment

• Master Jacques
                        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        (that was for MickyD)

I was much taken with the Phantasm sound from the first extract she played. Dr Gibson too prefers her pavans uninterrupted

An excellently constructed BAL I thought - loads of extracts, analysis short and to the point. I don't think I've heard Dr Gibson before but look forward to doing so again.

I couldn't have a luteless version, on principle
                        All seconded! After the wretched effort on Il tabarro last week, this was BaL returning to form with a vengeance. The reviewer really got me thinking about the piece, what it means, where it comes from - and what it needs in performance. I too will be supplementing my cherished old Consort of Musicke recording after this useful, properly comparative review.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Just out of interest, do any members own the 12 CD Dowland set from L'Oiseau Lyre? I've been tempted to buy it for some time, but wonder how it stands up to the test of time. I guess it's the only collection where you can find all the songs. I already have Paul O'Dette's complete lute traversal for Harmonia Mundi and that's very fine.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

I also greatly enjoyed the analysis. My only recording is Parley on Hyperion with Paul O'Dette on lute which I have been very happy with for a long time. It was one of my earliest CD purchases and I probably won't add to it.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              Just out of interest, do any members own the 12 CD Dowland set from L'Oiseau Lyre? I've been tempted to buy it for some time, but wonder how it stands up to the test of time. I guess it's the only collection where you can find all the songs. I already have Paul O'Dette's complete lute traversal for Harmonia Mundi and that's very fine.
                              I do, Micky. It's probably the songs which have stood the test of time best - Emma Kirkby, Martyn Hill etc....I've told the story before of sitting in the (late lamented) London Spanish Guitar Centre in Cranbourne St choosing a guitar and playing various pieces inc. Dowland, while Barry Mason's wife and son were busy in the other room. As I was leaving (plus new guitar) Barry said "My wife says thank you for the Dowland by the way" - turned out she was Glenda Simpson, "Soprano ll" on the discs

The 4 discs of the lute pieces have not - Messrs Lindberg and North in particular have gone on to much greater things, their individual traversals incomparably superior, standards of both playing and lute-making have improved immeasurably. I don't return to those at all. And Christopher Wilson sounds much better on more recent discs e.g. of John Johnson. Dr Gibson's comments yesterday on the pavans probably apply to the consort music as a whole. The penalty of being pioneers.....though the great Catherine Mackintosh is there....

But I don't know anywhere else where you have everything Dowland wrote (inc. a few things of uncertain provenance), plus some arrangements, under one roof. A great reference collection. What are they charging for it? I got it quite cheaply, I rather think from the long-defunct Britannia Records.

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

Thanks for such a detailed and informative reply, Richard - and what a nice story.

Funnily enough, the set is still commanding quite a high price, considering the age of the recordings. As you say, it is the most comprehensive collection and even if there are now superior recordings from the same artists, it remains a fascinating document of HIP performances from the golden era of L'Oiseau Lyre.

I really would like the songs, so suppose I will need to get it. I'm surprised that there has not been another complete collection of the songs ever since.

Isn't there also a disc of keyboard transcriptions from Colin Tilney on the harpsichord within the box?

Comment

Working...
                                X