• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

BaL 21.10.17 - Puccini: Il Tabarro

Building a Library on Puccini's opera Il Tabarro with Anna Picard. Tabarro is the first in Puccini's triptych of one-act operas, Il Trittico. Set on a barge on the Seine, it is a sordid tale of lust and revenge among the tinkers and stevedores of early-20th century Paris. And out of this grim world Puccini's passionate music pulsates with hope and passion.

Available versions:

Choir and Orchestra of the Vienna State Opera, Gerd Albrecht
    Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, Bruno Bartoletti
    Chorus & Orchestra of the Opera House, Rome, Vincenzo Bellezza
    Orchestra and Chorus of Teatro alla Scala Milan, Riccardo Chailly
    Teatro Comunale di Firenze, Gaetano Delogu
    New Symphony Orchestra, Edward Downes (DVD)
    Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, Lamberto Gardelli
    Teatro alla Scala, Milan, Gianandrea Gavazzeni (DVD)
    Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin, Rolf Kleinert
    John Alldis Choir, New Philharmonia Orchestra, Erich Leinsdorf
    Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and Chorus, James Levine (DVD)
    Vienna State Opera, Wilhelm Loibner
    New Philharmonia Orchestra, Lorin Maazel
    Royal Opera Chorus & Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Antonio Pappano DVD/Blu-Ray
    Maria Guleghina, Neil Shicoff, Carlo Guelfi, London Symphony Orchestra, Antonio Pappano
    Münchner Rundfunkorchester, Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Giuseppe Patanè
    Orchester der Bayerischen Staatsoper, Wolfgang Sawallisch
    Hessian Radio Orchestra, Kurt Schröder
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 21-10-17, 12:52.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Apologies for the late arrival for this one. I've been away from home for two weeks, with only a phone with fast-disappearing data credit.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

As ever, thanks for all your efforts on these threads.

I'll enjoy this BAL - I like the piece - even though the plot is....melodramatic. I'm a little familiar with it - I once sang chorus in a non-professional production of "Il Trittico" (Well, I had a minor part in "Gianni Schicci". And was offstage chorus in Suor Angelica)
      Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 19-10-17, 16:06.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
        • Apr 2011

Pappano all the way for me. I have his LSO Trittico on CD and his ROH Trittico (with a shattering Suor Angelica) on Blu-Ray. Don't feel the need for another, but I will of course listen carefully to what Anna Picard has to tell us.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
          Pappano all the way for me. I have his LSO Trittico on CD and his ROH Trittico (with a shattering Suor Angelica) on Blu-Ray. Don't feel the need for another, but I will of course listen carefully to what Anna Picard has to tell us.
          I've seen the production live twice, Pappano/ROH. Cannot disagree, my only regret is that Terfel wasn't on the DVD - I thought he played the perfect Gianni Schicchi - cigarette hanging off his lips, vigorously acted, obviously on the make from the first moment on the stage. Once I've seen a role acted so perfectly (in my eyes, of course) others tend to pale in comparison. (as in Domingo=Otello, Halfvarson= Grand Inquisitor, etc).

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
            I've seen the production live twice, Pappano/ROH. Cannot disagree, my only regret is that Terfel wasn't on the DVD - I thought he played the perfect Gianni Schicchi - cigarette hanging off his lips, vigorously acted, obviously on the make from the first moment on the stage. Once I've seen a role acted so perfectly (in my eyes, of course) others tend to pale in comparison. (as in Domingo=Otello, Halfvarson= Grand Inquisitor, etc).

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
              • Jan 2014

I do miss the Intermezzo blog - production photos and opinions here:

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

This is new to me, so I be interested.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Are there really two LSO/Pappano versions, Alpie?

I remember quite enjoying the TV broadcast, but not really enough to want to add to my collection.
                  I see that I have a BBC MM cover CD version of a Proms performance, under Noseda; I have no memory of it, so might be encouraged to listen if I warm to the work more after the BaL (but it has the BBC Singers as the chorus; I wonder if I ever even got round to playing it!).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    Are there really two LSO/Pappano versions, Alpie?
                    I may be wrong, but it appears that there are two, with slightly differing casts. I'll check again.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Have snapped up a second-hand copy of the Pappano /LSO for £7 this morning on Amazon . The Gramophone review of the set says that the Philharmonia were the orchestra in Suor Angelica.

Comment

• Master Jacques
                        • Feb 2012

Anna Picard's essay on Il tabarro was disappointingly dull, for this least dull of all operas. It wasn't so much a comparative review, more (in gaming parlance) a linear plot walkthrough. She played no comparative passages to let us hear differences in interpretation. She said little about different singing qualities, and less about recording ambience. She said nothing as to which versions did or did not include the alternative aria for Michele as an appendix (which is rather important, as this is a short opera).

Picard is an academic rather than a natural broadcaster, which is not her fault; but she conveyed little about the piece or the comparative merits of the recordings. If you are playing an extract, the least you have to do is point listeners towards what to listen out for (i.e. why you are playing that particular highlight/lowlight). This was not up to standard: I thought Andrew Macgregor's sotto voce comment at the end ("Doesn't she tell the story well?") revealed that he was thinking some of the same thoughts, concerning what his reviewer had not done!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Not as bad review I thought. It certainly drew me in. What drama, as this is the first time I knew this opera even existed!!!
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Master Jacques
                            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            Not as bad review I thought. It certainly drew me in. What drama, as this is the first time I knew this opera even existed!!!
                            It has claims to be Puccini's masterpiece, at least his most perfect; and I'm very glad to hear that Picard's review perhaps led you to explore it further.

I suppose for anyone who didn't know the plot, this was useful (though narrated in a dry manner) as Mr Macgregor indicated. For those who do know it, this review was disappointingly thin and superficial, offering no new insights and a few new prejudices (such as her assertion that the casting had to be "age appropriate", as if it were some kind of TV sit com.)

No. Any good broadcaster's art is to "square the circle" by offering newcomers such as yourself a way in, without boring listeners who do have a knowledge of the work, and value Record Review for revealing differing aspects of performances, in depth. This Picard dismally failed to do, except by offering a brief summary line half way through.

Considering she was given longer to talk about it than the whole piece takes in performance, I fear this was not up to scratch.

Comment

• gradus
                              • Nov 2010

Not knowing the opera I enjoyed the review and I thought the music extraordinary even by Puccini's standards - that scream at the end was unnerving. Fabulous piece but just as well it is balanced by the other two one-acters, otherwise a very gloomy night at the opera.

Comment

Working...
                              X