• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
    A bit like "I'm afraid old Campoli will now play the violin", the reason he reputedly stopped using his first name.
    New to me too

Point of information: Do I conclude that the BaL choice (not far short of an hour for all 6 pieces) was 'represented' on Sunday Morning by a Handel Trio Sonata lasting c. 6 mins?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Listened to both the Egarr and Pinnock since . I think my first loyalty remains to the Pinnock with the exceptional oboe playing of David Reichenberg.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Listened to both the Egarr and Pinnock since . I think my first loyalty remains to the Pinnock with the exceptional oboe playing of David Reichenberg.
        I think I must do the same. Listen to the Pinnock.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          I'm sure he did, but I'm not really sure what his justification was for playing it in such an aggressive way... Mind you, I'm not sure whether there's any more justification for doing it the smooth English way. My feeling is his Handel recordings are highly variable - I haven't heard the Ode, but I thought Belshazzar was great and Saul not good at all. Why? It was a long time ago when I heard the latter, I don't really recall. On the other hand I'm always very impressed with his Haydn and Mozart (I mean the Concentus recordings), Beethoven not so much, and then of course there's all the earlier more obscure repertoire which he seemed to abandon from the 1970s onwards.
          I had made a contribution to our local Classical Radio Station during. Fundraiser and was sent a set of his Schubert Symphonies with the Concertgebouw (I think). I had tossed them on the CD pile but in one of my attempts at CD management found them a few days ago and played the ‘Great’ C Major. I really liked the way he zipped through II, and he also kept slowly increasing the pulse in IV. I intend to give the rest an audition and I’d be curious about his Beethoven.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            I had made a contribution to our local Classical Radio Station during. Fundraiser and was sent a set of his Schubert Symphonies with the Concertgebouw (I think). I had tossed them on the CD pile but in one of my attempts at CD management found them a few days ago and played the ‘Great’ C Major. I really liked the way he zipped through II, and he also kept slowly increasing the pulse in IV. I intend to give the rest an audition and I’d be curious about his Beethoven.
            Are you sure it was not the Berlin Phil? They were sufficiently approving of their recordings of the Schubert Symphonies to issue them on their own label (CD and Blu-ray) along with Masses 5 and 9 plus Alfonso und Estrella.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Are you sure it was not the Berlin Phil? They were sufficiently approving of their recordings of the Schubert Symphonies to issue them on their own label (CD and Blu-ray) along with Masses 5 and 9 plus Alfonso und Estrella.
              There is a Concertgebouw set of the Schubert Symphonies, too, though (and at considerably less cost than the [?] Live BPO):

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
              X