Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Tempted by the winner, especially having just listened on YouTube.

The reviewer didn't play, let alone recommend any piano-accompanied, performance. I know Wagner's pianism was not thought to be great but it is what he wrote and many singers seem to relish the directness and intimacy of doing the songs that way. Alpie lists about twenty above. I wasn't there, alas, but Karita Mattila had rave reveiws at the Wigmore earlier this year.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      I thought this one of the most perverse BALs I've heard in a long while. Made me cross enough to listen more closely!!
      Yes, choosing informative clips from something as long-lined and languorous as the Wesendonck Lieder is going to be tough, but to even think Bernstein was near perfect in this work made me splutter tea.

I thought the Bernstein and Ms Farrell sounded pretty fine! I got a lot out of this review as far as it went, although it seemed for much of its length to be operating on the basis of half a dozen pre-selected discs.

The annoying thing for me was that no-one mentioned who was singing the introductory extract - merely introduced by AMcG as "sounds like this..." . Annoying because that version sounded great to me! Logically one might guess it was Varady, but having rewound and fast-forwarded to compare with the named Varady extracts, I don't think it was. Who the hell was it?! What's the point of featuring an extract and not telling us who it was?

Anyone know?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        I too have that Anne Evans CD and feel no need to supplement it will an alternative.
        I have that Anne Evans CD and won't add to it. A good BaL I thought - but then I find all of them good or excellent.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

She's wonderful, what a great disc that is. Possibly my favourite Four Last Songs of all.

You certainly do RC
          EMT is very good and it is odd that the possessor of such a lovely voice was not taken up by a bigger record company .

The accompaniments are ,however, no more than worthy . Morgen also strikes me as too slow .

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Bought a copy of the winner at a very reasonable price . I can see why Ms Loges went for it - well conducted , beautifully sung and with real care for the text . As much as the omission of Janet Baker annoyed me the winner is outstanding .

Comment

Working...
            X