• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I don't know whether the Zefiro / Bernardini on arcana due to be released on 23 June

is different from the Zefiro / Bernardini already in the catalogue, apparently recorded at the Lufthansa Festival in 2003 -

Yes, both of these are re-releases of this one (St Johns Smith Square 9/06/2003) which I bought when it came out...

...and very entertaining it is!

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
      Has anyone counted up the number of Telemann's works? It's an awful lot!
      I thought that, since my question aroused such a frenzy of interest, you might like to know that, among Telemann's Church Cantatas, No 1748 is 'Singet dem Herrn'.

Anyone hum that for us?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I don't know whether the Zefiro / Bernardini on arcana due to be released on 23 June

is different from the Zefiro / Bernardini already in the catalogue, apparently recorded at the Lufthansa Festival in 2003 -

Glad that I clicked on Vint's lower link as Amazon tell me that I bought the CD in 2013 - I have no memory of doing so. Clearly swayed by the good taste of fellow forumistas. On looking at the contents of the silver Archiv box, I see that it contains MAK/Goebel so I hope that it might be a purchase-free BaL.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
          Has anyone counted up the number of Telemann's works? It's an awful lot!
          Bach, Mozart and Schubert were, in comparison, extremely frugal.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I also have Reinhard Goebel Musica Antiqua Koln.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              I also have Reinhard Goebel Musica Antiqua Koln.
              Same here. I've not listened to it in years, but my memory is that I didn't find it that interesting. Time to take another listen and probably shake my head at my former self.
              Steve

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                Same here. I've not listened to it in years, but my memory is that I didn't find it that interesting. Time to take another listen and probably shake my head at my former self.
                Yes, you should...it is a dazzling recording.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

It's on now.

Comment

• doversoul1
                    Ex Member
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    It's on now.
                    Very enjoyable. Both the music and the comments.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Sophisticated wallpaper IMO, but efficiently reviewed.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Excellent so far.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

Despite others' enthusiasm for the Zefiro recording it's definitely one that would drive me up the wall in the 'Hesi---Tation' excerpt greeted with such enthusiasm by Heighes. A relief therefore when he dropped it later, on the grounds that some of its tricks might not bear library-choice repetitions. My own patience wore out well before the first such!

Have to agree with DracoM about sophisticated musical wallpaper though. So my one recording, King's Consort, will be enough.
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            Despite others' enthusiasm for the Zefiro recording it's definitely one that would drive me up the wall in the 'Hesi---Tation' excerpt greeted with such enthusiasm by Heighes. A relief therefore when he dropped it later, on the grounds that some of its tricks might not bear library-choice repetitions. My own patience wore out well before the first such!

Have to agree with DracoM about sophisticated musical wallpaper though. So my one recording, King's Consort, will be enough.
                            Yeeerrrs - except that the same description fits Handel's homonymous work, and I have three recordings of that. The "chosen" one - which doesn't seem to be readily available (certainly Amazon don't seem to have it - at least not on the "shelf" one would expect to find it) - seemed most enjoyable to go alongside the (not even mentioned) Pickett which vinty very kindly pointed out for me and which has given me much pleasure over the past four days. I will probably add the "Chamber" version to my collection, too - I found it much more convincing than did Mr Heighes.

EDIT: I'm sure MickyD would have agreed, but it was vinty who recommended the Pickett, not (as I originally wrote) he. My apologies to both, and further thanks to vinty.
                            Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 24-06-17, 13:54.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              : The "chosen" one - which doesn't seem to be readily available (certainly Amazon don't seem to have it - at least not on the "shelf" one would expect to find it)
                              Although no details of what exactly is (or is not included) in this forthcoming re-bundling by Harmonia Mundi of 7 CDs in a single box, one might hazard a guess that it will include this morning's choice - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telemann-Co...mann+companion

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                Indeed!

Comment

Working...
                                X