Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
    Just in case there is still confusion here, I'll restate, that I think there was a relatively recent survey, in the BBC Music Magazine, that selected Kovacevitch's newish, Onyx recording as the best available!
    Just so I understand, is this the one whose opening waltz Iain B played the other day, immediately after Bernard Roberts playing it?

I thought it was far too fast - and I have the Stephen Kovacevich 1968 version.

Comment

• silvestrione
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Just so I understand, is this the one whose opening waltz Iain B played the other day, immediately after Bernard Roberts playing it?

Ian Burnside did not say, but it must have been the new one. Too fast...but made you sit up and take notice alright!

Comment

• Lordgeous
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post

Agreed. His 1968 version has given me immence pleasure over the years and has always been one of my favourite piano recordings. Does anyone know where it was recorded?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just says "London, 2.1968" on the label...I have a 1990 Philips reissue with no further info.

Comment

• AmpH
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
            Agreed. His 1968 version has given me immence pleasure over the years and has always been one of my favourite piano recordings. Does anyone know where it was recorded?
            I believe it was 14 - 16 February 1968 at Wembley ( Brent ) Town Hall
            Last edited by AmpH; 25-06-17, 13:58.

Comment

• Lordgeous
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
              I believe it was 14 - 16 February 1968 at Wembley ( Brent ) Town Hall
              Interesting. Many thanks. I asked that as a recording engineer, having battled to get a good piano sound over the years!

Comment

• silvestrione
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                Interesting. Many thanks. I asked that as a recording engineer, having battled to get a good piano sound over the years!
                Very interesting! I do hope you can tell us more about this, at some point!

In terms of capturing piano sound, the Philips Brendel recordings have been some that have pleased me most, over the years, e.g. his Liszt analogue Annees de Pelerinage, analogue Schubert G Major Sonata, the Benediction, etc. The live Diabelli pretty successful too!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

I've just borrowed Paul Lewis' version from the local library so I'll look forward to spinning this later on.

Comment

• silvestrione
                    • Jan 2011

I've relistened now, from the iplayer, to the Staier, with fresh ears, and I must say, for the first time, I've fallen in love with the sound of an historical instrument! Fine, involving performance too...when I owned it and got rid of it, it was the slight gimmicky quality that put me off, and I can certainly do without the janissary stop.

Also just played the Pollini again. For me, this is a great performance, enthralling and intense, played with fierce concentration, and no-one but no-one (that I've heard) equals him in the movement from the largo, to the fugue, to the minuet, and the coda.

He just drops behind Schnabel and Brendel, on my list, for their greater range.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      I've just borrowed Paul Lewis' version from the local library so I'll look forward to spinning this later on.
                      I love this version, PG. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lordgeous
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                        Very interesting! I do hope you can tell us more about this, at some point!

In terms of capturing piano sound, the Philips Brendel recordings have been some that have pleased me most, over the years, e.g. his Liszt analogue Annees de Pelerinage, analogue Schubert G Major Sonata, the Benediction, etc. The live Diabelli pretty successful too!
                        Semi-retired now but last piano recording was for Somm: http://nicolameecham.co.uk/sommrecords.html
                        I started life as a classical producer/engineer, having a small but well-regarded label: Crescent Records. Drifted into rock production and recording but in later years moved back into film, TV and classical work. I think a good piano recording depends as much on the venue as the player and instrument.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

The new recording on Alpha with the pianist Filippo Gorini gets and enthusiastic 5 stars from Kate Molleson in today's G2, I will have a listen when it becomes available for streaming on QOBUZ (25th inst.) but at 57'29" it does look a bit stretched to me,especially compared to someone like Gulda. Anyone here heard it yet?

Comment

Working...
                          X