Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I didn't realise that the live Argerich/Dutoit recording was in that box set. Yet ANOTHER set I'll have to explore!

I tried to find the EMI disc that contained the Prokofiev/Bartok 3 recording but appear to have mislaid it. I need to start digging around in boxes again.

Just reserved from the wonderful Edinburgh City Library Music Dept.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      I didn't realise that the live Argerich/Dutoit recording was in that box set. Yet ANOTHER set I'll have to explore!

I tried to find the EMI disc that contained the Prokofiev/Bartok 3 recording but appear to have mislaid it. I need to start digging around in boxes again.

Just reserved from the wonderful Edinburgh City Library Music Dept.
      Eh ? Don't they usually reserve stuff from you ?
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Btw. was there any mention of Yefim Bronfman?
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          Btw. was there any mention of Yefim Bronfman?
          Can I refer you to my post (no.54) where the same question was asked of Beroff. Same applies to Bronfman.

"Briefly, in a list of several players who did something in a certain way - (not derogatorilly, I should add) so briefly, in fact that I missed exactly what!
          Beroff and Masur - a superb set IMVHO"

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Not sure I was convinced by the winner - if Prokofiev gives a direction for the end of the variation does that not tend to suggest he wanted contrast in the variation ? Sounded a bit mannered to me if not in the Olli Mustonen class has any other pianist ever made such a career of thinking he knows much better than the composer and pulling it all out of shape

Comment

• Maclintick
              • Jan 2012

Just caught up with this very stimulating BAL. Marina Frolova-Walker enlarged my appreciation & understanding of Prokofiev PC3, relating it to the fantastical world of "The Love of Three Oranges" & to the composer's full-on embrace of neoclassicism.

I'm not binning Argerich/BPO/Abbado, but Krainev/Moscow Phil/Kitaenko is also essential listening. Don't confuse the Moscow version with a Frankfurt RSO/Kitaenko set -- altogether inferior in interpretation & execution. Listen to the hair-raising 1st movt. coda in both, where Krainev sets a blistering speed matched by the Moscow strings, inaudibly fudged by their German counterparts. Sadly, the Melodiya recording quality isn't really up to scratch, but those Moscow Phil bassoons & trombones embrace the comedic elements missed, erroneously perceived as vulgar & distasteful by certain Western (& Far-Eastern !) interpreters, if judged by their insipid and/or perversely hyper-Romantic effusions -- Lang Lang/Rattle being the most egregious example, as demonstrated by M F-W in this perceptive BAL.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

I looked up this cd on eBay on Saturday morning and came across a disc for £1.24 advertised as 'Krainev, Prokofiev 2 + 3' so I took a punt and bought it. Well, it just arrived and, inevitably, it's the Frankfurt RSO version under Kitaenko. I'm still enjoying it although if his other recording is better then it must be pretty good! I'm certainly hearing lots of orchestral detail I've not noticed before.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

I noted that the reviewer said she had listened to 25 recordings . I wonder which ones in Alpie's list she did not listen to .

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Listened to the Krainev performance from start to finish at last (Qobuz HiRes stream).

What a winner - absolute joy
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Listened to the Krainev performance from start to finish at last (Qobuz HiRes stream).

What a winner - absolute joy
                      Thanks Cali. I hope to listen to this via Spotify Premium tomorrow.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

I picked up the Argerich recording with Dutoit from the library this morning. It's certainly very lively with some challenging tempi. Although the orchestral playing isn't as good as Abbado's Berliner Philharmoniker it's certainly extremely competent.

The only thing that puts me off this set is the terrible packaging! I opened the box before checking out to ensure all the discs were present and correct whereupon all the discs fell on the library floor. Oh well...

Comment

Working...
                        X