... or for a little more you could get that plus a lot more -

http://amzn.eu/c6frPem
    Good point....

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      Good point....
      A marvellous set -two very different but marvellous Mahler 1s , the legendary 1947 Mahler 5 and that fabulous stereo Mahler 9 for a start.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Also if you want Urlicht Ferrier in 1951 live with Klemperer unsurpassed for me . What a recording she might have made with Walter or Barbirolli .

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LaurieWatt View Post
          I have to agree, particularly for this symphony which needs every minute of the limited time in relevant discussion! Mival loves the Rattle/CBSO for all its risk taking and involvement etc. I remember buying this all those years ago and just couldn't get into it and disposing of it. This was odd because Rattle did all the things with it I liked and in many ways it does indeed sound wonderful. It just, to me, felt uninvolving and anonymous and I couldn't think why until I learnt that in the first movement alone there were over 200 edits. Also, he dismisses Tennstedt for being too 'in your face', not to quote him - cannot remember his exact words, but which Tennstedt? The old EMI or the LPO label one, which is completely different?
          Thanks for that Laurie may explain also why I never felt it catch fire.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Magnífica presentación del Maestro Británico Sir Simon Rattle, la Orquesta Sinfónica y Coro Juvenil de la Ciudad de Birmingham, Hillevi Martinpelto (Soprano)...

Rattle live with CBSO. Big sounds!
            Last edited by DracoM; 22-04-17, 12:24.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LaurieWatt View Post
              I have to agree, particularly for this symphony which needs every minute of the limited time in relevant discussion! Mival loves the Rattle/CBSO for all its risk taking and involvement etc. I remember buying this all those years ago and just couldn't get into it and disposing of it. This was odd because Rattle did all the things with it I liked and in many ways it does indeed sound wonderful. It just, to me, felt uninvolving and anonymous and I couldn't think why until I learnt that in the first movement alone there were over 200 edits. Also, he dismisses Tennstedt for being too 'in your face', not to quote him - cannot remember his exact words, but which Tennstedt? The old EMI or the LPO label one, which is completely different?
              200 edits; no way!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

200 edits - That's not so much a Resurrection as a Dissection . A first movement with two hundred edits is not a performance but a collage. I would love to know how they got a blade - or more properly its digital equivalent , in between the notes of that.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Ferrier in the Urlicht

Kathleen Ferrier sings the fourth movement Gustav Mahler's Symphony #2, the "Resurrection" symphony. This is my favorite Ferrier recording - from a concert ...

Comment

• techniquest
                    • Jun 2012

With 200 edits in the first movement alone, I suspect that's why the CBSO / Rattle recording, sonically good as it is, somehow doesn't quite hit it with some of the contributors here (me included). I've never heard his Berlin recording, but I have the CBSO 'farewell' performance on dvd recorded from the TV and it is superb (despite the final tamtam fluff).
                    I was very disappointed with this edition of BaL and it has nothing to do with change. I agree that the twofer format really doesn't work if you have to squeeze considerations and comparisons of this huge work into an hour. Most alarming was the dismissal of Tennestedt's recordings completely and the apparent gushing over the live Barbirolli one despite such dreadful sound. Also notable for it's absence was the Fischer / Budapest recording which seems to be a preferred recording for many that I've noted over the years on various forums.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                      200 edits - That's not so much a Resurrection as a Dissection . A first movement with two hundred edits is not a performance but a collage. I would love to know how they got a blade - or more properly its digital equivalent , in between the notes of that.
                      Surely all this surgery must be conspicuous. I'll have to listen to it more intently.

Comment

• Maclintick
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        Also if you want Urlicht Ferrier in 1951 live with Klemperer unsurpassed for me . What a recording she might have made with Walter or Barbirolli .
                        Indeed -- the same thought struck me hearing the BAL extract of the excellent Maureen Forrester on the Walter 1958 (?) recording -- Bill Mival drew attention to her direct & unaffected but by no means affectless delivery which brought KF to mind.

Comment

• seabright
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
                          Indeed -- the same thought struck me hearing the BAL extract of the excellent Maureen Forrester on the Walter 1958 (?) recording -- Bill Mival drew attention to her direct & unaffected but by no means affectless delivery which brought KF to mind.
                          Needless to say, the Walter is complete on You Tube at the click of a key ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

I like the Rattle/CBSO recording but after hearing about how many edits the first movement had alone,, have to agree that it's more of a collage, than a performance!Solti, still sounds quite a natural performance to me.
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              Solti still sounds quite a natural performance to me.
                              BBM: LSO or CSO? I have a long liking for the former (though perhaps 'natural' wouldn't be my very first choice of adjective!). I don't know the latter.
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                                BBM: LSO or CSO? I have a long liking for the former (though perhaps 'natural' wouldn't be my very first choice of adjective!). I don't know the latter.
                                Yes - there is a certain heightened sense of awe, here, although the CSO is very bracing..... I love them both. The choice is in the moment.

I am very tempted to investigate Gergiev in this work. From the - all too brief - extracts played, I thought - wow! This is good...

Comment

Working...
                                X